Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Q for AZ members re smog test
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dredwin
Thinking of moving to Tucson and I have a 76 with smog equipment in a box and a 75 with a SBC. In CA, the 75 wouldn't need a smog test but AZ DMV site states that anything after 67 (and before 95?) would need an annual smog test. Never would have guessed a state with a more rigid smog requirement than CA.

Does anyone in AZ have a 914 with a SBC? If you do, how do you pass smog? I was expecting to sell my 76 but having to sell my 75, which I just got this past September would really suck. And I'd be sleeping on the couch because I assured my wife my "new" 75 was safe when it came to smog tests.

PM me if you don't want it public. Thanks
TravisNeff
They do a tailpipe test, they don't look under the hood and validate how many cylinders you have. There are members in AZ with v8 conversions

However, if you have a collector car insurance policy you do not have to do emissions testing.
michael7810
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Dec 14 2016, 10:49 PM) *

They do a tailpipe test, they don't look under the hood and validate how many cylinders you have. There are members in AZ with v8 conversions

However, if you have a collector car insurance policy you do not have to do emissions testing.

agree.gif
Plus collector car insurance & registration is cheap...cost me ~$100 for a 5-year plate and $150/year for insurance.
Coondog
agree.gif
914GT
My 1974 V8 car passed emissions every year with no problems, but the past couple of years they did a dyno test first. They do a gas cap check which was always fun to see the expression on their faces opening the front hood. A few times they wanted to look at the engine but it was more out of curiosity and fascination on how it fit in there. Finally put the car on the classic car policy with my 68 Chevelle. It was about $65 and my tags are now good until 2021. That's the way to go unless you like waiting in the emissions test lines once a year.

Edit: By the way, I built a 76 conversion several years ago and it had no trouble passing emissions with an SBC with roller cam. Mock catalytic converters were fabricated on the exhaust along with some other hoses to give it appearance that there was 76 smog equipment on it. I don't recall the inspectors looking at any of it when I took it over for test and later title/registration.
pbanders
agree.gif

Collector is the way to go in AZ.
stugray
Careful, talking about "Smog tests" or the "DMV" might be considered "political" discussion, and you might get accused of "pontificating".
Costa05
You guys just made my day. Living in Phx I was concerned about the smog test requirement on my build. Thanks
Dredwin
QUOTE(pbanders @ Dec 15 2016, 07:24 AM) *

agree.gif

I have American Collectors auto insurance (works closely with USAA) and I have limited miles as this is just a weekend driver. Would this insurance work or would I need to get special plates and very limited driving restrictions.

I feel so much better knowing there are some options. Thanks
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dredwin @ Dec 15 2016, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(pbanders @ Dec 15 2016, 07:24 AM) *

agree.gif

I have American Collectors auto insurance (works closely with USAA) and I have limited miles as this is just a weekend driver. Would this insurance work or would I need to get special plates and very limited driving restrictions.

I feel so much better knowing there are some options. Thanks

Same insurance here. Nevada has virtually the same smog laws. '67 and newer. Anything 20 years old or older can be classic registered. They still charge you what they would have gotten from the smog certificate. You are limited in the number of miles you can drive and must report mileage at every registration. I have had American Collectors for at least a decade and they have never asked me to update my mileage. Nevada once made me bring the car down for inspection because I guessed at the mileage and it was less than what I had reported the year before. blink.gif
TravisNeff
No special plates or limited miles. All you need is your collector policy
AZ914
If you don't do the collectors car route, they will do a CAT check on the 75 (first year for CATs)
Dredwin
Thanks for all the help. I have an on campus interview next month and honestly the thought of having to get rid of both of my cars was a pretty big negative to the job.
Costa05
U of A Wildcats?? Best wishes on the interview and welcome to AZ if you get the job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.