Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this a real /6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lalee914
Found this on COPART today. Not much left but the rear bumper looks like it could be from a /6
lalee914
Looks like it used to be a 914....
lalee914
Here's the link:

https://www.copart.com/lot/40100946/?result...wedLot=40100946
KELTY360
Gnarly sad.gif
siverson
Hahaha... you got us all. I know this is just the start of a new thread by fordb132. He'll have this ready to go for a New Years Day concours.

-Steve
lalee914
This one is so bad you couldn't even jack up the VIN plates and put a new car under them. You would have to forge some VIN plates first.

Anybody know the story behind this?

Also, if you look through COPART Porsche listings there were two 356s and some 912s to go with the usual 2017 models that were crashed/burned/stolen/flooded/etc.. Pretty sad.
porbmw
A couple of pics kind of show the left side of the dash....can you tell whether the ignition is on the left?
N_Jay
Looks like a structure fire.

Wasn't there a warehouse storing cars that went up recently?
jim_hoyland
The VIN listed in their ad isn't a 914 VIN...
Unobtanium-inc
That will buff out.... drooley.gif
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(lalee914 @ Dec 15 2016, 01:26 PM) *

Found this on COPART today. Not much left but the rear bumper looks like it could be from a /6

Rear valance has the early port hole but it is in the 914-4 location.
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 15 2016, 02:44 PM) *

That will buff out.... drooley.gif

Someone with a deeeep pocket should jump in and "save " it. biggrin.gif
Dominic
Looks like a -4, I don't see the ignition switch on the left side of the column.
carr914
it is a -6

rgalla9146
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 15 2016, 07:22 PM) *

it is a -6

OK TC here is my take.
Rear fog light bracket.....unusual on any car, most likely on a six
14" Fuchs....who would choose them on a conversion ?....original on a real 6
Solid aluminum steering wheel adapter for an Momo just like on my car. Not suitable
for a 4cyl. Can't see any evidence on the right of the column of an ignition lock.
In the pic from the drivers side into the interior the steering column appears to have
tabs that mount the plastic clamshells of a 6
The rear valence/exhaust does look like a 4 cyl.
The view into the left rear wheel well is fuzzy , is that an oil hose in there ?
What else ?
Front marker lamps filled with metal discs.....not welded....just strange
Cornerlot
A garage fire in Michigan. Consumed this real quick 914-6, a 911, and a 356 too. Tragic.

Steve
porschetub
what would you get off it ?.....trans,engine short block ( maybe),exhaust heatexchangers ,wheels (?) brake calipers (?),remember local car (911) caught fire when the owner was driving ,engine(short block) and box were ok ,maybe this has been subjected to more heat than a straight out engine fire...such a shame sad.gif .
Bob L.
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 15 2016, 04:04 PM) *

The VIN listed in their ad isn't a 914 VIN...

It starts with a 9? I suspect the 3rd digit was a 4 that looked like a 1 after the fire.
Mikey914
My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
lalee914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 15 2016, 11:23 PM) *

what would you get off it ?.....trans,engine short block ( maybe),exhaust heatexchangers ,wheels (?) brake calipers (?),remember local car (911) caught fire when the owner was driving ,engine(short block) and box were ok ,maybe this has been subjected to more heat than a straight out engine fire...such a shame sad.gif .

Looks like one of the headlight covers might be usable....
mountainroads
QUOTE(lalee914 @ Dec 16 2016, 07:15 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 15 2016, 11:23 PM) *

Looks like one of the headlight covers might be usable....

Isn't somebody on another thread looking for engine mounts? (Yes, I know the rubber piece will likely need to be sourced, but at least the metal bits are there.)

- MR
larryM
QUOTE(lalee914 @ Dec 15 2016, 01:37 PM) *

This one is so bad you couldn't even jack up the VIN plates and put a new car under them. You would have to forge some VIN plates first.

easy enuf - you can buy 'em from Stoddard & from europe beer.gif

note - it has a Momo 6-bolt pattern steering hub (911 style - same as on my euro sixer)

another barn find, buy it now

note that it is "on approval" meaning the seller has the MI title & KNOWS what you plan to do with the VIN & expects big money
pete000
I remember reading that was a real six fully restored and a few weeks or months it was burnt in a storage garage fire that took several very nice early 911s as well.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(larryM @ Dec 17 2016, 04:21 PM) *

note that it is "on approval" meaning the seller has the MI title & KNOWS what you plan to do with the VIN & expects big money

dry.gif

The VIN should be weeded out and listed as a fire lost on this site, actions like this "encourage" people to be honest.
larryM
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 17 2016, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(larryM @ Dec 17 2016, 04:21 PM) *

note that it is "on approval"; the seller has the MI title & KNOWS what you plan to do with the VIN & expects big money

dry.gif

The VIN should be weeded out and listed as a fire lost on this site, actions like this "encourage" people to be honest.

often COPART lists insurance salvage burn cars as Non-repairable - no title, etc - most selling insurance companies will require that; but all copart sellers are not insure co's

that is not the case here -

about a year ago a 914 was on a Calif copart "on approval " for many auction cycles - bids were not high enuf for the seller even tho it was a piece of junk

Unobtanium-inc
Insurance companies are smarter than many people think. They know with a car like this that someone will buy it. Chances are they had a pretty large payout so it might take awhile to get solid money for the car, but they will wait, because they know that someone will pay for the VIN of a 914/6. They will probably issue a parts only salvage title to cover their arse but there are ways around that. Most states have two kinds of salvage titles, salvage rebuildable and parts only. A parts only salvage title is a dead end in the state it is issued in, there is no going back, no passing go. But there are a few states like Kentucky who only have one kind of salvage title, salvage, which can be re-built. So someone will buy this car with a CA parts only title, "wash" it in KY, and they now have a title you can build on. The other option for this is you can export on a parts only title, it's still a title after all. Many parts of the globe don't recognize what a salvage title is, Russia is one haven for this. In the early 90s the Russians starting coming to the auctions in Atlanta and outbid everyone, I got to be friends with one guy and asked him "what's up?". Apparently if they bought a car with a salvage title they could import it into Russia as parts, thereby not paying heavy import tax, but once in country they would just fix it and sell it, because Russia didn't recognize salvage titles. It was brilliant!
So with several avenues for a car like this the insurance company will ride it out, knowing someone will come along. There was a Ferrari like this at the auction we used to go to in Atlanta, been there for years, one day it was gone. That guy came along.
EdwardBlume
Ouch.
SKL1
"is it a 6?" Does it matter????
oldie914
Last year, my neighbor bought a Chrysler van in Hamburg; US model advertised as accident free. When he got it home he realized it was not right. His English is not the best so I ran a US vehicle check for him and we found the van had been totaled and then sold in Atlanta for export to Lithuania. Repaired in Lithuania, it was sent to be sold in Germany where Chrysler vans are popular. The title did not note previous accidents.
Since he bought it from a dealer, he was able to return the van and get his money back.
jfort
I bought a 2005 base Cayenne from Copart. It had been rear ended but not bad. Normal, not salvage, title. Put on a rear hatch and bumper off a 2005 S that had been front ended, repainted hatch and bumper to match. Great vehicle. So far so good. Had two S V8's, with salvage titles. Both had scored cylinders.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Dec 23 2016, 12:52 AM) *

"is it a 6?" Does it matter????

Duh....really ?
PancakePorsche
I cringe thinking this now 3 cent a pound crispy critter turns up in the future in some VIN swapped bastard. Need to say goodbye and give it's coup de grace in a crusher.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 22 2016, 11:16 PM) *

Insurance companies are smarter than many people think. They know with a car like this that someone will buy it.......

This really sucks, basically insurance companies are aiding and abetting a criminal act.
I really hate government over regulation, but to me this is something that regulation is supposed to curtail.
forrestkhaag
The add lists it as a 911 with a value of 85K. I am pretty sure it is neither of those two things............ WTF.gif welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.