Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: more WCC mayhem - a story about CptTripps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
If anyone ever tells you that CptTripps is not serious about 914's, point them here.

This is the story of a guy who wanted a 914 for the track day so bad that he BOUGHT one the night before, found a serious problem requiring WELDING before the car could be safely tracked, and proceeded to FIX IT IN THE PARKING LOT OF THE HOTEL like it was no big deal.

First let me introduce the Adobe Car, a 73 1.7 being sold by a club member suspiciously named 'bondo'.

mightyohm
Here is the crowd gathering around during the sale of the car pointing out all its flaws. Talk about a tough crowd.
mightyohm
Uh oh, look what SirAndy found...
a cracked rear suspension ear.

mightyohm
So what does CptTripps do... He goes to Home Depot and "Rents" a welder for the night. Keep in mind this is around 9PM on a Sunday, in Lancaster. Here they are after they get back. Note welder is plugged into hotel room electrical outlet.

mightyohm
Still setting up.
mightyohm
A crowd gathers around the work site.
mightyohm
CptTripps begins welding.
Thorshammer
I love it, sounds like something I would do. Mcgyver, you go bitch. Who's your daddy. I'm laughing so f---ing hard I almost wet myself.

Erik
mightyohm
The peanut gallery points and laughs.
mightyohm
Sparks fly!
mightyohm
Scott lends a hand.
mightyohm
Scott gets a tan.
mightyohm
That's all I've got. Does anyone have any pictures of the finished weld?

The short story is that the repairs were successful, hotel management did not kick us out, and the car worked great on the track on Monday as far as I know.

If Scott gets the golden wheelbarrow award, CptTripps needs the silver peanut, for being the most certifiably NUTS out of all of us!

Way to go Doug, thanks for providing entertainment for the rest of us. I hope the car works out for you!

beerchug.gif
skline
They dont rent welders at Home Depot, he bought the welder and returned it the next day. It must have been defective wink.gif A man with a passion that is undying. He is truly dedicated to the 914. He got a good deal and it will make a good driver/track car for him while he restores his real true love car.
skline
Good capture of the full moon too Jeff. I didnt know if anyone even noticed it that night. It explains all the craziness that was going on.
Allan
Jeez, you're freaking nuts. Just let me know what you need. I will do what I can!!!!
Dr Evil
Shhhhhhhhhhh, he won it in the "auction", remember? wink.gif
markb
So why did I see bondo driving it out on monday?
Howard
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Apr 26 2005, 09:33 PM)
Shhhhhhhhhhh, he won it in the "auction", remember? wink.gif

This story is bound to become an urban legend. The car will end up converted to a six and sell at Barret-Jackson for $1.5 million in 2031. biggrin.gif
McMark
It's awaiting shipment to OHIO. wink.gif
Rand
Yes! Way to go 'Tripps! laugh.gif
rick 918-S
WTG Doug! wavey.gif Great to meet you! Now get in that track car and drive it home! aktion035.gif driving.gif You can do it! clap.gif
fiid
WOW.. Cool story. Mr Tripps certainly has brass balls. Have to respect that.
Brando
Awesome work Doug! Thanks again for the hotel room, truly a 914club guy on all accounts. I was suprised however when we were welding that nobody came out to complain that half of the lighting in the complex dimmed during our escapade... lol2.gif
CptTripps
Thanks guys...I was just reading other people's threads, and was like...hey...that's me! Here's my side.

I didn't get it JUST for the track, I was looking for something to take back to Ohio. Import some West-coast cars to my side of the states. After I saw the suspension crack, the price came down a bit, so a deal was struck. I heard someone say 'that guy was coming home with a car no matter what'. Not true, I was all ready to go home without one, but got a good deal. WCS, I'd make it a track car. Thought I'd see how it would do ON the track the next day!

I was GOING to use the 'I won it in a raffle' story for the benefit of my wife. That's why you see 'Win Me' on the back of the car. I had Bondo make up a sign that had "$20 Raffle Tickets" on the front so I could take pictures to show my wife how I 'Won' the car...but I ended up using a local guy as the scape-goat. Vance may end up buying it from me as a driver, so he got the blame before I had to lie to her. biggrin.gif

Bondo drove it home because I'm still trying to find a shipping company to take her to Ohio. Royce was great about it. Thanks buddy!

When I went into Home Depot to return the welder, here was the conversation...

Me: I've got some stuff to return here... (plunking down the 60lb box)

HD Lady: Anything wrong, or just bought the wrong stuff?

Me: Nope...Worked Great!

HD Lady: Ok...that'll be $436.20 back on your American Express.

Me: Have a great day! :Wink:

HD Lady: You too. :Blush:

I was SERIOUSLY in there less than 30sec. I just laughed the whole way back to the car.

Howard and I were laughing after we pushed his car back into his spot. I agree...by WCC 2036, it'll be that in 3-hrs, we dropped in a 6-cyl, and added Metal-Flares, Turbo Tie-Rods, and a fresh paint-job!

Thanks for the memories guys...This is a great event. I don't know about the Silver Peanut...well...maybe you are right.

See ya all next year!
tdgray
WTG Doug.... I knew you'd find a car. smilie_pokal.gif

I have to say Doug is the most committed person I have met in this next of the woods ( Probably should be committed but we'll leave that up to the Doc in the family). biggrin.gif

CRAP Doug, now we really have to get that scrap car out of your driveway.... your wifes going to kill both of us. ar15.gif

Call me.... lets see if we can set something up for Saturday.

URY914
Great story. laugh.gif

A man with tools and will to drive fast. smilie_pokal.gif

Paul
Bleyseng
Good story! You weld like I do, no gloves!

biggrin.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Apr 27 2005, 08:30 AM)
Good story! You weld like I do, no gloves!

I was laughing about that when I was under the car...

I'm under a car at 10:00pm in a hotel parking lot wearing a $90 pair of jeans, a Bananna Republic sweater, welding 8" from the fuel line of a 32yr old car. Someone said "Would you feel more comfortable if there was a fire extinguisher handy?" I replied..."Naaa!" Then thought about it for 30sec..."Actually, that'd probably be a good idea."

I have no pics of the finished weld, but rest assured, it's ugly. biggrin.gif
Gint
That's a riot. Sounds like something I'd do. nice goin Doug. Of course you would have earned extra braggin rights if you'd driven it home. biggrin.gif

user posted image
TJB/914
Hey Doug (cptTripps)

What a story. Hopefully you will grace us with your visit to the MidWestMeet in Aug.
Sure would like to know what you do for a normal living??? Someone said your a Doctor and do brain surgery?? If true "your the man".

Had to laugh about telling the wife how you bought the car. Sometimes my best sales job in real life. There a tough sell.

Tom
BTW
Really enjoyed all the pictures of WCC and stories. Keep the stuff coming.
sean_v8_914
perhaps Doug can borrow Scotts wheel barrow to carry his huge balls

Note that king big balls Scott is right in there. that guy had a wrench in hand and a grin all weekend long
CptTripps
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 27 2005, 10:27 AM)
Sure would like to know what you do for a normal living??? Someone said your a Doctor and do brain surgery?? If true "your the man".

Thomas: I heard that too! Funny shit. My WIFE is a Peditricain, and I get grossed out by blood. (I couldn't even look at some of the text-books she had in medical school.) I'm the CTO (chief technology officer) for a venture capital firm in Cleveland. We own a nuclear medicine company, but that's as close to practicing medicine as I get.

Gint: I thought about it, but a first-class plane ticket sounded like a MUCH nicer ride home.

All: I'll be at the mid-west show with bells on!
markb
Great story! I'm glad everybody came out of it getting what they wanted.

BTW, if someone needed to buy a welder, that would have been the one to get. Tested in extreme circumstances & came thru fine. biggrin.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (markb @ Apr 27 2005, 07:55 AM)
BTW, if someone needed to buy a welder, that would have been the one to get. Tested in extreme circumstances & came thru fine.  :D

on sale today, half-price, used ... lol2.gif

J
merrill
Man, talk about inspiration ohmy.gif You guys are just downright killer.
i love porsche
welder.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif that is the best story ever!!!!! thats so awesome!!!
Jenny
Maybe we should pitch in and get Doug's 914 some of these... lol2.gif

Jen
Aaron Cox
unsure.gif lol2.gif
bondo
Hehe, I couldn't stop chuckling as I watched them welding it. smile.gif

Not only did I get to sell it, but Doug and I were in different run groups, so I got to run it on the track as well! Thanks Doug!

And thanks to SirAndy for finding the crack! I would have hated for Doug to have found the crack at 80 mph in turn 1 and end up joining the motorcycles on the other track!

And thanks to Drew for organizing a terrific track day!
CptTripps
I think next year, we need to revise the prizes a little...

Distance Traveled: Get a set of those Truck-Balls bronzed. Make the winner put them on their 914.

Best WCC Repair: Get a set of jack-stands bronzed. (Given away on the last day.)

Best WCC 'Hack': Get a roll of duct-tape or a crutch bronzed. (Given to Demick and Brad for their "you brake, I'll throttle' trick.")

Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Jenny @ Apr 27 2005, 10:00 AM)
Maybe we should pitch in and get Doug's 914 some of these... lol2.gif

...And then have McMark use that "chrome paint" stuff on it! Think that'd work for the "silver peanut" award?? lol2.gif
Demick
Ya know, if I had known about that hack weld job, I would have thought twice about getting in that car with Bondo to instruct him........ wacko.gif

Demick
Howard
QUOTE (Demick @ Apr 27 2005, 07:12 PM)
Ya know, if I had known about that <strike> hack</strike> weld job, I would have thought twice about getting in that car with Bondo to instruct him........ wacko.gif

Demick

Nope! Ya woulda gone anyway rolleyes.gif
CptTripps
It was good...I made sure the car was re-teched before I hit the track with it. The last thing I wanted was to be 'that guy' that lost a wheel at WCC-05. Makes a MUCH better story this way. biggrin.gif

driving.gif
jim912928
Doug, I'm also a CTO for a consumer goods manufacturer in SW michigan. Look forward to seeing you at the MWC and the FFC!

xsboost90
ill be at the MWC but what is the FFC????
CptTripps
Fall Folliage (sp) Classic.

Info on it is nailed...
michel richard
I'm taking a serious look at coming at the FFC, "only" a 900 mile drive from Montreal.
I changed a CV joint in the parking lot at the ECR last year. Not quite as cool as pulling out a welder, but I feel like I might fit in!

Cheers

Michel Richard
914/6 2.2E MFI
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.