Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: time for a bath
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
car is coming home soon after spending 2+ years in my mechanics side lot. what do you guys recommend i use to clean it? is there a special something to put the BLACK back into the top? Any type of wax that might help the paint shine again? thanks in advance.
TROJANMAN
no one has any suggestions for cleaning products? unsure.gif
Mueller
sorry....wrong forum...try the 911 guys smile.gif

Meguirs (sp??) has a great cleaning/polish/waxing system, this is what I use........
BMartin914
Meguirs (sp??) has a great cleaning/polish/waxing system, this is what I use........

agree.gif That's what I use. My top is painted, so I don't know too much about re-newing it, but there is some stuff called black something (sorry I can't remember) that people have used in the past to renew their tops. I know there is a thread on here somewhere.
Rusty
Stay away from dish soap. It's designed to dissolve grease/wax.

Any wax with caranuba should do fine. I like paste wax, but there's significant effort involved in the application.

If your paint is less than six months old, then I would recommend waiting until you wax the car.
brant
not to contradict Rusty...

but I would use a stong cleaner first... Like the dish soap which is normally bad, but would do the job of stripping all the wax and 2 years of toxic waste...

then I would follow it up with a wax job.

most import use a ton of water.
don't let it get dry

then regarding the top
get some of the product called: forever black
its a die actually, but does a nice job on tops and bumpers to restore shine.

congrats on getting it back!

drive it.
drive it.
drive it.
drive it.
drive it.

brant
Rusty
QUOTE (brant @ Apr 27 2005, 02:23 PM)
not to contradict Rusty...

but I would use a stong cleaner first... Like the dish soap which is normally bad, but would do the job of stripping all the wax and 2 years of toxic waste...

You didn't contradict me. smile.gif

But if someone wants to strip the old wax from the car, get some good degreaser from the auto-body supply store. It's hella good. Dishsoap will only do a half-assed job cleaning, just enough harm to screw up a good base wax job.

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.