Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How waterproof can a 914 really be made?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
wayner
How waterproof can a 914 really be made?

Can roof and window leaks be totally eliminated??

Thanks
SirAndy
Well, considering that the factory added drain holes to some parts of the car i'd say your chances are somewhat slim ...
shades.gif
PanelBilly
When I used my car as a DD, I kept a towel in it so my leg wouldn't get wet
altitude411
QUOTE(wayner @ Dec 16 2016, 01:02 PM) *

Thanks

Like tight enough to go through the drive thru car wash?

YES!

If you don't mind getting totally soaked... dry.gif
Mikey914
It's not a question of if water can be kept out, it's more of a matter of what % of water can be kept out.
wayner
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 16 2016, 02:32 PM) *

It's not a question of if water can be kept out, it's more of a matter of what % of water can be kept out.

I guess coming from what I've been told is the best supplier of replacement rubber, then I should expect winter driving to be a little damp ? driving.gif

johnhora
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 16 2016, 12:32 PM) *

Exactly! agree.gif
6freak
Flex Seal! itll float a boat with a screen door for a bottom smile.gif
BeatNavy
A member here told me at last Hershey that Teeners have always leaked. Even when they were brand new. He's had his teener since his dad bought it new in the 70's and it leaked then.

Made me feel a little better about having to keep those little hand towels in the car.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(wayner @ Dec 16 2016, 12:35 PM) *

I guess coming from what I've been told is the best supplier of replacement rubber, then I should expect winter driving to be a little damp ? driving.gif

Interesting, is that a big bumper GT rally car? Front pic?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Dec 16 2016, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(wayner @ Dec 16 2016, 12:35 PM) *

Interesting, is that a big bumper GT rally car? Front pic?

Damn sure wayner used that pic to be funny and it's not his car.
First clue is that's not a Canadian licence plate. shades.gif
IronHillRestorations
The only 914 that I had that didn't leak was 9140431205 that had the original 1st generation window seals. I never took it through a car wash though.

My first 6 conversion had all new factory seals and I couldn't ever get it to completely seal up, which is why I came up with the first 914 Umbrella cover in 1994

Prior to making the cover, my rock n roll solution was to rip black duct tape lengthwise into long strips and tape it along the window edge. The car was always garaged, and occasional use, so I would only do that when I was away from home and it was going to rain. Didn't work so well when everything was wet though biggrin.gif
GeorgeRud
I've used umbrella covers on both my 914s and 911 Targa, and find them to be great if the car has to be kept outside. Careful adjustments to the door windows do minimize the leaks, but a towel is always nice to have.

And yes, don't take one through a commercial car wash!
flmont
Well,. they are drier than a MGB,..thats for sure..!! FM
wayner
Unfortunately ,no, that orange car is not mine. It's a rally car back in the day. (Thanks Mark Henry smile.gif

Here is my car.
(Apparently it leaked a bit)

I'll be updating the thread in the new year

QUESTION:
In order of percentage of success, versus worst offenders, which area can be made more watertight than others and which are the worst that can never be solved?
(Which parts of the window seals, roof etc?)

Now THIS is a hell hole!

IPB Image
My 914
Along the same lines, how big or small of a problem is water getting into the engine bay through the grill on a rainy day or during washing? I know there are many engine configurations in 914's these days and I'm sure that some are more sensitive to water than others.
euro911
One way to keep the intrusion of water to a minimum would be to ditch the targa top and weld a steel roof on. You would still need to get creative with the rubber seals around the door windows though.

Maybe Mark can design some wind/rain deflectors for 914s ... like vent shade makes confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

idea.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 16 2016, 09:42 PM) *

One way to keep the intrusion of water to a minimum would be to ditch the targa top and weld a steel roof on. You would still need to get creative with the rubber seals around the door windows though.

Maybe Mark can design some wind/rain deflectors for 914s ... like vent shade makes confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

idea.gif

A fixed roof is the answer..... with rain gutters.
Vent shades ? not for me, same category as door edge guards and those fugly
ding guards.
pbanders
With a big enough tube of silicone caulking, I can make any 914 waterproof. Some may require 2 tubes.
whitetwinturbo
............er, move to So Kalefornacation since it never rains here....except today beer3.gif
euro911
Yep ... and the high winds have a nasty habit of forcing the rain water into the car ... ask me how I know dry.gif
IronHillRestorations
Hydro-lock is a real possibility in a 914-6
euro911
I wonder why nobody ever came out with an after-market rear-facing rear deck lid scoop for 914s like they made for 911s and 912s.

They were pretty rare, mostly saw them on 912s ... I believe I still have one packed away somewhere.
wayner
As this thing gets rebuilt over the winter I'm willing to be the Guinean pig for a few hairbrained watertight ideas if anyone has them.

(I'm going after functionality not originality set let the ideas fly and I'll report back here. - drip rails may be on the list)
GeorgeRud
Though anything is possible, I don't think the 914-6 is particularly subject to hydro lock as the factory air cleaner does a good job of diverting water to the outer parts of the sealed engine and the snorkel points slightly down to drain any water (as well as a drain in the bottom of the main filter housing). Folks with earlier K&N filter housings (before the Watershed design came out) may have had issues, but these are really pretty well sealed in the engine compartment.

Passengers, not as much!
euro911
QUOTE(wayner @ Dec 17 2016, 08:48 AM) *
As this thing gets rebuilt over the winter I'm willing to be the Guinean pig for a few hairbrained watertight ideas if anyone has them.

(I'm going after functionality not originality set let the ideas fly and I'll report back here. - drip rails may be on the list)
IIRC, the roof section from a 924/944 can be used to fab a permanent steel hardtop - if you're game confused24.gif
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(wayner @ Dec 16 2016, 03:02 PM) *

Thanks

My first 914 was a '74 1.8 liter, white with black interior. We were the 2nd owner after the first sold it after 10 months. Had it for 6 years. Loved that car. It NEVER got wet inside. Oh ............ now I remember it was always garaged. My bad.
Mikey914
These get driven in the rain?
RickS
Have a good friend who has owned his own Porsche shop for 25 years. He has an original 6 he drove off the lot and his own 914 authentic GT undergoing a full restoration. He just sold another real 6 that took four years for a complete nut and bolt restoration using genuine Porsche parts which he had squirreled away over the years. All the seals were new and with the top up, it made as much wind noise inside as my '71. Not air tight and this guy is a anal fanatic when it comes to perfect fit and finish. Epilogue: He sold the restored 6 to an investment group for 6 figures and change, and the 6 is now sadly locked away in a warehouse awaiting another rise in values. He continues to work on his GT as time allows.
wayner
So, if it had a steel roof ( no targa) would there still be leaks? Is the design of the window seals that bad and if so which area leaks?

(Or is it just the roof?)

BTW, just so there is no confusion, unlike the historic orange car earlier in this thread, mine was just a run of the mill 1975 2.0, so don't worry, I'm not molesting anything special

IPB Image
porschetub
Interesting question,one I never asked because I never read any reference to it being a real problem.
However having owned a sunroof 944 and several earlier BMW's with sunroof's I'am not expecting to be surprised,my car leaked several times under a car cover during heavy winter storms,I traced it to the top horizontal window seals and bad alignment of the window glass.
My doors had been dissembled when the car was restored,I found both window frames out of alignment to the seals,I have since adjusted them and installed 914rubber top seals which IMO are a better design and seal for the glass.
Funny how things haven't really progressed as much in automotive design as we would like ,I recently had to remove all the sunvisor trim in my girlfriends 2007 VW Eos and clear blocked sunroof drains which really aren't a great design.
sixnotfour
I'm not molesting anything special

current terminology," I'm building an Outlaw "
wayner
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 18 2016, 12:24 PM) *

I'm not molesting anything special

current terminology," I'm building an Outlaw "

Who do I look like, Rod Emery or something ? smile.gif
Mikey914
The targa top is the main reason the leak issues exist. You have an extra section that is removable, that will flex with the car. You can't make the 100% waterproof. I have owned several 944s, even make the sunroof seal for the late 944s. They like the 928 and any other steel roof cars are about 100%.
You can get them to the point that they can be left outside and not have to worry about having a swimming pool when you come back. Honestly, the prospect of putting a steel roof on to "solve" the "problem" I don't get. The problem is not that bad. If you like a steel roof, yes it can be made more secure, but it's not a 914 at some point. I live in Oregon and most of my 914's are kept outside. If I leave it for awhile I do use a cover.
euro911
Of course, taking the removable targa top out of the picture does change the character of the original 914 design.

I've resorted to using Perry's 'umbrella covers' for so long, to the point where I now need to replace the bungee cord material on one of them. It's not that it rains a lot here in So Cal, but being near the ocean, living with the marine layer (salty air and fog), I just keep the cover on most of the time.

I seldom drive mine in the rain, however, I can recount a few times when I was on the road and got slammed by some nasty summertime rainstorms ... and the car leaked like a sieve - mainly above the side windows, as my 'summer' top does not sport nice new rubber seals.

My black car (the 'BB') was pretty bastardized when I first acquired it. I've remedied most of the issues and it's fairly nice now (mechanically). However, since it's not stock and wouldn't be worth my while to convert a 75 back to stock, I wouldn't have any bad feelings about converting it to a hardtop with rain gutters biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
Stock 914-6's have been known to hydrolock. All it takes is the intake not getting put on properly, or the rubber seal losing elasticity. This is one reason why Richard Parr makes the Watershield rain hats for 3bbl Webers.

There was a story in an old Pano about a guy parking at an airport lot for a week and then coming back and the car wouldn't crank, so he got a push down a hill and popped the clutch, which in turn popped his engine! One cylinder got filled with rain water, and when he tried to crank it, it spun over enough to close the intake valve. Water doesn't compress very well. The moral of the story is if you suspect you might have gotten water down the intake first try taking out the spark plugs (water isn't chopsticks) Then buy my Umbrella Cover biggrin.gif

If you have a 6 or have removed your rain tray, you are going to get water in the engine compartment. How much or how consequential is anyone's guess.
wayner
For anyone that lives in California I don't think you get why I'm trying to solve this

We get about 8 weeks of summer and it's likely to rain four of those
euro911
I guess hydrolock could happen with any motor sporting carburetors, but every one I've seen it happen on had the rain tray removed. I retain the OEM rain trays, and have the optional rain trays in 912s too cool_shades.gif
mbseto
My Toyota Supra targa never leaked a drop. Not sure what their secret was, it came only 15 years after my '71 914. Maybe just better fit. That car was flexy like a noodle without the top, but pretty rock solid with the top on.
mepstein
911 targa's leak worse ... and are way more expensive to try to fix.
forrestkhaag
A friend of mine that shared our 914 obsession spun out on Lakeshore Drive in Baton Rouge in the late 70" and came to rest side-up in the University Lake. It proved not to be waterproof as it took about 8 minutes to sink to the muddy bottom of the lake (in four feet of water......) When dredged out, the value remaining was minimal but it has several crawfish in the interior........... sheeplove.gif
wayner
It seems to me that this location where the roof, windshield and window comes together is the main area of in concern, Is that an accurate assessment?
bradtho
That's certainly where mine leaks. Have you played with the wing window adjustment to see which position works best? I've thought about it, but never gotten around to it, and not sure which way to go for best results.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(wayner @ Dec 20 2016, 06:41 AM) *

It seems to me that this location where the roof, windshield and window comes together is the main area of in concern, Is that an accurate assessment?

It should fit like this.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
I want to be able to go through a drive thru car wash with NO targa top! Sorta like the Ariel Atom.

wayner
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Dec 20 2016, 11:50 AM) *

It should fit like this.

Click to view attachment

My car is literally cut in half right now so it doesn't look like that but once I start putting it back together including new seals, can I expect it to leak a bit and if so is that the offending area, or is your car dry??
VaccaRabite
Thats the area where mine leaks too.
Its a total bitch to get it adjusted properly.

Zach
Rand

Looks like the seal isn't even there in that pic? Guaranteed to leak! lol, I'm guessing you are just showing the location, not how it should fit.
wayner
The floor isn't there either right now so I suppose that it wouldn't matter if it leaked smile.gif

Fixing it as fast as I can smash.gif

Seriously though, unlike the 911 crowd that critiqued my last project, I figured this group would be all over engineering improvements
Catorse
My 914 is absolutely leak free.

It is however, hard to drive around with the tarp on :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.