Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Instrument issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschefile2010
So thanks for the help getting the engine running sweetly again. The little car is running better than ever.
I now want to get the instruments going. The voltmeter in the console works and I think the oil pressure light works in the main dash cluster. Not much else is happening though.
I have tracked the oil temp. centre console gauge to the sender under the sump so not worried about that.
The one that's got me beat is the temp gauge sitting above the fuel gauge. Can someone confirm for me that this receives a signal from a sender on the driver's side head next to the #2 plug. My Haynes manual is pretty vague.
Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
A temp gauge in the fuel cluster gauge is not stock in a 75 914. Fuel, alt, oil, and brake/warning light. So, we would just be guessing. A pic would always help cool.gif
TheCabinetmaker
A temp gauge in the fuel cluster gauge is not stock in a 75 914. Fuel, alt, oil, and brake/warning light. So, we would just be guessing. A pic would always help cool.gif
porschefile2010
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 17 2016, 01:20 PM) *

You raise an interesting point. Here is a picture of the dial. I will be interested to know if this is not stock. ThanksClick to view attachment
porschefile2010
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Dec 17 2016, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 17 2016, 01:20 PM) *

You raise an interesting point. Here is a picture of the dial. I will be interested to know if this is not stock. ThanksClick to view attachment

Just need to keep this going. Does anyone else have a dial like this and if so, where does the signal for the temp come from. Maybe this was some sort of factory option?
porschetub
This gauge is for the later cars I thought?,not sure if it was an option or standard,maybe someone just added it
Pull the gauge and you should have a green/black wire going to gauge insert terminal marked as "G'' ,red/white wire to ''+'' and and earth (brown) wire to "-''.
If this wiring isn't present you can add this wire back to a sender on the motor,I don't know where but I expect you could buy a VDO tee fitting and fit that where the low pressure oil light screws into the block near the distributor.
You will need a sender rated to 150C to run the gauge, the 1/8'' one would suit your needs.
The other wires can be jumpered off the existing gauge loom for your gauge power (red/white) and ground/earth that's easy.
Remove your storage tray/armrest and look for a 3-way jointer plug,you can check connects from that point to your centre console,Jeff Bowlsby has all the info on his tech notes page via his website.
It gets pretty hot where you live and I seem to remember you cooked your last motor,I can see a temp gauge would be a good thing for your car.
Good luck beer.gif
porschefile2010
It gets pretty hot where you live and I seem to remember you cooked your last motor,I can see a temp gauge would be a good thing for your car.
Good luck beer.gif
[/quote]
Yes, I have had overheating problems. Dropped a valves seat so I am anxious to get a handle on the engine temp at least. Thanks for your input.
TheCabinetmaker
After some research, I found P914's website and according to him and a few other sources, it seems that gauge (which I have one of) came on the 74-76 model 2.0Ls that did not have the appearance group center console gauges. The temp would be be transmitted from the standard oil temp sender from the taco plate.

Btw, that's oil temp, not head temps. It will be of no help in determining if your heads are overheating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.