Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jackplate area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
urbanskater
The red plague got to the jack plate area. It completly rusted through the plate, through a metal sheet support, and finally the metal that holds the rectangle jack peg. My question is, how, how ever do i fix this, or would it be easier to go with out the jack plate/peg? sad.gif
Lawrence
I will probably cut mine off, eventually. I like the look of a smooth rocker panel, without that stupid little jack post cover.

Just my opinion.
ChrisFoley
First you have to clean off the old jackplate from the inner rocker panel. Then you should refabricate the section of panel that had the square hole, at a minimum, before welding on a new tube and pyramid. Unless you are going without the jackplate entirely, in which case you can weld a smooth piece of sheetmetal onto the rocker.
The Brad Mayeur chassis kit reinforces this area without you having to repair all the little pieces. Just cut off all the excess metal and weld on the frame reinforcements (this is not an endorsement, and the job is much more difficult than it sounds). I am in the middle of doing this on a car right now.
The biggest trouble so far is getting the 3 suspension bolts out on both sides, since the kit extends back to this area. The car arrived with one bolt already broken, and I broke another one. One bolt is still in the car soaking overnight in PB Blaster. It already spent 2 nights soaking in an inferior brand penetrant and won't budge. At least I haven't twisted the head off yet. unsure.gif
ChrisFoley
Oh yeah, I personally don't care to jack my 914s from the jackpost, so I don't replace them on my cars. OTOH I am sure many owners would use them for emergency tire changes since the factory jack has a convenient place in the trunk.
urbanskater
So if i used 20 gauge steel to weld in a square section on the inner rocker pannel, then manage to weld the post in and then the jack plate cover, will it hold if i were to use it? Also i notice one HUGE problem, how on earth do i get into the upper regions of the inner rocker panel and jack plate? The fender seems to get in the way.
SirAndy
QUOTE(urbanskater @ Jun 27 2003, 11:59 AM)
Also i notice one HUGE problem, how on earth do i get into the upper regions of the inner rocker panel and jack plate? The fender seems to get in the way.

if i recall right you have to cut into the fender to do this right.
there was a thread about this some month ago (january?),
you might wanna search through the old threads on this board.

Andy
ChrisFoley
I typically do the repair without cutting away the fender, but it is very difficult. The hardest part is cleaning away the old rust & crap so the new pieces fit well. Sometimes the area at the back of the door sill needs repair as well, so this gives some access to the jackpost top.

18 ga is a better choice as it is closer to the factory metal thickness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.