Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well, 914 is under the cover for winter...Mustang 727HP upgrade underway
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
Have a full paid off Mustang 2015 GT. Just ordered the 10K installed supercharger that is 727HP Roush Stage 2. That should keep me distracted over the winter while I pay that off and save for the pan replacement on the 914 and rust repair. This Stang is going to be wicked fast. I love the 914 for the looks, the Stang does not get that but after driving the 914....I like a little bit of power. Buddy just got a used Hellcat when he knew I was going to SC the Stang. 10K for the Stage 2 Roush SC installed and tuned, under factory warranty. 25% of what I paid for the Mustang, but damn....figured 10K on that or save over the winter for 914 body work. The old muscle called to me.

I still have some 914 door sills on the way, and need some wiring short stuff figured out on it, after the Stang upgrade it will be in the garage also for the snow. Now, the beater 2004 Ford Jaguar X Type AWD with snow tires is my main car till March.

Thanks to 914 Rubber for getting all my seals on the car ready for the snow. I will be taking it out in the periods between the snow and clear roads.
carcus
Hey, I could have got some Subaru conversion, V8 conversion for the 914...but with the modern suspension of the new Stang with over 700HP and factory warranty...I think you guys can understand. Like in the signature, I am a lover of all cars. 10K on the Porsche 914 might get me some body work, a rebuilt engine and cheap paint job. 10K on the Stang gives me much for bang for the buck.
mgp4591
QUOTE(carcus @ Dec 17 2016, 12:50 AM) *

Hey, I could have got some Subaru conversion, V8 conversion for the 914...but with the modern suspension of the new Stang with over 700HP and factory warranty...I think you guys can understand. Like in the signature, I am a lover of all cars. 10K on the Porsche 914 might get me some body work, a rebuilt engine and cheap paint job. 10K on the Stang gives me much for bang for the buck.

Your 'Stang will still be covered by the factory warranty with the added supercharger - is it a factory authorized and warranted piece? That's pretty cool! I know it's been said that an LS swap is about 10k but that's starting off with a clean car - if you've got other repairs obviously it's going to cost more. Maybe next winter you'll change your mind... nothing like 400 hp in a 2300lb platform that's well sorted out!
TheCabinetmaker
We had a mustang moron down the block from me. He thought it was real cool to use our street as a drag strip. I videoed him, then showed the vid to the police. They went to arrest him but he bolted out a window in the back of the house. He eventually hit three cars then drove away. He'll be back in about 6 years. He's where he belongs!
iwanta914-6
Can you say 10K a few more times just in case someone didn't catch how much you spent? ;P
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Dec 17 2016, 10:11 AM) *

Can you say 10K a few more times just in case someone didn't catch how much you spent? ;P

lol-2.gif
infraredcalvin
Been looking at a gt350 but just can't justify paying 10k over sticker... lol-2.gif

Seriously though, my heighbor just put that kit on his 16, it's a sleeper look (for a GT) but sounds so much different. Install looks factory clean, they did a nice job, he also did a mod to his clutch pedal to complement (he removed a spring?), says it gives a bit more aggressive and more active feel without getting too stiff.

He's been begging me to drive, I've been staying away cause I don't want the bug... I'm happy with my jeep srt... until they hellcat next years model.
Tom_T
Well that Rousch kit will make you eligible for their big Rousch get together next June, with their lapping of the Indy 500, etc.! piratenanner.gif

The big BBQ for them is hosted at Skillman Ford in Greenwood (SE of Indy proper), which also has an open house of Skillman's 200,000 sf classic car collection & shop. My nephew puts that BBQ together, as well as he being the top Rousch seller worldwide.

Shoot me an email & I'll send you my nephew Joh's number to get on their invite list.

Good Luck with the $10K upgrade!

beerchug.gif santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
kaiserms
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 17 2016, 04:55 PM) *

Well that Rousch kit will make you eligible for their big Rousch get together next June, with their lapping of the Indy 500, etc.! piratenanner.gif

The big BBQ for them is hosted at Skillman Ford in Greenwood (SE of Indy proper), which also has an open house of Skillman's 200,000 sf classic car collection & shop. My nephew puts that BBQ together, as well as he being the top Rousch seller worldwide.

Shoot me an email & I'll send you my nephew Joh's number to get on their invite list.

Good Luck with the $10K upgrade!

beerchug.gif santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////

Message to Tom: we used to live in Orange till 1993. I managed the small grocery store at the south end of The Circle. Ran all of POC's TT 1985-90.
Moved to Michigan. 20 degrees right now.
Kaiser
Localboy808
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 17 2016, 08:38 AM) *

We had a mustang moron down the block from me. He thought it was real cool to use our street as a drag strip. I videoed him, then showed the vid to the police. They went to arrest him but he bolted out a window in the back of the house. He eventually hit three cars then drove away. He'll be back in about 6 years. He's where he belongs!

beerchug.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(kaiserms @ Dec 17 2016, 03:10 PM) *

Message to Tom: we used to live in Orange till 1993. I managed the small grocery store at the south end of The Circle. Ran all of POC's TT 1985-90.
Moved to Michigan. 20 degrees right now.
Kaiser

Kaiser,

I'll bet we met you there at the store before back then too! I've lived in Orange since `85, & my wife since `68 - in the same house on Shaffer St by OHS.

Being born in Pittsburgh & lived there `til `63 when my Dad got a job in San Diego, then they moved to Indy on another job xfer in `71 - & our visiting family in Indy & PGH at the Holidays many times over the ensuing years since `63 - I know exactly what you're in for now back there! shades.gif

Happy Holidays & Enjoy your "White Xmas"! santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
carcus
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 17 2016, 06:38 AM) *

But I sir am a retired military vet of several wars.....and not a jackass. Out here the guys in Honda Civics and Subaru are the nut cases. I respect residential areas and other drivers. If I want to play, from years of drag racing on strips, SCCA stuff....I know where to play;) beer3.gif
carcus
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 17 2016, 03:07 AM) *

QUOTE(carcus @ Dec 17 2016, 12:50 AM) *

Your 'Stang will still be covered by the factory warranty with the added supercharger - is it a factory authorized and warranted piece? That's pretty cool! I know it's been said that an LS swap is about 10k but that's starting off with a clean car - if you've got other repairs obviously it's going to cost more. Maybe next winter you'll change your mind... nothing like 400 hp in a 2300lb platform that's well sorted out!

It is a stage 2 Roush 727 HP package. It is covered under warranty and being installed by a Ford Roush authorized dealer/installer.

Next year, the 914 gets some rust and body work, hopefully the fender flares. Both the Stang and 914 will sleep when it snows. I have my winter beater to get me through till the spring.
carcus
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 17 2016, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Dec 17 2016, 10:11 AM) *

lol-2.gif

LOL, for the price some of us pay to restore a 914....10K is chump change. Not being a snob saying I paid that amount for a supercharger. But I can dump that much on getting a rebuilt early 911 engine to throw in the 914 with a rebuild. Just letting the members know I am kinda out of the game on the 914 restoration till the SC on the Stang is installed and paid off. I am not rich by any means and did not want to come off as elite. The 914 is a different car, my first car in the military was a Euro Spec 914/6 I could not take back with me. This little rusted fun to work on money pit....is my link to the past and I enjoy it. I will never get what I put into it out of it, but it will stay with me till I die.

Hell, the money I spent on getting an IMS fix for a Porsche design problem on my 996 and the trans rebuild was 10K. Now....for that money, that takes me a while to save up being retired....I want bang for the buck. I said 10K because to me that is a ton of money and a big deal, also being married to the same woman for 25 years...try dropping that bomb on the wife like I did.

Please do not take this the wrong way or analyze it for more than what the thread is worth.
carcus
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Dec 17 2016, 08:11 AM) *

10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K 10K

Hope this clears this up. beerchug.gif

Next, a billion dollars and a shark with lasers on the 914

carcus
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 17 2016, 08:43 AM) *

Been looking at a gt350 but just can't justify paying 10k over sticker... lol-2.gif

Seriously though, my heighbor just put that kit on his 16, it's a sleeper look (for a GT) but sounds so much different. Install looks factory clean, they did a nice job, he also did a mod to his clutch pedal to complement (he removed a spring?), says it gives a bit more aggressive and more active feel without getting too stiff.

He's been begging me to drive, I've been staying away cause I don't want the bug... I'm happy with my jeep srt... until they hellcat next years model.

The prices over sticker for the GT350 are nuts. My friend just got a Dodge Hellcat. He traded in so many other Chargers to upgrade, probably has the most expensive Hellcat in the state with how upside down he is. I like the sleeper look with the SC going on the Stang. It is a Hellcat slayer.

I love all cars, had over 35 in my life. I chose the 914 for Nostalgia and remembering it from the military. At -4 degrees, is is not my best choice for a winter car...nor will be the 727 HP upgraded SC Stang....but when the spring comes, I will love both at much.
flat4guy
I think Ford should be ashamed at what dealers add on to the price - in the central valley in Calif I have seen as much as $40k dealer mark up on GT350's - STUPID !!!! So why are we losing sales???
colingreene
infraredcalvin, work on your damn 914 already.

Also how many crowds can you kill with 10k? guess were gonna find out.

IPB Image
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(colingreene @ Dec 17 2016, 10:26 PM) *

LOL what's up Colin, I was waiting for that....

I have been working on the 914... we'll at least it's future power plant...

2.7 case is split, gutted, headstuds removed. I'm cleaning up for machine work... helicoils and timeserts pulling. After seeing what needs to go into this case, I'm thinking a mild build, I've got another 7r case that's in much better shape I'll use for a more aggressive build down the line.

Time to start researching machine shops and see what I can do to salvage the p&cs.
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Dec 17 2016, 08:42 PM) *

I think Ford should be ashamed at what dealers add on to the price - in the central valley in Calif I have seen as much as $40k dealer mark up on GT350's - STUPID !!!! So why are we losing sales???

flat4guy,

Mark up is simply a fact of life- real life business.
Any business who has a "in demand " product will ask for more- simply look at what's been happening to the low production Porsches...

If they don't, many flippers will.

Carcus, a Big Congrats on your build... for me, it does get old driving a 4 banger at times.
Tom_T
QUOTE(carcus @ Dec 17 2016, 08:50 PM) *
Out here the guys in Honda Civics and Subaru are the nut cases.

Careful now Carcas .... my son is a Honda guy up there - a still serving E5 at Carson, & he does drive sanely & respect neighbors on & off post!

He drives an `88 Honda Civic Hatchback DX that we refurbished/restored together back in 2008-09, & that was owned in our family since new by 2 of his uncles on my wife's side.

As completed in April 2009, all stock - not a rice burner mod....
Click to view attachment

He's leaving in it today for block leave in SoCal over the Holidays, so I hope the weather & road conditions cooperate for him! driving.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Catorse
I like the American Iron too.

Below is a pic of my 800whp Camaro. It cost a lot more than 10K to get it to this point LOL.

It slays basically any production car.....and tons of modified ones!
6freak
QUOTE(carcus @ Dec 16 2016, 11:50 PM) *

no i dont understand ..2015 model thats one hell of a factory warranty ...is there a limits to HP and other goodys you can install .. seems strang they let you bolt stuff on the motor

smile.gif
carcus
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 18 2016, 01:34 PM) *

QUOTE(carcus @ Dec 17 2016, 08:50 PM) *
Out here the guys in Honda Civics and Subaru are the nut cases.

Careful now Carcas .... my son is a Honda guy up there - a still serving E5 at Carson, & he does drive sanely & respect neighbors on & off post!

He drives an `88 Honda Civic Hatchback DX that we refurbished/restored together back in 2008-09, & that was owned in our family since new by 2 of his uncles on my wife's side.

As completed in April 2009, all stock - not a rice burner mod....
Click to view attachment

He's leaving in it today for block leave in SoCal over the Holidays, so I hope the weather & road conditions cooperate for him! driving.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

No disrespect to a normal Honda or Subaru driver but the ones that run around with young kids, wanting to race everything, that was my point. I worked with my son on restoring his BMW E30 so know the fun with doing it as a team. My son is returning that by helping me restore the 914 with me.

carcus
QUOTE(Catorse @ Dec 18 2016, 02:31 PM) *

I like the American Iron too.

Below is a pic of my 800whp Camaro. It cost a lot more than 10K to get it to this point LOL.

It slays basically any production car.....and tons of modified ones!

That is very awesome, my buddy just got a Hellcat. Love the green color. I am taking my Stock GT down tomorrow for the Stage 2 upgrade. I have snow in the forecast tomorrow and just want to dump it off at the dealer and will be patient for the upgrades. When it is done, will garage it till snow and roads are clear. I would like advice on upgrades after the SC. My first Camaro was a LS1 1998 Cayenne auto with a 3000 Yank converter I used to drag race. I am a general car lover for all cars....if I was not, would never get a 98 HP 914. Every car has a place and a different feeling.
carcus
QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 19 2016, 08:51 AM) *

QUOTE(carcus @ Dec 16 2016, 11:50 PM) *

no i dont understand ..2015 model thats one hell of a factory warranty ...is there a limits to HP and other goodys you can install .. seems strang they let you bolt stuff on the motor

smile.gif

2015 first year of the S550 Mustang, traded in a 2006 BMW M5 V10 for it. Just wanted a black Stang, with black leather in 6 speed manual. Had the Porsche 914 that I traded a Maserati Zagato Spyder convert for. I had more invested in the Maserati twin turbo than the 76 914 I got in a straight trade. But the 914...first car I had in the military overseas, 914/6, euro spec I could not bring back. Traded in the spyder for the 914. Yea, to me, lost my arse. Needs lots of rust repair, spent over 5K on the 914 now. Now is time for me to put the project on the burner for a while, that 914 brings me back to my youth.

The supercharger upgrade on a new under warranty Stang, that reminds me of an old 60's Shelby fastback....with tons of power, my other dream car. My original post was not bragging about money I spent, but more about the fear of spending that for the SC upgrade and pulling the trigger.\

But yes, confirmed with the dealer again today, all drive train, engine, still bumper to bumper warranty with the 727 S2 supercharger, covered till my warranty expires in Oct of 2018. Some dealers are different than others.
carcus
Please, if anyone if upset by this post, that is not the intention. Some of us have other cars for other uses. I am an old school VW bug guy, love the Ghia, and BMW, but love the muscle cars. No way you can get power out of old German cars like you can with new cars. Trust me, miss my Porsche 996 with the IMS upgrade, rebuilt trans...that was at 60K miles, over 10K invested, then traded it in for a 2006 SMG M5 V10...big mistake. 67K miles....vanos failure, cracked block, after 10K invested in new brakes, repairs.....they wanted 16K for a new V10 on the BMW...

I said detail it....drove it to the Ford Dealer and dumped it. Said give me the 6 speed, black stang. That is the story.
6freak
QUOTE(colingreene @ Dec 17 2016, 10:26 PM) *

Also how many crowds can you kill with 10k? guess were gonna find out.

IPB Image

copy on the warranty thing! any fine print on off hiway use...but I have one more ? why do you want the crowd in your grill, Id personally want them behind me....Im just poke n fun because well it is a Ford after all biggrin.gif just my 10K worth

santa_smiley.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(carcus @ Dec 22 2016, 12:14 AM) *

Please, if anyone if upset by this post, that is not the intention. Some of us have other cars for other uses. I am an old school VW bug guy, love the Ghia, and BMW, but love the muscle cars. No way you can get power out of old German cars like you can with new cars. Trust me, miss my Porsche 996 with the IMS upgrade, rebuilt trans...that was at 60K miles, over 10K invested, then traded it in for a 2006 SMG M5 V10...big mistake. 67K miles....vanos failure, cracked block, after 10K invested in new brakes, repairs.....they wanted 16K for a new V10 on the BMW...

I said detail it....drove it to the Ford Dealer and dumped it. Said give me the 6 speed, black stang. That is the story.

Not to worry, many of us on here can multi-make function! biggrin.gif

Also, I was just poke.gif you on the Honda Rice-burner Hotrodders! smile.gif

My hope with working with my son on his Honda resto/refurb, was as a "practice project" for our collaborating on my 914. Unfortunately it had the opposite effect. He said: "Dad, I'm glad we worked together on the Honda & I learned a lot, but .... I NEVER want to do that on a car again!" - soooo.... sad.gif

He then signed up for the Army a couple of months later, & still drives the Honda now over 210K mi (we got it about 124K), & just got here on Monday night - driving down from your neck in CO Springs..

Since others are sharing, I also "multi-make" on cars - here's my sad 914 & our 2 original owner & still DDs - one being an E30 like your Father-Son project:

Just to keep this a "legal" 914/Porsche content topic - my 1973 914-2.0 "914S" - orig. L80E Light Ivory on #31 Beige, was painted Sahara Beige then Gold by dealer before OO bought it on 11/6/72, & was Gold when I bought it at 3 years old in 1975, then I did a Rustoration focused Repaint to the `75-76 MY 914 Copper Metallic in 1976, & it's currently the 1976 MY Porsche 930 Anthracite Metallic since my 2nd 1980-83 Rolling Resto - then I stored since the Bimbo's parking structure hit on it in 4/85, & lately it's been slow & much diverted away resto #3 since `09 - 2nd owner since Dec. `75 ....
Click to view attachment

1985 BMW 325e E30 - Cosmos Blue on Perl Beige - Rolling Repaint/Refurb/Interior 2006-13 & Mechanical Refurb as needed all along & now - Original Owner ....
Click to view attachment

1988 VW Vanagon CamperGL Westfalia - Dove Blue on Grey - Rolling Resto 2011-13 & Mechanical Refurb as needed all along & now - Original Owner ....
Click to view attachment

So those 3 are my currently owned cars, which are only my #3, 4 & 5 of the 5 total which I've owned since my first car in 1969, which was a `68 Opel Kadette 1.1L 2Dr Notchback Coupe, & #2 in `71 was formerly my Dad's `69 Pontiac Ventura 400cid AT 4dr HT - & the 5 are not counting my parents' cars, wife's, kids' cars) which I still own.

The Opel's engine blew while I was in college, so I took over payments on my Dad's car which he was going to sell due to a job transfer San Diego to Indy, & I sold the Pontiac due to the gas crisis in 73 > & it going from $0.25 to $0.80 - $1 a gallon on a car that got 7-10 mpg! blink.gif ... so I got the 914! smile.gif driving.gif

Rather than being a serial car owner, I've just selected well, kept & maintained my cars that I like, but we're currently hunting for a nice low mile 2008-14 Porsche Cayenne S to tow our vintage 1960 Avion T20 trailer to shows (sim. to Airstream), & my 914 to shops for the resto. & then to shows.

Happy Holidays! beerchug.gif santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
Did I miss a pic of your Stang, or do you need to post it!? confused24.gif

BTW - my long time buddies give me a hard time about not owning any 'Mercun cars .... forgetting about my Pontiac - so the inverse of "not a 914" is true too! biggrin.gif

BTW - that nephew I mentioned who sells Rousch & other Hi-Po Stangs & Fords, was a 'Stang nut since before he could drive, & started flipping 'Stangs on the old school paper AutoTraders started at 14, & had flipped up enough equity to buy one for his 16th birthday when he could finally legally drive it! He's in his late 30's now & awaiting the next 'Stang to replace his current `15.

Happy Holidays to All - multi-marquers or not! santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
carcus
Holy good Lord!!! This thing is scary fast and with the exhaust and off road pipe, close to 750 HP. Sorry for the nasty pics of the rear...light snow on the road and drove it home today from the dealer. Now that I got my fix on the Stang, getting back this spring on the 914 with a new pan install and some body work. Being an all cars guy, sports, muscle, classic, lux.....went through about 35 cars in my life of 46 years. Nothing has scared me more than this.
cali914
QUOTE(carcus @ Jan 6 2017, 09:27 PM) *

Holy good Lord!!! This thing is scary fast and with the exhaust and off road pipe, close to 750 HP. Sorry for the nasty pics of the rear...light snow on the road and drove it home today from the dealer. Now that I got my fix on the Stang, getting back this spring on the 914 with a new pan install and some body work. Being an all cars guy, sports, muscle, classic, lux.....went through about 35 cars in my life of 46 years. Nothing has scared me more than this.

To each its own. There's nothing wrong with 10k or american muscle, I bet that an Ls3 914 can walk that mustang though. Wheel spin is cheap, but if you like that sort of thing dont worry be happy poke.gif
carcus
Traded in a BMW M5 for the Stang....the V10 block was failing at 75K miles with a crack and went through the VANOS issue.

Traded in which I should not have done a Porsche 996 with the IMS fix and rebuilt trans at 75K miles for the M5 while getting and oil change done at the Porsche dealer. Damn I miss that car.

Ended up buying a rare Zagato body Maserati Bi Turbo with 57K miles on it....traded that for my rust bucket 914 for nostalgia. I go through cars quite a bit but am not a car snob. I can tell you after 3 Italian cars catching on fire....never touching those again. Would I take the Maserati back for the 914...hell no. The 914 was my first car in the military before Desert Storm....and I loved driving that 914/6 Euro spec car I could not take back to the states with me. Traded it for an Alfa Guiletta and the 914/6 went to a Navy guy.

Click to view attachment

So that is my story. Hope you enjoy the pics.
carcus
I cry every time I see the 996 I built with Fabspeed components and making the IMS/trans bullet proof. I wanted to turbo that but my problem is I get bored with cars a bit. Right now, the SC Stang is the fastest car I have driven, 4K miles on it, almost 750 HP and fastest car I have ever been in. So scary, I fear it right now first getting it back. But the smile on my face I get from the 914 and the memories, nothing can give me the same thing. Sad, the Stang and the 914 are sleeping for the winter. I really now since I have finished everything I want to do with the Stang, want to focus on the 914 this spring. I really look forward to it. For now, driving the 115K mile Ford Jaguar X Type with snow tires in the winter. Regardless what you guys think about that, cheaper than a used Subaru, and the thing is a tank. No Lucas wiring issues either, solid Ford engine. Gonna run it till it dies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.