Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need alternator housing restoration advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
Doing a 6 engine.....I would like to make alternator support housing look original.
I do not want to paint. Any knowledgeable suggestions..
A. To clean up
B. Finish so protected
Thanks
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Dec 17 2016, 06:19 PM) *

Doing a 6 engine.....I would like to make alternator support housing look original.
A. To clean up
B. Finish so protected
Thanks

Problem is it's magnesium, if you don't coat it it will look like shit in about a month.
Some guys blast it clean (fine glass, walnut or soda) and then clear it with a semi-gloss clear or just spray it with Gibbs penetrant, wax, etc.

With the gibbs or wax you will have to reapply often.

In a /6 you barely see all except the very top edge, I wouldn't obsess over it. I just painted mine close to the natural colour.
raynekat
What is an alternator support? Are you referring to the fan housing?
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 17 2016, 03:52 PM) *

A. To clean up
B. Finish so protected
Thanks

Problem is it's magnesium, if you don't coat it it will look like shit in about a month.
Some guys blast it clean (fine glass, walnut or soda) and then clear it with a semi-gloss clear or just spray it with Gibbs penetrant, wax, etc.

In a /6 you barely see all except the very top edge, I wouldn't obsess over it. I just painted mine close to the natural colour.

+1
sixaddict
Doug -Yes ----brain went to sleep so "made up" description.
I saw what you had done to your alternator and was so impressed I had to step up. This is a real six so trying not to stray...Wont be concour but trying to stay true to form.
TOT

QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 18 2016, 12:41 AM) *

What is an alternator support? Are you referring to the fan housing?

sixaddict
Did not know it was mag....thanks ...That changes thought process ..Thx

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 17 2016, 03:52 PM) *

A. To clean up
B. Finish so protected
Thanks

McMark
Two fans and housings I did.

1. Media blast.
2. Sand with maroon scotchbrite pads to smooth texture.
3. Clean, clean, clean, just like any good paint prep.
4. Rattle can satin clear (I don't like semi-gloss).

On the green 911 engine I also removed the center hub and had it replated, then reinstalled with OE rivets. But you don't see the fan in a 914, so you may choose to skip that OCD step. wink.gif
sixaddict
Thanks Mark....Good thought...I am too impatient to be too OCD but I always like to see it as you and raynekat did his....
I noticed it is hard to get strap out with scratching so trying to also figure how to treat that and then have shop reinstall without ruining the finish
What is correct?

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 18 2016, 06:09 AM) *

Two fans and housings I did.

1. Media blast.
2. Sand with maroon scotchbrite pads to smooth texture.
3. Clean, clean, clean, just like any good paint prep.
4. Rattle can satin clear (I don't like semi-gloss).

On the green 911 engine I also removed the center hub and had it replated, then reinstalled with OE rivets. But you don't see the fan in a 914, so you may choose to skip that OCD step. wink.gif
McMark
I just had mine yellow zinc plated. But, yes the installation method leaves a lot to be desired. But there's no other way, so you just have to try your best. Masking tape on the surface may help.
mepstein
I noticed it is hard to get strap out with scratching so trying to also figure how to treat that and then have shop reinstall without ruining the finish.

Have it plated and then reinstall. I use some very thin flat strips of plastic with some lube to sandwich the strap and a plastic body tool. The strap pulls through easily without scratching.
sixaddict
this one was painted so plating will help...Should do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.