Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 72 914 one owner car .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
72914wrx
Baby on the way forces me to sell . This car was found in Fresno Ca and spent its hole life in Fresno since new . This car is mostly original other than one repaint and side shift transmission that was installed . The car was always stored in a garage since new . this is truly a rust free car . No rust in the hell hole area at all . The original dash is near perfect on this car . Since owning this car I have rebuilt the motor , installed new brake lines , and installed new brake pads on the front . This is a very clean original car . I have the original radio , bra , ski rack and other parts. Asking 17,500
Kdavisfarms917@gmail.com
Kevin Davis 559-917-2828
72914wrx
More 72 pics
72914wrx
72 pics
72914wrx
72 pics
72914wrx
72 914
72914wrx
72 pics
72914wrx
72 pics
72914wrx
72 pics Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Hey Kevin,

This is a very nice looking car & I wish you the best in selling it to fund your new arrival in the family - congratz on that as well. beerchug.gif

However, you really need to correct your post's title, since this is at least a two owner car, with you as the 2nd owner, & perhaps more in between you & the OO - I don't know .... unless you're really in you're the original owner of it since new & in your 60's now, & starting a family very late in life! biggrin.gif

Just a minor point of order on the listing.

I'll pass this along to a guy I know of looking for a nice original 72 /4.

GLWTS & Baby & Happy Holidays! beerchug.gif santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
72914wrx
72 pics
72914wrx
I have a little more information that I forgot to add. The motor and transmission has no leaks. The car has 116,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner and bought it from the original owner last year.
toolguy
QUOTE(72914wrx @ Dec 18 2016, 01:00 PM) *

Spent it's whole life in Fresno

I'm looking for an original Cal car. . If this is one, why doesn't it have the original blue plates ?. .
The pictured white plates without the raised "California" logo and starting with digit 5 were issued around 2007. In Calif, since plates remain with the car upon transfer, normally it would be expected to have blue California plates, indicative of an original, always in California car. Do you know what happen in the car's life to change the plates?
72914wrx
The PO liked the newer California white plates . I have service that shows that the car stayed in Fresno Ca it hole life .
mgphoto
72 side shifter?
72914wrx
Yes the transmission was change a side shifter for better shifting .
tomh
Looks like it has retractable belts that were added,my original 72 had the stationary belts and retractable were not offered till 73.
72914wrx
The seats and belts are original to the car . 71 was the last year fixed seat and belts .
Midway
HELP

Is there anyone in the area who would be willing to have a look at this car on my behalf? I'm at a bit of a geographical disadvantage. A PM reply is good.
Alternatively, an operator with a good reputation you could recommend. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
echocanyons
I took some time to inspect Kevin's car this morning. These are my impressions from this car:

116K miles is likely correct from the look of this car, it has had one exterior repaint that was done with proper prep including removal of all the light and trim (no over spray). Unfortunately they did remove the door jamb vin stamp during this process. The color appears to have more metallic fleck and is a bit 'brighter than the original as seen under the hoods and trunks.

This car does not have any evidence of accident, body damage or repair.

This is an example of a clean Central California survivor that has likely been garaged for the majority of its existence and has not been subjected to the central California sun/heat. The rubber seals and the bumper tops are supple and soft and aside from forward door to windscreen seals, they are all in good shape.

This car is free from rust in the usual places including the battery tray, the 'hell holes', the cowl and the door jambs. This car does not have undercoating and is extremely dry and free from corrosion. The lower firewall is clean and unrusted or damaged from the typical pulled clutch cable.

There are a few minor cosmetic imperfections including paint touch-up over what appears to be a rock chip on the passenger front fender, a rock chip on the passenger door, a small dent near the top of the rear fender. On the drivers door there are a few minor mars/scratches that may be able to be buffed out. The paint at the cowl has a couple of minor chips. The front bumper has a few dents, likely from rocks and not from accidents.

The rear decklid passenger hinge has had an attempt at repair that includes welding. This looks to be functional (although not pretty) but the result is that the passenger side decklid sits 2-3 mm higher than it should.

The rear trunk has had drain holes drilled in the rear trunk floor but does not have any evidence of rust, these are ~2mm holes and there are approximately 10-12 of these.

The headlight surrounds appear to be original for the year but have been painted black, the black pain has flaked off in a few places to reveal the correct white material.

The interior is very clean with minor wear on the drivers bolster in two places without rips or separation. The dash is perfect as are the door panels. The only evident modification to the interior is the radio, but Kevin does have the original.

The mechanicals appear to be mostly original with the exception of an aftermarket muffler and the side-shift conversion. It does have KYB rear shocks and no swaybars.
The car drives very nicely including proper shifting with good synchros on all gears. The car started up easily and idled pretty smoothly. The power was less than I remembered in my old 72 1.7 but this may be my faulty memory. The power band did pickup from 3.5K-4K RPMs.

Thanks again Kevin for letting me check out your car today.

Pictures can be found here:
Inspection pictures
Will Hesch
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Dec 26 2016, 12:45 PM) *

I took some time to inspect Kevin's car this morning. These are my impressions from this car:

116K miles is likely correct from the look of this car, it has had one exterior repaint that was done with proper prep including removal of all the light and trim (no over spray). Unfortunately they did remove the door jamb vin stamp during this process. The color appears to have more metallic fleck and is a bit 'brighter than the original as seen under the hoods and trunks.

This is an example of a clean Central California survivor that has likely been garaged for the majority of its existence and has not been subjected to the central California sun/heat. The rubber seals and the bumper tops are supple and soft and aside from forward door to windscreen seals, they are all in good shape.

This car is free from rust in the usual places including the battery tray, the 'hell holes', the cowl and the door jambs. This car does not have undercoating and is extremely dry and free from corrosion. The lower firewall is clean and unrusted or damaged from the typical pulled clutch cable.

There are a few minor cosmetic imperfections including paint touch-up over what appears to be a rock chip on the passenger front fender, a rock chip on the passenger door, a small dent near the top of the rear fender. On the drivers door there are a few minor mars/scratches that may be able to be buffed out. The paint at the cowl has a couple of minor chips. The front bumper has a few dents, likely from rocks and not from accidents.

The rear decklid passenger hinge has had an attempt at repair that includes welding. This looks to be functional (although not pretty) but the result is that the passenger side decklid sits 2-3 mm higher than it should.

The rear trunk has had drain holes drilled in the rear trunk floor but does not have any evidence of rust, these are ~2mm holes and there are approximately 10-12 of these.

The headlight surrounds appear to be original for the year but have been painted black, the black pain has flaked off in a few places to reveal the correct white material.

The interior is very clean with minor wear on the drivers bolster in two places without rips or separation. The dash is perfect as are the door panels. The only evident modification to the interior is the radio, but Kevin does have the original.

The mechanicals appear to be mostly original with the exception of an aftermarket muffler and the side-shift conversion. It does have KYB rear shocks and no swaybars.
The car drives very nicely including proper shifting with good synchros on all gears. The car started up easily and idled pretty smoothly. The power was less than I remembered in my old 72 1.7 but this may be my faulty memory. The power band did pickup from 3.5K-4K RPMs.

Inspection pictures

I just have to add that I've inspected the car as well with every intent on purchasing it. My wife and I drove 150 miles to see it. The main reason I didn't purchase it was the engine loping. Kevin and his father said: "They all do that."

I didn't want a loping Porsche so we passed on it.

Also, the dash isn't perfect, it's close but there's a tear/rip/whatever at the intersection of the instrument hood to lower (right) dash. Small but not perfect.

Could be the perfect car for someone, just not us.
echocanyons
QUOTE(Will Hesch @ Dec 26 2016, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Will Hesch @ Dec 26 2016, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(echocanyons @ Dec 26 2016, 12:45 PM) *

Inspection pictures

I just have to add that I've inspected the car as well with every intent of purchasing it. My wife and I drove 150 miles to see it. The main reason I didn't purchase it was the engine loping. Kevin and his father said: "They all do that."

Also, the dash isn't perfect, it's close but there's a tear/rip/whatever at the intersection of the instrument hood to lower (right) dash. Small but not perfect.

Could be the perfect car for someone, just not us.

Interesting.

Certainly I could have missed the tear in the dash.

In regards to the engine loping; I did not experience this and I did drive it and listen to it idle for some time.

Best of luck finding your car.

mark 74 carrera
echocanyons,

Great and neutral review of this car. Very informative for the seller and eventual buyer.

Mark
DEC
Thanks for your support Kelly
72914wrx
Sold pending payment.
Shredhead
QUOTE(Will Hesch @ Dec 26 2016, 06:14 PM) *

I just have to add that I've inspected the car as well with every intent on purchasing it. My wife and I drove 150 miles to see it. The main reason I didn't purchase it was the engine loping. Kevin and his father said: "They all do that."

What's "loping"?

gcrotvik
QUOTE(Shredhead @ Jan 6 2017, 06:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Will Hesch @ Dec 26 2016, 06:14 PM) *

What's "loping"?

Intermittent low to high (normal) idle often caused by a vacuum leak or incorrect timing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.