Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my new old crusty winter project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bowzer
hello.hopefully i can get a clue or two by asking all you knowledgeable folks to ponder this situation.so i just bought this 71 914 that has been sitting for approx 7 years because of a broken suspension console.ive changes the rotten fuel lines put new points in,checked this and that.what ive come up with is that the injector points and the injectors are getting no power.good spark at dist,fuel pump is pumping but the injectors arnt opening.also, is the pump supposed to run full time?thanks for any info i might gather from you all.
euro911
Everything you need to know will be somewhere in Brad Ander's site ... a wealth of knowledge - http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm

Good luck
jmill
QUOTE(bowzer @ Dec 18 2016, 02:52 PM) *

so i just bought this 71 914 that has been sitting for approx 7 years because of a broken suspension console.

Welcome to the deep end of the pool!

And..
welcome.png
Spoke
QUOTE(bowzer @ Dec 18 2016, 03:52 PM) *
what ive come up with is that the injector points and the injectors are getting no power.good spark at dist,fuel pump is pumping but the injectors arnt opening.also, is the pump supposed to run full time?

welcome.png

The fuel pump should run for 1.5 seconds when you turn the ignition key from off to on. This is to pump up the FI pressure.

Does the FP run for 1.5 seconds after the key is turned on?

When you turn the key from ON to START, as the engine turns, the extra contacts on the distributor open and close indicating to the FI ECU the engine is turning so the ECU turns on the fuel pump full time (while the engine is running).

These extra distributor contacts also drive the pulses to the injectors. If these contacts are not opening/closing with engine cranking, you won't have pulses to the injectors or the fuel pump running.
Spoke
You mentioned in a PM that the fuel pump runs all the time. It's either been rewired to run all the time or something is wrong with the wiring to the ECU, FP relay, or the ECU itself.

Can you take some pics of the engine compartment; especially the relay board in the engine compartment behind the driver and the ECU behind the passenger.
bowzer
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 20 2016, 09:48 AM) *

You mentioned in a PM that the fuel pump runs all the time. It's either been rewired to run all the time or something is wrong with the wiring to the ECU, FP relay, or the ECU itself.

Can you take some pics of the engine compartment; especially the relay board in the engine compartment behind the driver and the ECU behind the passenger.

being that this is a project car at my shop,ive got to dink with it when im not busy,as i am now.but the fuel pump relay had a hot wire going into one of the prongs so i took it off,replaced the relay with a good one and the fuel pimp now fires up initially w the key but not for 1.5 sec,s more like 1/2.and the 4 wire prong is plugged in.thanks
bowzer
QUOTE(bowzer @ Dec 20 2016, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 20 2016, 09:48 AM) *

being that this is a project car at my shop,ive got to dink with it when im not busy,as i am now.but the fuel pump relay had a hot wire going into one of the prongs so i took it off,replaced the relay with a good one and the fuel pimp now fires up initially w the key but not for 1.5 sec,s more like 1/2.and the 4 wire prong is plugged in.thanks

just a fyi.after replacing that relay,what do you know?it fired right up,like it hadnt been dead for 7 yrs.thanks for your help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.