Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeaky roof?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Will Hesch
We purchased a 75 2.0 yesterday but the roof squeaks going over bumps.

Is this normal?

Is there a cure?

All new rubber front/windshield and top of "roll-bar".

Thanks, Will
Mikey914
Usually no fuzzey on the rear targa seal is the source.
Will Hesch
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 18 2016, 01:12 PM) *

Usually no fuzzey on the rear targa seal is the source.

Thanks Mikey, I was going to put a strip of terry-cloth on it to see if that quieted it, your reply confirmed what I suspected and no, there's no "fuzzy" on the top.

Will
TheCabinetmaker
Another squeak spot is the rubber blocks on the Targa that rest in the latches
maf914
You can spray the old roof seals with silicon for temporary relief from squeaks, but this is very temporary. New seals will usually solve the problem, for a while.

Another source for squeaks and creaks and thumps is the rear window, which can occur if the rear seal starts to break loose. In the pre-internet days without a forum to ask for help, I assumed noises from the rear window were actually roof seals. It took me forever to find that the rear glass was coming loose, which I repaired by replacing the butyl seal. Check that as well.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 18 2016, 01:40 PM) *

agree.gif
And also the rear latches themselves where the hook engages....chased that one for weeks
rhodyguy
The 2 rubber standoffs are a common culprit. I put pieces of adhesive backed felt in the recesses of the targa bar. Cured those 2 squeek points.
Will Hesch
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Dec 19 2016, 05:36 AM) *

agree.gif
And also the rear latches themselves where the hook engages....chased that one for weeks

Windsurfer/John, what did you do to eliminate the hook squeaking?
Will
Will Hesch
Rhodyguy, that's a good idea, thanks!
Will
rhodyguy
The little bit of thickness helps to tighten up the rear hook latches too.
914_teener
QUOTE(Will Hesch @ Dec 19 2016, 10:34 AM) *

agree.gif

Will

I put a small peice of vacuum hose over the "tit" that the latch hooks onto.
wndsrfr

agree.gif

Will

Little bit of Teflon tape, which I had also put on the recess for the rubber blocks. A little dab of lube should do to isolate it....
Will Hesch
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 19 2016, 10:51 AM) *

agree.gif

Will

That's a great idea, thanks!
Will Hesch
Thanks to all of you guys for the suggestions and ideas, this is a great forum full of good folks!
Will
jor
My top is squeaking like a tortured mouse. Like a loose floorboard in a haunted house. Like something else that squeaks a lot. It squeaks pretty constantly over all types of surfaces and mainly from the rear edge of the top. Could someone be kind enough to post a photo of the fuzzy described in this thread? I'd really appreciate it! I don't seem to have anything fuzzy on the top of the targa or the bottom of the trailing edge of the top and I'm thinking that might be the issue.
vw_porsche

[/quote]

I did the same. Works great!
sb914
I Hardley Ever drive with top on. Part of the beauty of these cars.
jor
[quote name='vw_porsche' date='Jun 13 2017, 08:50 AM' post='2496014']
[/quote]

I did the same. Works great!
[/quote]

Thank you for your response - I can certainly try the bit of vacuum hose on the pin to which the hooks latch, but I was wondering what those fuzzy things described above look like.

I've been driving my car to work and got caught in drizzle last week (in LA?!). I pulled the car over, put on the top, and immediately had the need to start searching this site for solutions. What a great resource you all are!
SirAndy
The squeak comes from the trapezoid shaped hard rubber pieces (attached to the roof) that slide into the metal recess on the latches.
The hard rubber rubs the metal of the latch, thus the squeaking.

Adding more meat to the latch hooks helps because you are applying more clamping force to the roof but it does in NO WAY fix the actual cause!

The best way to get rid of the squeak is to apply something like felt etc. to the rubber trapezoid surface that contacts the latch.
This will completely eliminate the noise.
popcorn[1].gif
jor
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2017, 12:39 PM) *

The squeak comes from the trapezoid shaped hard rubber pieces (attached to the roof) that slide into the metal recess on the latches.
The hard rubber rubs the metal of the latch, thus the squeaking.

Adding more meat to the latch hooks helps because you are applying more clamping force to the roof but it does in NO WAY fix the actual cause!

The best way to get rid of the squeak is to apply something like felt etc. to the rubber trapezoid surface that contacts the latch.
This will completely eliminate the noise.
popcorn[1].gif

Thank you! I've now located the trapezoid-shaped hard rubber pieces. I'll grab some felt this weekend and try out the fix. I really appreciate your advice!
MikeM
Can you post a photo please?
Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.