Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing steering column wiper switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanpaulmc
The arm for the wiper switch coming out of the steering column in my '73 has been cut away. You can see that in the photos. Will this be hard to fix? Where can I source one?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thank you!
cary
This will give a good start as to what you need to do.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...iper_switch.htm

My usual part sources (GPR & Pelican) aren't showing anything. Pelican shows Porsche NLA. The interweb is showing both Automotion and AutoAtlanta as having them.
EBay has some NOS (New Old Stock) ads.

http://www.automotion.com/wiper-washer-swi...5aokaArES8P8HAQ

When removing the tiny Allen screws from the steering wheel be careful. Good Allen tool.
Tap it in to make sure its well seated. If it was me I'd start with an oh so slight turn to the right (tightening) to loosen/break the torque. Oh so slight, smidgen.
Valy
Take this one: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...C-111-953-519-G
Use the extra loose wire to activate an electric water pump instead of the spare tire pneumatic (read leaking) system.
tomh
Contact Rich at High Performance House.
He has everything you will ever need for your 914.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Valy @ Dec 20 2016, 06:02 PM) *

Take this one: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...C-111-953-519-G
Use the extra loose wire to activate an electric water pump instead of the spare tire pneumatic (read leaking) system.

+1 That's what I did. Takes a little bit of work, but it's an improvement over stock.
Valy
You don't need to remove the 6 allen screws (actually don't even try).
Remove the horn button in the center and there is a big nut behind it that holds the wheel. Then there are 4 screws that hold the wipers and signaling switches.
Please make sure you notice the small copper tab that comes loose with one of the screws. You will need it to ground the switches and many people loose it in the process.
porschetub
Buy wisely,there is some rubbish ones out there,well documented on Samba,the Chinese copy ones are rubbish,take care fitting the wire retainer down the column this can be easily broken.
I recommend you replace the ignition switch @ the same time,takes little extra time but worth it while its all apart,I learned the hard way after getting my electric washer pump sorted the switch crapped out after a week headbang.gif .
The electric pump conversion is a must also,the correct pump is easy to buy as its used in the 911,pelican parts stock them.
seanpaulmc
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 21 2016, 03:55 PM) *

Buy wisely,there is some rubbish ones out there,well documented on Samba,the Chinese copy ones are rubbish,take care fitting the wire retainer down the column this can be easily broken.
I recommend you replace the ignition switch @ the same time,takes little extra time but worth it while its all apart,I learned the hard way after getting my electric washer pump sorted the switch crapped out after a week headbang.gif .
The electric pump conversion is a must also,the correct pump is easy to buy as its used in the 911,pelican parts stock them.

Thanks for the info everybody. However it raises more questions for me. Looking back at the first photo I posted you can see the steering wheel straight on with the buttons on each side. The silver button next to the hazards on the left of the wheel starts the car (ignition) when the key is on. The silver button between the lighter and the heater controls to the right of the wheel is currently the horn. Reading 'Porschetub's' comments would leave me to believe I need that new ignition switch already.

Anything else while I'm in there?
76-914
QUOTE(Valy @ Dec 21 2016, 04:00 AM) *

You don't need to remove the 6 allen screws (actually don't even try).
Remove the horn button in the center and there is a big nut behind it that holds the wheel. Then there are 4 screws that hold the wipers and signaling switches.
Please make sure you notice the small copper tab that comes loose with one of the screws. You will need it to ground the switches and many people loose it in the process.

Correctomundo. I removed that same style steering wheel Saturday and replaced it with a stock wheel. Guess I'll need to change my avatar now. dry.gif
seanpaulmc
I can't believe I'm dredging up my own 5 year old thread. And I still haven't gotten this done. What have I been doing?!

Lately I've been trying to work on the steering column - replace the wiper switch at last, add the lead for the electric washer pump, rekey the ignition lock, and put in a new ignition switch. None of it has gone smoothly.

Regarding this wiper switch...
I bought the one @Valy referenced in this thread:

wiper switch differences

My question is about this copper/brass tab in the corner. My original damaged switch I'm removing from the car does not have it so I have nothing to go on. This replacement switch from CIP looks to have all the bits and pieces but is not of the same quality - this z-shaped copper tab is not permanently installed and will not stay put whatsoever.

When installed, is this z-shaped tab supposed to remain in contact with the inside copper leaf with the pad on it? Or, how should it be set up? I'm trying to determine how much bending, grinding, and cutting I need to do to get this z-shaped tab installed so it will stay in place.

Has anyone already solved this issue for this part?

Click to view attachment

It's been years since I purchased this replacement switch. I'm trying to determine if ti is worth pursuing making it work or finding a better solution.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thank you!

914Sixer
Put a piece of scotch tape on it. OE ones came that way.
seanpaulmc
Well after a considerable amount of work to fit this aftermarket wiper switch to the OEM turn signal switch I may almost have it. Before fitting it to the car I have a clarification question for the team about this brass tab.

Is this brass tab supposed to ground to the steering column itself?
I assume it should and I want to avoid taping over it completely when installing so that it will ground.

Click to view attachment

Hope this works.

Thanks,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.