Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NS New products, stainless steel brake reservoir straps, Coil straps, 1mm alignment shims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
bdstone914
I am going to have 25 each made up of :

1. The coil strap that mounts the coil on the fan shroud which prevents the cylinder tine from cracking. Mild steel can either powder coat in satin black or zinc plate them in yellow zinc. $15

2. Stainless steel brake reservoir straps. Engman used to make them. They can be zinc plated yellow like the originals or left bare. Either way they will not rust like the originals. $15

3. 1 mm thick alignment shims. 1mm will allow finer alignment adjustment. Factory shims are 2, 3 , and 4mm. Will plate them in yellow zinc. $6. I have a good supply of the factory 2 mm and 4 mm shims for $6 each.

Parts should be ready about the first of January.

Any interest?
mb911
I would probably be interested in some shims and maybe a coil bracket if it would work for a 6?
sixaddict
Bruce
I would take a reservoir strap
Terry

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 23 2016, 07:24 AM) *

I am going to have 25 each made up of :

1. The coil strap that mounts the coil on the fan shroud which prevents the cylinder tine from cracking. Mild steel can either powder coat in satin black or zinc plate them in yellow zinc. $15

2. Stainless steel brake reservoir straps. Engman used to make them. They can be zinc plated yellow like the originals or left bare. Either way they will not rust like the originals. $15

3. 1 mm thick alignment shims. 1mm will allow finer alignment adjustment. Factory shims are 2, 3 , and 4mm. Will plate them in yellow zinc. $6. I have a good supply of the factory 2 mm and 4 mm shims for $6 each.

Parts should be ready about the first of January.

Any interest?

mepstein
I'll take a couple brake resevoir straps and a couple 1 mm shims. Thanks, Mark
* I also need some early torsion bar adjusting bolts if you have some in your stash.
914Next
Bruce thanks for doing this. One question. Is it possible that some reservoir straps were zinc plated and some were black? I have no reason to believe my strap is not original but it looks like it was black. It is the one part of my car that has rusted (I'm sure from brake fluid) so much of the finish is now gone but clearly looks to have been black painted or powder coated?
mepstein
QUOTE(914Next @ Dec 23 2016, 11:40 AM) *

Bruce thanks for doing this. One question. Is it possible that some reservoir straps were zinc plated and some were black? I have no reason to believe my strap is not original but it looks like it was black. It is the one part of my car that has rusted (I'm sure from brake fluid) so much of the finish is now gone but clearly looks to have been black painted or powder coated?

I'm betting someone went in there and touched it up with black spray paint during a brake service. I don't think the originals lasted long once brake fluid and a little moisture did its work.
80cap
I would like some shims Please!
Brian
bdstone914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 23 2016, 09:41 AM) *

I would probably be interested in some shims and maybe a coil bracket if it would work for a 6?

Shims are the same but the coil bracket is different.

Bruce
bdstone914
* I also need some early torsion bar adjusting bolts if you have some in your stash.
[/quote]

Like these ? Plated or plain ?

Bruce
mepstein
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Dec 23 2016, 01:04 PM' post='2436805']
[/quote]

Like these ? Plated or plain ?

Bruce
[/quote]
I'll take a set of each please.
FourteenFour
Hi Bruce,
I'd be interested in the stainless strap.
Andrew

BillC
Hi Bruce,

I'd love to get a coil strap and a reservoir strap. I would prefer both be yellow-zinc plated, but powder coated or plain would be okay if that's what gets made.

Thanks!
bdstone914
Thanks to all that have replied. I am getting 50 of the brake reservoir straps. 25 are going to 914 Rubber and I am keeping 25.

25 of the shims and getting them quoted in 2 and 4mm thickness.

I think there are two sizes of coils. Will look at a rubber sleeve to go around the coil and include hardware.

May do half an half between plating and powder coat. Might add a dollar or two in cost.

Ordering SS hardware for the reservoir straps.

Bruce
sb914
I'll take 1 break reservoir strap
Blue6
Bruce, I'd also like a reservoir strap, zinc plated. Thank you..
mlindner
Bruce, I'll take four of the 1mm shims. Thanks, mark
rmdinmd
I would like a zinc coated reservoir strap. smile.gif let me know when and how to pay. thx
ahycaramba
I'm also interested in torsion bar adjusting bolts if you have anymore. please let me know how much and where to send payment.

Thanks Al
dlkawashima
QUOTE(914Next @ Dec 23 2016, 08:40 AM) *

Steve, I also have a '73 that I believe was made within a few months of yours (mine is a June '73 build) and the one on my car is black.

Click to view attachment
914Next
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 24 2016, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Dec 23 2016, 08:40 AM) *

Steve, I also have a '73 that I believe was made within a few months of yours (mine is a June '73 build) and the one on my car is black.

Click to view attachment

Thanks Dave. Mine was in worse condition but it does look like like it was like yours. Maybe I'll put a post on the originality section and see if others can weigh in on this.
db9146
Bruce,

I'll take a zinc plated reservoir strap, a pair of the zinc plated torsion adjusters, and a pair of the 1MM adjusting shims, please!!

Dee
napasteve
Bruce,

Please put me down for one reservoir strap.

Before this thread, I had never noticed how corroded mine was.

Click to view attachment

Thx, Steve
87m491
Question on folks reservoir straps. Just redid my brakes and remounted the unit. As clearly seen in this picture, there is a shoulder built into the reservoir that most normal people would suppose is to sit flush with the top of the retaining strap as well as the fender mounted frame.

Mine, like this one, sits about a quarter inch below. Being that the reservoir (mine only?) is slightly "graduated", not square top to bottom, this really doesn't secure the unit all that well. My strap mounting tabs will not come close to sitting flush against the speed nuts when tightened.

Assuming the straps don't shrink, do these reservoirs swell? I'd like a new strap but assuming it would not correct my current fitment issues.

QUOTE(napasteve @ Dec 25 2016, 03:43 PM) *

Bruce,

Please put me down for one reservoir strap.

Before this thread, I had never noticed how corroded mine was.

Click to view attachment

Thx, Steve

bdstone914
Assuming the straps don't shrink, do these reservoirs swell? I'd like a new strap but assuming it would not correct my current fitment issue.

The picture shows it mounted correctly. No, the reservoirs don't swell and the strap's don't shrink. I tried to fit the band on the larger area too as it looked correct.
Bruce
87m491
Maybe 70's quality control! Previous picture in thread looks closer to ideal. I can't get my strap, to contact the speed nut on either side. My gap is about twice yours and I can lift the reservoir out by hand when "installed".
Comparing the pix I am not thinking maybe playing with the fender mounted "ears' is the way to go since there is little reason for the reservoir shoulder if not for a fitment aid. Mine on the white car.
IPB Image

IPB Image
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 28 2016, 08:12 AM) *

Assuming the straps don't shrink, do these reservoirs swell? I'd like a new strap but assuming it would not correct my current fitment issue.

The picture shows it mounted correctly. No, the reservoirs don't swell and the strap's don't shrink. I tried to fit the band on the larger area too as it looked correct.
Bruce
Cal

I believe the black straps were original.....at least on '73 and later cars. Here are a couple of low mileage cars (including mine) that have the black straps.

914Sixer
I think the straps were a mixed bag. My early 75 has a plated one. Late cars were known to have what was left on the shelf.
914Next
QUOTE(Cal @ Dec 28 2016, 05:12 PM) *

I believe the black straps were original.....at least on '73 and later cars. Here are a couple of low mileage cars (including mine) that have the black straps.

I'm thinking that you are correct Cal. Mine also has the strap like is in the pics you provided....except mine had much more of the black paint worn off.

With that said, we shouldn't highjack this thread. Might be good to start one in the originality section?

Steve
gandalf_025
Nice to see plated parts without the insane prices
others seem to be charging.. Thanks for doing this..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.