Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauges @ ashtray location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Yoei66
I'm thinking of mounting two 2 1/16" VDO gauges for oil temp & oil psi in my 914. I think I saw a picture earlier this month, where someone had mounted two gauges this size in the ashtray location. Has anyone out there mounted @ the ashtray location? What mounting bracket did you use? Could you post a pic?

Thanks & stay stoked
URY914
I've seen it done and it looks good.
But sorry, no picture,

Paul
GaroldShaffer
I like this look better myself, sold here by morphenspectra Might be a other option for ya smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
nuther angle smile.gif

Demick
I've got that. Here's a pic. Not as shiny in real life as it looks in the picture. It's just a flat piece of textured ABS plastic. The plastic is attached to a right angle piece of metal that attaches in the ashtray location using the same two screws as the ashtray bracket.

Demick
lapuwali
Yes, but also no picture. I made a bracket. You need to either cut into the dash below the ashtray, or you need to make a box that sticks out enough so the backs of the gauges clear the dash, which puts the faces more or less flush with the padded part of the dash. If you cut, then you only need to make a flat plate with two 2" holes in it for the gauges, and all of the wiring hides in the dash nicely.

If you have a combo gauge with a big brake light on top, you can get the module that fits there for oil temp as used on some 914s from the factory on Ebay for about the same price as a new VDO gauge. Senders are also commonly available to match. The 911 oil temp gauge will also fit, all of the modules are the same physically. Some 911 oil temp gauges have numbers, though the numbers would be sideways if used in the 914 combo gauge, as the 911 has them east/west instead of north/south. You could put oil temp in the combo gauge and use the ashtray mount for oil pressure and volts, or oil pressure and CHT. Cruise over to Westach and you can even get dual 2" gauges with all sorts of combinations.
Pompano Beach 914V8
Don't you find it strange, when you stop to think about it, that cars actually had ashtrays in them?
machina
ya,

dual EGT/CHT
Yoei66
What I find even stranger, is the proximity of the 914 ashtray to the fuel tank ohmy.gif
dheinz
Here's mine.
tracks914
QUOTE (Pompano Beach 914V8 @ Apr 27 2005, 02:00 PM)
Don't you find it strange, when you stop to think about it, that cars actually had ashtrays in them?

Ashtrays were for rainy days with the top on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.