Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Discovered some rust, need some advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1973Porsche
So I decided to remove my interior to clean up the wiring. However when I removed my interior I discovered rust. I'm pretty sure I need an entire fooor pan. Pictures are below. What are the thoughts on it? I'm sure there's more waiting to be discovered once I clean. I don't know if I should keep or sell at this point.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Tom_T
Restoration Design (vendor on here) makes good repros of all the pans & cross-members, etc. that you'll need.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/SFNT

Good Luck!

beerchug.gif santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
tygaboy
Get all the tar off the floor before you panic. A lot of that looks like it may be surface rust that won't necessitate replacing. A wire wheel is your friend.
Best of luck and keep the pics coming!
BeatNavy
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 23 2016, 07:42 PM) *

Get all the tar off the floor before you panic. A lot of that looks like it may be surface rust that won't necessitate replacing. A wire wheel is your friend.
Best of luck and keep the pics coming!

agree.gif You may be able to get away with replacing small sections rather than the whole pan. Replacing the whole pan is not a trivial effort. Depends on what your goals are, and how bad the rot really is...
sixnotfour

agree.gif
mepstein
Grab a multi tool and the tar will come off quickly. A knotted wire wheel will get the rust off. (Wear eye protection) Then you can see what you have. Don't panic! Almost every 914 needs some rust repair in the floors and often times other areas. As the guys above said, you might not need replacement pans and you can get the above tools at harbor freight for $30-40. When you get the tar up post the result and we'll figure out the next step.
euro911
agree.gif with what's already been said above.
sixaddict
Pretty sound advice so far but here is my two cents

A heat gun helps with removing tar.......heat .....scrape...fun project but then you will have clear picture of damage. And pull remainder of carpet from longs...
Second have a shop experienced with 914 repairs to do your metal work as fixing it wrong will detract from your cars value. Too many body shops will tell you they can handle it but will not. That is assuming you are not doing it yourself. Decide if cost to repair is within your budget.
Good luck
jmitro
agree with advice above. Based on the photos, I wouldn't be surprised if your rust repair involves more than the floorpan. But you will only know by removing tar pads and vacuuming up the debris
McMark
Welcome to the slippery slope. agree.gif remove all the tar, the side carpets and the back sound pad to see what's really there.
1973Porsche
Removed most of the tar. Heat gun made it so much easier but I completely forgot to wear a mask. Rust is bad I think. I'm going to need a lot. Car will have to be shelved for awhile while I complete college and save up money for parts and what not. I really want to do all the work myself so I guess I'll be learning to weld. Here's some more pictures.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
rjames
Before you commit, check the rest of the car for additional rust issues.
How do the rocker panels look? The hell hole(below the battery tray) and rear suspension ears?
Amphicar770
Before you start learning to weld on your car, take a class or workshop at the local vo-tech or similar. It will save you a lot of time and money in the end.

Also, do not use flux core welder (assuming you are doing MIG). Your welds will be crap without gas.
jmitro
agree.gif with both of the above posts. car may not be worth your time and effort to save unless you just want a long term project. My project looked the same as yours. it's taken 15 months to get all the sheetmetal replaced (doing it myself)
mb911
My project is going on a year but it only when I have a few minutes here and there. I enjoy the long game so it works perfect for me.

That's all savable but you need time.
slotty008
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 27 2016, 09:10 PM) *

My project is going on a year but it only when I have a few minutes here and there. I enjoy the long game so it works perfect for me.

That's all savable but you need time.

A lot of time and patience. Check out the firewall and the centre tunnel for rust . I had a lot of it. Now finally fixed after 11 months of work. And still 2 full pages of repairs to do . For the moment. But that's part of the fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.