Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine teardown
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
ohmy.gif Holey freaking shit! Man, I knew my little motor was tired--but damn! The following pics are of my daily driven motor---I ran the piss outta it, but kept the maintenance up really well--but I do not think I am even going to reuse the case!

Damn glad I have two other cases to pick from, as well as another bitchin crank and rod combo, ready to drop in---
jwalters
blink.gif Don't let the pic fool you--when you scratch your fingernail across the grain, it is like useing a womans nail file board on them! wacko.gif
jwalters
The split bearing--well into the copper-- wacko.gif
jwalters
Just one short pass on the case bottom--- wacko.gif
jwalters
blink.gif PHUCKADUCK
jwalters
blink.gif The crank bearing had six (6) shims!!! The face of the bearing is ground down to the sharpness of a gillette razor blade-- wacko.gif
jwalters
blink.gif Scratched, scored, and pitted-- wacko.gif
jwalters
dry.gif Well at least the valves are not recessed............a good cleanup should bring these back to life--I hope.. dry.gif
jwalters
huh.gif Piston undersides--only one is stock--the others have the crown undersides ground out to varying degrees, gonna take these in to work and weigh em when I getem clean--
jwalters
huh.gif What was really surprising to me is that all the rings on all the pistons were sprung out and not stuck in the grooves---very, very, very little blowby on the pistons---weird--
jwalters
dry.gif Based on what I have discovered thus far--I think all I will reuse is the P/C and the heads---I do not want to trust anything else, incl the case itself---well, at least it never left me stranded, and I am still amazed at how well it was running.. wacko.gif

This is proof of the stoutness of the overall design----I am a believer---
Allan
What is wrong with the case? I didn't see anything that a good cleaning wouldn't cure.
jwalters
dry.gif The thrust surfaces are worn to nothingness---and the #2 bearing shows signs of pounding in the saddle----two of the shims were worn past the bearing face and cut themselves into the case---way too much work when I have two other good ones--shame tho, I was hoping to reuse most all of the original motor----
jwalters
dry.gif This really phuckin sucks---I do not think I will be able to finish Black Sabbath and get her on the road before I lose my job----- sad.gif I am all but done with the chassis sad.gif
Bleyseng
looks like you never ever changed the oil, just added it to top it off.
jwalters
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Apr 27 2005, 08:01 PM)
looks like you never ever changed the oil, just added it to top it off.

huh.gif ------------
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.