Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Excellence 914 article
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
Just getting around to reading my newest Excellence magazine. There's an article about a really nice survivor '76 914 belonging to a Dave Cheek- wondered if he lurks around here...
dcheek
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Dec 25 2016, 06:45 PM) *

Just getting around to reading my newest Excellence magazine. There's an article about a really nice survivor '76 914 belonging to a Dave Cheek- wondered if he lurks around here...

He has, and always will continue to lurk around here. Thanks.

Dave
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(dcheek @ Dec 26 2016, 12:49 AM) *

Dave

A really well written article by Dom Miliano about a GREAT 914.

I gotta give you some heavy props for such a sanitary car. Such a good life it's had with you ~

Thanks for making us proud of YOU !
dcheek
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Dec 25 2016, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(dcheek @ Dec 26 2016, 12:49 AM) *

Dave

A really well written article by Dom Miliano about a GREAT 914.

I gotta give you some heavy props for such a sanitary car. Such a good life it's had with you ~

Thanks for making us proud of YOU !

Thanks for the kind words.
Dom and his "assistant" wife Pat spent 4 hours photographing my car. He is a true genius. Add to that the interview, and we pretty much spent the whole day in preparation for the article. I can't thank him enough for such a great job. It has really reinvigorated my enthusiasm for my 914 as well as all 914's. I also have to thank all the experts on World who have helped me with maintenance over the years. Without this forum it would be difficult to keep a 40 year old car running like it should.

Dave
Big Len
Congrats Dave. Can someone post pics of the article?
SKL1
I love seeing another original owner too! But I do have you beat by 5 years wink.gif

(have to admit I'd be tempted to backdate a big bumper car if I had one, but definitely NOT that one!! Love the originality!)
orthobiz
I used to see Dave's car at the NNJR Porsche Club meets back in the 80's. What a beautiful car it was then, and I know it's still great. What you California people may not understand is how quickly these cars rusted out even then! and Dave's pristine example was an inspiration. I had a nice black one but I had to drive it every day. The survivors are the ones that have lower mileage.

Anyway, I tried to buy his car back when the 914 bug bit me again, and he graciously said "no" and told me he had every car he ever owned. So no go! And there's a phrase that goes with it, something like "Cheek Keeps."

He's a true 914 enthusiast, he communicated with me earlier this year when I bought (and overpaid for) a 1971 survivor.

Too bad I let my Excellence subscription lapse!!

Best to you, Dave.

Paul
914Next
Congrats Dave! Need to find a copy of this article!
Tom_T
first.gif Congratz Dave!

FYI for those who don't know, Dave had graciously supplied reference pix of his 914 a few years back in the O&H Forum's "The few, the rare..." nailed topic. It's well worth a look, even if you've read the article.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dcheek
Once again thanks for all the kind words. For those that don't subscribe here are some pictures of the article. They really don't do justice to the photography by Dom Miliano or the print quality of Excellence. It has always been a dream of mine to be featured in, what I consider, the "Pebble Beach" of Porsche magazines.
Dave
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
pete000
Nice to see the 914 getting some press !
dcheek
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 26 2016, 02:45 PM) *

Nice to see the 914 getting some press !

I've also noticed, since the meteoritic rise of 914-6's, that we a commanding more respect at both general an Porsche specific car shows.

Dave
Cairo94507
Congratulations Dave. I too consider Excellence to be the Pebble Beach of Porsche magazines. It is my hope that one day my Six might get a mention in there - when it gets finished.
Krieger
Congratulations Dave. Your car is beautiful!
dcheek
Some have asked when and where they can obtain the February issue of Excellence. It is on the newsstand now. I know Barnes & Nobel has it.

Dave
napasteve
Great article, great car Dave. It's a real time capsule and I admire how you have cared for it. When I saw this thread, I went to the local bookstore and got the Excellence issue.

The article reminds me of my first 914 (I'm only on my second now) which was a silver '76 that I bought in 1979. I, like Dave in his first year of ownership, just drove the hell out of it. It was dependable and fun; what else could you want? Sadly, I had to sell that car in 1986 as we bought a property with 4wd access.Click to view attachment
SchwarzHorse
I agree with the featured car's owner D. Cheek: the 4-lug Mahle cast-alloys do look better on the 914 than the 4-lug Fuchs forged-alloys. pray.gif
dcheek
QUOTE(SchwarzHorse @ Dec 28 2016, 02:14 PM) *

I agree with the featured car's owner D. Cheek: the 4-lug Mahle cast-alloys do look better on the 914 than the 4-lug Fuchs forged-alloys. pray.gif

And, I'm probably the only 914 owner on the planet that loves the BUB's (But Ugly Bumpers). Keeping them fresh for 40 years has been a challenge though.

Dave
kas750
Stunning car! beerchug.gif
johannes
QUOTE(dcheek @ Dec 29 2016, 05:26 AM) *

QUOTE(SchwarzHorse @ Dec 28 2016, 02:14 PM) *

And, I'm probably the only 914 owner on the planet that loves the BUB's (But Ugly Bumpers). Keeping them fresh for 40 years has been a challenge though.

Dave

BUB's age better than SBB's (small beautifull bumpers)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.