Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 3.6 liter race car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I was down at Jerry Woods Enterprises today looking at my race car. The engine mock up is done and I reviewed budget for things I want. Moving slowly but things are moving. I even looked at the power steering unit that Rich Walton of Smart Racing hopes to use in our car. We will be a test mule. He's hoping to market it to others as a lower cost alternative to the full blown $3500 rack they normally use.

I'm all for lower cost.... laugh.gif but I told Rich that my wife's only request through the car build was for power steering, so something will have to work smash.gif

Here's a few picks of the car...after Rich gets done with more mock ups it comes all apart again and goes back to Brad and Scott for chassis tweaking, suspension set up and final paint, then back to Rich for the final engine / tranny placement.

Here's shots of the car....I've got $25K in cash into it...and I'll be putting out alot more over the next 3 to 4 months to finish it.

I keep telling myself it's going to be worth it.... mueba.gif

Here's the car...

Bill P.
nine14cats
here's the 3.6 liter 993 motor and 915 gear box.

nine14cats
engine and tranny with pic this time...
nine14cats
915 WEVO! smilie_pokal.gif
nine14cats
front of the car...
brant
I love that tranny shot.
Nice!!!

way to go Bill!!!

brant
ppickerell
Goddamit Bill, when and if my car gets done I am gonna have to get slapped around by you on the track with my anemic 4 banger? What's the point? smilie_pokal.gif I will be paying a visit to JWE real soon and I will tell them that you sent me.
Mueller
it looks so different than the last time I saw that car.....

I've got your front needle bearings sitting on my desk here at work, I'll give them to Brad next time I see him which should be this or next week.....
Andyrew
wow....

drooley.gif

Whats your plans for suspension?

power steering will be interesting... (I havent found the need for power steering... above 2 mph it feels like power steering...)

wow..

J P Stein
I like this ratty lookin' sumbitch lots better than that V8 thingy. laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
Um.. not that I have a clue or anything... but they need to flip the intake.

Brad Roberts
Oh.. FYI.. after some more investigation on my part: I found power steering stuff for Baja 1000 cars (with T4's in them) for under 1000$ Complete kits. The dirt track crowd has even cheaper components.

B
siverson
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 27 2005, 04:33 PM)
Um.. not that I have a clue or anything... but they need to flip the intake.

Why? Looks like it fits to me.
nine14cats
Andrew,

Mueller Design Works full roller suspension, Brad and Scott have newly rebuilt JRZ 4 pot brakes and 2 way adjustable shocks from Dave Evans' car. Smart Racing bar in front, Tarrett Engineering prototype bar in the back.

The suspension pick ups on the car have been cut and raised 2 inches in the body.

The body is a Sheridan narrow body.

The reason for the power steering is that we have 12 inch slicks on 16x10 rims in the garage. My wife Doris had a hard enough time turning quickly at the auto-x's with the 9.2 inch canti slicks we used last year on the old car.

Besides...I promised her power steering! laugh.gif

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
I havent seen it up close, but I'm betting that the down tube from the main hoop is *real* close to the stock filter housing. I personally have found the throttle linkage easier to deal with coming from the other direction.

The engine lid is actually sitting on the upper intake/air cleaner housing.

B
Brad Roberts
laugh.gif laugh.gif Scratch all of that.. I forgot.. I dont have to deal with any of the engine stuff laugh.gif laugh.gif

B
nine14cats
I have a different intake for the air box that fits under the stock grill. Just need to adjust the intake runner down a little and put it on. Rich hasn't got to it yet.

I'm guessing from what I have been talking with Rich Walton athat the power steering will come in somewhere between $1K to $4K depending upon what I ultimately decide on both in construction and cost.

I am having all the linkage brackets modified to accept stock cables. I don't want to have custom cables made up if possible.

Bill P.
nine14cats
Hey JP,

For some reason I knew you would like this one better than the V8!....Yep...this car looks more like a 914Club car! laugh.gif

Bill P.
neo914-6
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Apr 27 2005, 05:04 PM)
I'm guessing from what I have been talking with Rich Walton athat the power steering will come in somewhere between $1K to $4K depending upon what I ultimately decide on both in construction and cost.

Bill P.

Sweet! I may be able to budget in ps! Does Rich need a street test car? biggrin.gif

Your car is coming along nicely! aktion035.gif
Brad Roberts
Need to get Bill these pics anyway..

B
Brad Roberts
sdfgsdf
nine14cats
Hi Felix,

I'm the first car Smart Racing is trying to do an alternative power steering unit with. They have the $3300 unit in stock that has gone on several cars they have running, but once you factor in another $1250 in labor to get it to fit, you have power steering that cost the same as a really nice entire 914!

I may still go that way, but Rich is trying to develop something that he can put in the Smart Catalog. He said we will be the test mule, to we'll see how it goes.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
wefwe
Brad Roberts
Felix,

www.colemanracing.com They have complete power racks for 591.00 The whole kit with pump/brackets and everything is under 1200.00 Fab work is required, and nobody can guess how much that it will take, but you have a SBC in the back should make some of the engine fab easier. The fab work is getting a different rack into the 914 without screwing up the stock gas tank area.

B
Brad Roberts
Wing me..

TimT
Are you going to use an electric pump for the power steering? or mount a pump on the engine?

Our GT3RS has electric power steering, tres cool

Brad Roberts
Not sure if the plan changed.. but the idea was to leave the stock 993 pump on the engine and use it.

B
Aaron Cox
how many gallons of oil is this beast going to have circulating in the dry sump and cooler systems?
Brad Roberts
Typically.. 4.5-5 gallons. If I had my way.. we would run cheap oil and change it after EVERY event.

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 27 2005, 07:02 PM)
Typically.. 4.5-5 gallons. If I had my way.. we would run cheap oil and change it after EVERY event.

B

-12 or -16 lines?

thats a ton of oil. how big is the tank upfront?
nebreitling
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 27 2005, 06:02 PM)

yup. i've met some guys who run the cheapest shit they can find through their engine, and just change it all the damn time. those who do it seem to swear by it.
Brad Roberts
-20 on the feed line (suction side) ..not sure what they decided on the rest. I personally would have went with -16.

The 3.6 engine moves a lot of oil at high rpm.

The tank is a 5 gallon tank (if I recall correctly) you dont fill them up.

B
Brad Roberts
yup. i've met some guys who run the cheapest shit they can find through their engine, and just change it all the damn time. those who do it seem to swear by it.

The WoO (World of Outlaws) sprint cars started changing the oil after EVERY session a few years back and ended up getting 2-3 more races out of their engines for NO other reason. No matter what you do, the filter will not catch everything.. so to get it out... change the oil...

B
neo914-6
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 27 2005, 05:45 PM)
Felix,

www.colemanracing.com They have complete power racks for 591.00 The whole kit with pump/brackets and everything is under 1200.00 Fab work is required, and nobody can guess how much that it will take, but you have a SBC in the back should make some of the engine fab easier. The fab work is getting a different rack into the 914 without screwing up the stock gas tank area.

B

Looks like more choices biggrin.gif I want PS for the Neo914, not the V8. PS is "modern" and I still have 8" wheels in the front to steer. It's lower on my priority right now. I've still got multiple body and drivetrain projects to complete...
Brad Roberts
Felix,

I'm witcha.. I didnt know you had "multiple" projects going. Consider my offer in the other thread. I have *some* time right now... and I need to get a AutoX track car built.

B
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Apr 27 2005, 05:17 PM)
.Yep...this car looks more like a 914Club car! laugh.gif

I dunno about that... I mean, it isn't even on jackstands!!

--DD
brant
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 27 2005, 07:16 PM)

The WoO (World of Outlaws) sprint cars started changing the oil after EVERY session a few years back and ended up getting 2-3 more races out of their engines for NO other reason. No matter what you do, the filter will not catch everything.. so to get it out... change the oil...

B

We had a similar experience with a type 4 race motor in our PCA club racing car.

We had always changed the 11-ish quart (front cooler, accusump, twin filters) oil every event.

Then one season we got a new motor and decided since we were running mobil 1 that we would start changing every other event.

That was the shortest-lifed motor we had out of about 4.
When it came apart it had worn more in half the time then any of the others. Builder was even surprised and asked us if we stopped changing the oil.

When we told him we had gone to an every other event schedule we got reprimanded.

On the next motor we went back to 11quarts of mobile 1 each weekend. Motor last 2 years and was still tight after that time.

brant
GTeener
clap.gif Yeay Bill!

Nice to see your new racer is progressing smile.gif
ppickerell
SCCA rules allow for a trunk mounted kegger? Will this be IV or orally delivered?
neo914-6
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Apr 28 2005, 01:59 PM)
SCCA rules allow for a trunk mounted kegger? Will this be IV or orally delivered?

chairfall.gif
doubles as a fire suppression...
nine14cats
I'm thinking the kegger should be dash mounted with quick disconnects...can be rolled around in line or in the trailer.... beer.gif

Bill P. happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.