Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Syncos
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
My tranny was having the usual shifting problems going into 1st and 2nd. I purchased 2 new syncro and a gasket kit.
Upon tearing down the tranny I found the usual groove in the 2nd gear syncro and a chattered groove in the first gear synro. Either way, both are bad and will be changed.
I have not had a single grind going into 3rd gear or up but did notice a slight groove forming in the 3rd gear syncro.
My question, they syncros appear to be symetrical and are "rough" on both side, so can I take the 3rd gear syncro and flip it over in order to gain a little more life out of it?
Picture of 1st and 2nd syncros.
tracks914
3rd
Bleyseng
I don't think soo....and for $45 its not worth pulling it apart later on.
bondo
Yup, you can flip them, according to red-beard's article. I think it may be in the factory manual too. Dunno if I'd do it if they were real bad, but I bet a slight groove is fine.
tracks914
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Apr 27 2005, 04:58 PM)
I don't think soo....and for $45 its not worth pulling it apart later on.

Where do you find $45 syncros?
Best I could do was $80 US +++.
tracks914
QUOTE (bondo @ Apr 27 2005, 05:01 PM)
Yup, you can flip them, according to red-beard's article. I think it may be in the factory manual too. Dunno if I'd do it if they were real bad, but I bet a slight groove is fine.

Where is Red Beards Article?
TimT
Ive been known to flip a synchro here and there
tracks914
Tim:
From what you can see on the 3rd gear syncro, it does not grind and shifts great, would you flip it? Is it normal wear or getting grooved too much?
Tx
TimT
Lets just say that the synchro pictured looks nicer than the ones I put into my 911's box ohmy.gif
tracks914
That doesn't mean that it worked well though does it. laugh.gif
Maybe I'll just leave that one alone and put it all back together.
tracks914
I found Red-Beard's article.
Great stuff, I wish I had read it before, now I will have to take my gear set apart again and flip the 3rd gear syncro. headbang.gif
901 Tranny Rebuild
Red-Beard
It is in the factory manual. If the syncho's are too worn, they should be discarded. If they do not need to be replaced, they should be reversed to allow the unused side be exposed.

James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.