Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On the Line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
Here is a scan of an original Polaroid photo of the factory line in 1970. I had my first 914 in 71. Note the 911 in the line of 914-6's on the engine line.

Note that the guy does not have an I-phone in his hand - a rack of metric sockets most likely....

Cheers
Krieger
That looks like the only 914! It must be a 914/6 if it's in with the 911s. I think Hans in the white coat and clipboard in hand is on the floor making sure this oddball car gets done right! Cool photo.
Rand
This is reminiscent of another post you would like from not long ago. Very cool. Maybe the other link will come across this thread. Somebody share it! ...
rick 918-S
Just have to wonder if that car survived and is in the vin. Data base.
mb911
Very cool and a Euro delivery as well?
boxsterfan
Wow!! That is super cool.
11tenths
Hans to Franz: "Motore im mittle, nichs hinter!"
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(11tenths @ Dec 27 2016, 07:09 AM) *

Hans to Franz: "Motore im mittle, nichs hinter!"

laugh.gif well, do you think, that there were some workers from Italy or Portugal working in Zuffenhausen that time?

Apart from the difficult to learn German language, this is indeed another nice picture from the assembly line in the early 1970s. Thanks for sharing it!

11tenths
OK, you got me. In my defense, I did start out with Alfas long before Porsches...

rolleyes.gif

Cheers- Harry
Unobtanium-inc
Very cool, you could never get away with taking this pic now.
Elliot Cannon
They don't like you taking pictures in the factory because in Germany it is customary to ask a person first for permission to take their picture. If you stopped everyone to ask if you could take their picture, it would slow things down. "Hey, drop the wrench, turn around and smile for the tourists"! biggrin.gif
rgalla9146
All 914 bodies were built and trimmed by Karmann. The 914 6 trimmed bodies were delivered to Porsche for installation of drivetrain.
That is a Euro 914 6 on the Porsche 911 assembly line.
The foil (914 6 only) tire pressure sticker hasn't been installed yet.
pete000
Cool Picture, thanks for sharing !
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 27 2016, 07:09 PM) *

They don't like you taking pictures in the factory because in Germany it is customary to ask a person first for permission to take their picture. If you stopped everyone to ask if you could take their picture, it would slow things down. "Hey, drop the wrench, turn around and smile for the tourists"! biggrin.gif

Bear in mind that this picture was made in 1970! I think it was more at that time more a problem for the company to take pictures within the plant. We call it still "Werksspionage" (industrial espionage). That is why cameras or cell phones are not allowed in nearly every plant still today.

However, these kind of photos are very rare and often the scources are workers of those plants.
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(11tenths @ Dec 27 2016, 05:39 PM) *

OK, you got me. In my defense, I did start out with Alfas long before Porsches...

rolleyes.gif

Cheers- Harry

Never mind! From my point of view it looks more like a problem of "google translator" shades.gif

ConeDodger
Very cool! Thanks for sharing! biggrin.gif
SKL1
Great picture! We did the factory tour in the spring of '82 and they all loved to have their picture taken. Even then, a lot of the workers did not look German to me...
Wish I could find some of those photos! But there obviously wouldn't be any 914 content!
My 914
Very nice picture. I also agree with the post that the guy in the foreground could easily be looking at his cellphone if it wasn't for the fact that it was 45 years ago!
My 914
Very nice picture. I also agree with the post that the guy in the foreground could easily be looking at his cellphone if it wasn't for the fact that it was 45 years ago!
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Dec 28 2016, 03:07 AM) *

Great picture! We did the factory tour in the spring of '82 and they all loved to have their picture taken. Even then, a lot of the workers did not look German to me...
Wish I could find some of those photos! But there obviously wouldn't be any 914 content!

Maybe in the early 80s it was allowed to take some pictures. During the late 80s and the later on Volkswagen did not allowed any cameras within the plant in Wolfsburg. It was the same at Porsche and other car producers.

The 914-6 was only produced there in Zuffenhausen until 1972.

2014 I was in the Karmann plant in Osnabrück. Some presses of that 914/Karmann Ghia time were still in use they told us, but no tool has survived. VW gave the order to wreck erverything after 10-15 years.
bretth
If only one could step into this photo and take a look around, maybe buy some parts from the part bins at 1970 prices too.

Brett
ottox914
Super cool pic! Thanks for the share. Neat to see the way it was.
oldie914
I made a factory tour in 1971 and made pictures of the assembly line. You walked along the line and stood next to the workers. I saw a 914/6 on the line among the 911's but cannot find any pictures of it. Don't know why I didn't take a picture because I drove a 914/6 at the time. I did get a picture of a 914/6 motor in the engine assembly area though.
The 914/6 bodies were built by Karmann along with some 911's, painted and shipped to Zuffenhausen for final assembly. I worked for the US Army Post Engineers in Zuffenhausen in 1971 and often saw truckloads of Porsche bodies on the way to the factory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.