Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: tool to use on porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
Well I'm needing to buy yet another OHM meter

I really only use them for continuity, OHMs, and Amperage

I bought a better one (not harbor freight) but have had bad luck with it also

Does anyone have a brand recommendation or personal experience of a decent OHM meter that will last more than 8 months?

just something that will survive living in a tool box and at the track and last a while
I don't need precision accuracy
durability to last in a tough environment would be nice

obviously I don't need a fluke
price is a factor too
so Ideally I would love someone's positive experience with a 20-40$ unit

thanks in advance
brant
jfort
I think I got mine at Lowes. I like digital. Also, I like to have a couple a kinds of test leads - one with "jaws" so you don't need three hands.
jd74914
I'd get a used Fluke 87. They pretty much last forever and if you get lucky you can find perfectly functional older versions for ~$50. smile.gif
zach914v8
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 27 2016, 01:57 PM) *

I'd get a used Fluke 87. They pretty much last forever and if you get lucky you can find perfectly functional older versions for ~$50. smile.gif

agree.gif

I have a fluke 88 for work I snagged off ebay for $70 and a fluke 115 for home I got at a flea market for $25. For the functions you need the 115 would be great.
draganc
DVM have been around for several decades now and there is hardly any new technology in it.
Yes, Fluke are great products but you will be just fine with a budget product like:

See this on Amazon: http://a.co/3czMIOH

Just pick whatever fits your budget with the best ratings. At $20-30 your risking very little.
Dtjaden
QUOTE(draganc @ Dec 28 2016, 09:16 AM) *

DVM have been around for several decades now and there is hardly any new technology in it.
Yes, Fluke are great products but you will be just fine with a budget product like:

See this on Amazon: http://a.co/3czMIOH

Just pick whatever fits your budget with the best ratings. At $20-30 your risking very little.

agree.gif
The low cost dvm's are all you need. I've used this type for years in my electronics contracting business. When they get too beat up I just replace them.
TheCabinetmaker
I use one of these. 6 years, no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7677-Automo...r/dp/B0002LZU7K

Click to view attachment
messix
do your self a favor and get one that has a back light.

I've used flukes for over 30 years and can vouch for the reliability.
jd74914
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 28 2016, 02:46 PM) *

agree.gif agree.gif

Having the backlight is great in engine bays, breaker boxes, etc.
Dave_Darling
We aren't making very precise measurements on our cars. The questions usually are: "Is there any voltage? Does it connect to ground?" And basically any POS multi-meter is good enough for that. A nice cheap one you can keep in the trunk of the car and don't care about it wandering off certainly is an appealing notion.

I asked my step-father (an electrical engineer) for a recommendation and wound up with a medium-range Fluke meter about 20 years ago. Still works fine, though I did have to replace the 9V battery at least once or twice.

--DD
76-914
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 28 2016, 11:46 AM) *

I've used flukes for over 30 years and can vouch for the reliability.

agree.gif Bought mine in '82 to use at work and it's still ticking. The auto ranging feature is great if you forget to switch to the correct function. Get a used one Brandt, you'll never need another one.
914forme
Fluke all the way if you can find a used one more power to you.

I started using mine back in 1989, a a computer tech. Back then we had to do things like adjust line voltages on the power supplies confused24.gif I know right. Fluke meters never failed me.
brant
well....

Santa stopped at my house last night
a special trip from Durango....

914 guys are the best!
I was the very grateful recipient of kindness!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 28 2016, 10:13 AM) *

I bought one of those on the recommendation of THE 356 engine guru in my area.
Lots of cool functions that may come in handy if needed at some point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.