Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocker error
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi all,

I had posted earlier about how a friend and I had welded in a reinforcement kit on the rockers. Our welding got overzealous and now the doors stick.
I ordered the kit from tangerine racing, and followed instructions. Basically cut piece of kit out on each side and used tools to push opening back to original. Weld metal strips underneath each door opening. Worked until car was set back down and doors are a little better but still too tight.
I think I am at the point where I am going to have to cut out the kit.
After I do that I will use tangerines kit again to stretch door openings.
From there I am looking for advice from the gurus as far as the best way to keep the rockers and door openings the same.
This is what I do know. Welded too much with too much heat. I won't make that mistake again.
I appreciate all suggestions and advice.

Thanks much,

GaryClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
rick 918-S
Take a look at this thread I think around page 3 on. I have explored the strength of mounting points for bracing the chassis. The targa bar latch mounting area is by far the strongest location for a brace mount. Specially if you already have an issue with gaps you are trying to fix. You have a complex issue at this point. Cut out what you need to be able to push the chassis back. Check all measurements twice.

http://www.914world.com/specs/bodydims.php

Do not rely on the windshield frame set of measures. Check them last. Once you have H and Y then set F. By set F I mean if the measurement is out of spec tweak the windshield frame. It moves easy. But only if H and Y are on without bracing. then check G. In your case you may have to force the chassis apart then check the spring back. At this point there is no rushing the fix.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=226585&hl=
Wew
Thanks much for the input.
Once I get the door gaps correct, what is the preferred approach so the car maintains that measurement?
Thanks again,

Gary
rick 918-S
Be sure to brace the chassis. Considering you have a stressed chassis I would increase the gaps 3mm before welding.
Wew
Thanks much! welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.