Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to remove (and reattach)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I've seen lots of "it's easy if you do it right" and "forget it I always screw them up". I haven't seen a good description of how to do it by the people wo are really good at it. (dr. evil?)

I have spares of speedo/tach/combo guages, but no spares of the 911 clock and small combo guage size. I need to be good at it by the time I get to those. smile.gif Any suggestions?

(I have 5 guages because I'm doing the getty dash thing)
markb
Very carefully. biggrin.gif Take your time & do in small increments. I've never been able to make a perfect removal, so they always look a little shabby when back together. Once you re-install them in the dash, with the rubber, you can't see how the back looks. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
yes...ut sucks..... i can do perfect removals but putting em back on is a bitch.....
Joe Bob
The 356 crowd sells a tool for it....looks like a dental pick with a leaf like tip on an angle. You slip it under and gently pry up on it like opening a tin can with a old style opener......slowly.....

Dave_Darling
The "gauge refurb" article on the Bird site talks about the process, too...

--DD
Dr. Roger
and then put it back on kinda' like a piston ring. start where the bezel is the least bent, and start working your way around slowly, not giving up where you've already got it attached.
yes it sucks.
remember to keep the order of which stuff is removed to put it back on right.
my mistake helping others.....
wilchek
I did it to my clock to fix it. It is not all that bad if you have a mini screw driver to start. Just pry it enough that you can get it loose. Don't bend the lip too far. You only need to pry half the edge and slip the rest out. When you put it back on just grin and bare it and use your finger tip to try and get the lip pushed back as much as you can and then use a big flat as wide a you have screw driver to seal it up. You will have a couple scratches which you can cover up with a sharpie in black. A little bit different black but only you will notice. Good Luck. By the way, The glass is normally clean on the inside so try not to finger it up.
736conver
A variety of narrow and wide blade screw drivers. I found once you get one started you can kind of slide it around the ring. Putting them back together you can use a wider blade to push it back in. The rubber gaskets will hide just about everything you do to the rings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.