Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to find a good 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
If I wanted to find a good running GA case 2.0 with stock (at least mostly working) fuel injection, exhaust, etc. ready to drop into my car, where would be the best place to look for one?

It seems like most of the 2.0's I see need a rebuild or are totally unknown condition. How do you find a good engine without taking a big gamble that you're going to end up with some smoking misfiring POS? How much should you expect to pay for it?

I am thinking about the 2.0 path vs. wasting all my time fixing the little things on my current (pretty gutless) 1.7, but it really only pays off if the 2.0 doesn't have any surprises and requires 10x as much work to get into the car.

6 conversion would be nice, but I just want something I can drive and not worry about for now.
Anton
What is wrong with your 1.7? A strong 1.7 should provide you with enough fun under the sun. A 2.0 will be faster, but is still asthmatic compared to the acceleration that a flat-six (> 2.0 liter) provides. On the other hand, handling and agility of a flat-four 914 is exemplary, and 1.7 or 2.0 makes little difference in this respect.

A well preserved, original 1.7 (and your car looks that way) with matching numbers, etc. is something to be proud of. Many 2.0 are misused and neglected with resulting poor state of maintenance and originality. My advice: if you realy feel the need for speed, buy a 911. Else, stick with your nice 1.7.

Converting to a 2.0 will pose you with many problems; finding all the D-jet parts with (corresponding production year) brainbox being the least of your problems. You need new heat exchangers, muffler, clutch, and preferably a side shift gear box (or shifting will remain sloppy). The wiring loom will also have to be exchanged or adapted. And so on...

Have you checked your present engine on compression, valve clearance, ignition dwell and timing, air filter, fuel pressure, and CO value at 3000 RPM (D-jet)? Ultrasonic cleaning of the injectors can also do wonders. These basic measures might provide clues to why your car is so "gutless".
Bruce Allert
I am doing the same thing right now! Rather than take a chance on an engine on Ebay that I can't go check out I'm talking to the people around home letting them know that I'm in the market & such. Have spoken to a few of the racers that know other AX racers that have taken out their good 2.0 for the 6 conv. I've been told there are plenty of them around but ya just gotta be patient & wait for them to come up or do some sleuthing. cool_shades.gif
If you know a racer in your area let him/her know or talk to your local club members. Just posting here helps too. Good luck........ beer.gif
bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.