Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct Radio for 74 Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
gcrotvik
I have been looking for a correct radio for my 74 2.0 restoration for some time now. Recently, I was able to find an NOS 74 Blaupunkt Karlsruhe radio. Unfortunately it's not a US model. Although year correct, it's not US vs ROW correct. Here's the question, from a concours judging perspective, how "incorrect" is the non US Karlsruhe radio?

Thanks for the feedback.

Greg
Tom_T
Hey Greg,

In PCA Zone 8 (Central & SoCal, So NV & AZ) we wouldn't judge on originality at all, & I think that it's the same for your PNW PCA. PCA Parade (Spokane for 2017 BTW) may & could gig you, but it's very unlikely, since winning 914s in recent years since I joined PCA in 2009 have had far more non-original &/or non-correct-for-USA on them! Look up the rules for both PNW & Parade CdE online (2017 Parade won't be out until May-ish IIRC, but 2016 is there on the website & that area typically doesn't change).

AACA & other multi-marque concours may gig you, but then that would assume that their judges would know, notice & decide to deduct for a period correct non-USA radio - according to the non-PCA judges I know.

If your 914's COA says it had the factory radio option (not common), then you'd probably want to match it to that radio/model for best post-resto valuation's sake.

That said, it's more of a personal choice for you, & if you'll want to actually pull in USA stations. I've seen some nice Blaupunkt etc. USA radios on here & evil-bay etc. recently, plus you could legitimately go with a Motorola or other of the dealer sold radios, which was the way most of our 914s were equipped - including those with 8-track or cassette deck AM-FM sets (mine had a dealer Motorola AM/FM/8-track when I bought my `73 2L form the OO in `75).

Feel free to PM or email me if you have another CdE questions, &/or we can call from there if a lot of them.

PS - Whichever radio you use, you can also get hidden adapters for classic radios, which will enable 3.5mm Aux, USB &/or BT thru them, from Woody's at the link below. He's been selling to Porsche & PCA folks for decades, & usually has a booth at the big LA Porsche Lit Show & Swap Meet in Anaheim in March.

http://woodyscustomshop.com/online-store/

http://stores.ebay.com/Woodys-Custom-Shop

Happy Holidays! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
SKL1
If I remember correctly (45+ years ago!!) most had dealer installed radios, and god forbid the dealer drilled a hole in the fender for the antenna!! They did on mine and of course at the time I didn't think it was a big deal. I haven't had my "original" radio in the car for a long time, but think it was a Motorola AM/FM and pretty generic for the times.
If I did a new radio now, I'd do the Porsche Classic radio for all the new upgrades. Can't imagine they ding you for that since it's a real "Porsche" radio and appropriate for the 914.
914Sixer
Any radio is the "correct radio". Dealers, sound shops and individuals put in what ever their preference was.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 2 2017, 05:18 PM) *

Any radio is the "correct radio". Dealers, sound shops and individuals put in what ever their preference was.

Thanks Mark.
Tom_T
PS Greg,

Just to be clear, I was answering based on your OP statement: "Here's the question, from a concours judging perspective, how "incorrect" is the non US Karlsruhe radio?"

The NOS Euro Blaupunkt is not incorrect per se, but it could be challenged by a competitor in a PCA Parade under their rules, as not being original or correct for a USA delivered 914, or if the COA says another radio was installed at the factory, or a dealer's invoice to the contrary (if you have that documentation).

It's my understanding that challenges like that are infrequent at Parade, but it can happen. As I said in my prior post, there have been other 914s which won their Class/Division at Parade with other & far more extensive non-original items in recent years, from what I can see just looking at the pix from Parade. So I don't know how much of a concern it would be for you - assuming you plan to show at Parade.

For me, the bigger question would be usability in the car here in the USA, & whether that set you show will pick up our stations, regardless of whether the dial & buttons are shown in Euro or USA standards. The dial looks like they may be the same frequencies as in the USA, but I don't know if your Euro Bands Blau will pull in the USA AM &/or FM stations, as I don't know the difference with their bands, so try it out to see what it gets.

The good thing about the Euro Blau is that it's dead perfect NOS & looks great!

FYI - Jeff Bowlsby's 914 site lists the factory radio options in the chart by MY at the first link below, & the range of dealer & factory radios are about 2/3's down at the 2nd link (my Moto AM/FM/8-Track is the VW 4412 on the list of pix linked there).

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/OpEq.htm

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Accessories.htm

As noted above by myself & others, unless you're trying to stick with a radio option listed on your 74's COA or Kardex, you can put in any period correct radio to "look" 74-ish.

For non-period but Porsche-made/sold "Porsche Classics" division radio options, there is also the Porsche sold classic radio with Nav (see link below, Suncoast Porsche & your local dealer can probably get it too), which would pass for anything in Concours at PCA Regions/Zones, but would have the same cautions which I mentioned above for Parade &/or non-PCA CdE - depending upon their individual rules.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUCLASSIC.html

If you plan on both pleasure driving & CdE showing, you could also just use your NOS Euro Blau for show, & also get a good quality modern Sony/JVC/Kenwood/etc. with Bluetooth, Aux/iPhone/Android/Aux & all the bells-&-whistles to use on a daily/weekend basis.

That Woody's Customs store also sells a pair of flat speakers to get to 4 total without hacking door cards/etc., which you can set under or behind the seats in a 914, & run the wires under the carpet sections to the radio (for Concours judging I'd recco removing at least the speakers & tuck the wiring under carpets if you go this route.

They're not hard to change-out if the original wiring is maintained, & the new style is installed using an adapter pig-tail, rather than the typical Audio shop cut-n-splice hack jobs.

The choice is yours.

Also FYI - here is a pic of my Motorola set added by the OO at the dealer, which needs a good detailing before I put it back in. It has the correct original plastic basketweave texture face plate with the half-circle notch for the glovebox key/lock-set, correct knobs to match the dash with the silver tabs adjusting L-to-R Speakers & Bass-to-Treble (don't recall which side is which offhand now), M/S is Mono/Stereo selector with the singe amber light to above to indicate stereo, & the 4 amber lights are for the track indication on 8-Track tapes with the dial face hinged to insert the tape cassette-box.

IPB Image

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 3 2017, 10:22 AM) *

PS Greg,

Just to be clear, I was answering based on your OP statement: "Here's the question, from a concours judging perspective, how "incorrect" is the non US Karlsruhe radio?"

The NOS Euro Blaupunkt is not incorrect per se, but it could be challenged by a competitor in a PCA Parade under their rules, as not being original or correct for a USA delivered 914, or if the COA says another radio was installed at the factory, or a dealer's invoice to the contrary (if you have that documentation).

It's my understanding that challenges like that are infrequent at Parade, but it can happen. As I said in my prior post, there have been other 914s which won their Class/Division at Parade with other & far more extensive non-original items in recent years, from what I can see just looking at the pix from Parade. So I don't know how much of a concern it would be for you - assuming you plan to show at Parade.

For me, the bigger question would be usability in the car here in the USA, & whether that set you show will pick up our stations, regardless of whether the dial & buttons are shown in Euro or USA standards. The dial looks like they may be the same frequencies as in the USA, but I don't know if your Euro Bands Blau will pull in the USA AM &/or FM stations, as I don't know the difference with their bands, so try it out to see what it gets.

The good thing about the Euro Blau is that it's dead perfect NOS & looks great!

FYI - Jeff Bowlsby's 914 site lists the factory radio options in the chart by MY at the first link below, & the range of dealer & factory radios are about 2/3's down at the 2nd link (my Moto AM/FM/8-Track is the VW 4412 on the list of pix linked there).

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/OpEq.htm

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Accessories.htm

As noted above by myself & others, unless you're trying to stick with a radio option listed on your 74's COA or Kardex, you can put in any period correct radio to "look" 74-ish.

For non-period but Porsche-made/sold "Porsche Classics" division radio options, there is also the Porsche sold classic radio with Nav (see link below, Suncoast Porsche & your local dealer can probably get it too), which would pass for anything in Concours at PCA Regions/Zones, but would have the same cautions which I mentioned above for Parade &/or non-PCA CdE - depending upon their individual rules.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUCLASSIC.html

If you plan on both pleasure driving & CdE showing, you could also just use your NOS Euro Blau for show, & also get a good quality modern Sony/JVC/Kenwood/etc. with Bluetooth, Aux/iPhone/Android/Aux & all the bells-&-whistles to use on a daily/weekend basis.

That Woody's Customs store also sells a pair of flat speakers to get to 4 total without hacking door cards/etc., which you can set under or behind the seats in a 914, & run the wires under the carpet sections to the radio (for Concours judging I'd recco removing at least the speakers & tuck the wiring under carpets if you go this route.

They're not hard to change-out if the original wiring is maintained, & the new style is installed using an adapter pig-tail, rather than the typical Audio shop cut-n-splice hack jobs.

The choice is yours.

Also FYI - here is a pic of my Motorola set added by the OO at the dealer, which needs a good detailing before I put it back in. It has the correct original plastic basketweave texture face plate with the half-circle notch for the glovebox key/lock-set, correct knobs to match the dash with the silver tabs adjusting L-to-R Speakers & Bass-to-Treble (don't recall which side is which offhand now), M/S is Mono/Stereo selector with the singe amber light to above to indicate stereo, & the 4 amber lights are for the track indication on 8-Track tapes with the dial face hinged to insert the tape cassette-box.

IPB Image

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom for the clarification. I knew what you you were saying in your first post. I'm still wrestling with using the ROW version Blaupunkt because it wouldn't have been something a dealer would have installed at delivery. The issue is more mine than what a judge may knock points off for. I'm trying to restore the car to OE US delivery specs and that radio is just wrong (IMHO).

Greg
Tom_T
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 3 2017, 11:31 AM) *

Thanks Tom for the clarification. I knew what you you were saying in your first post. I'm still wrestling with using the ROW version Blaupunkt because it wouldn't have been something a dealer would have installed at delivery. The issue is more mine than what a judge may knock points off for. I'm trying to restore the car to OE US delivery specs and that radio is just wrong (IMHO).

Greg

Greg, I actually am of the same mind as you are about it seeming out of place, but didn't want to be too hard line, if you were looking for wiggle room to use it. biggrin.gif

If that's the way you feel, then list it FS on the German/Euro evil-bay for the going rate &/or on here in the classifieds.

Then look for another USA NOS or very good condition used one, &/or put in a WTB in the classifieds on here, as well as an "appeal" for something to complete your resto for CdE in the Garage Forum (it reaches more members).

Mark Heard 914sixer had some nice ones, & may still have something if you PM him.

You might also dig into the older classifieds on here for other radios. IIRC there was an NOS Motorola similar to mine or AM/FM only there, but don't know if it sold (you could contact the buyer if it did, to see if they actually used/want it still).

The list on Jeff's link will give you some but not all of the radios used back in the day, & Motorola was one sold by the dealers here in the USA )as well as in Euro/
row).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
sarivers2001
Adding onto this old thread about radios, but my question actually relates to speakers.

Any out there have any information about what type/size and brand speakers were typically installed in the factory speaker locations covered by the angled kickplates (i.e., not in the doors)?

Also, any recommendations for new, modern speakers that fit into those originals spots well and provide decent sound, and at a reasonable price point?

When I bought my car a few weeks ago, the left speaker worked but rattled/buzzed at the slightest bass (so I suspect the left speaker has blown or simply worn out). The right speaker did not work at all.

So I opened them up today and the speaker covers appear to have been modified on the inside to utilize 3.5” round speakers, rather than 4x6 oval speakers.

Pictures below.

So, any thoughts on this from the community, as far as (a) the historical background, (b) whether to switch back to 4x6 or leave the modification in effect and get new 3.5” speakers, and © specific brands/models that have worked well?

Greatly appreciated, all,
Steven

StarBear
If you want to go to 4x6 on a budget, like many of us, go for the ones at AA. Fit great, sound fine without overwhelming our precious air cooled sound.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.