Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TIV Performance engine build video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
Admins, if this doesn't belong here, please move, or remove it- I don't want to abuse the "Garage"!!!!

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=87682

Thats the post on my forum guys... Read it and cast your vote.

Here is the text for those that don't want to go to the STF to read it..

Okay guys.....

I have been putting together the outline for the performance engine video and starting to add together all of the notes I have taken over the past 4 years that I want to include in it..

So at this point I need input from you. I need an honest price that you would pay for the video. This video will be comprehensive, but the more that you agree to pay here in this poll the more in detail I will go during the script process.

A video like this does not exist for any engine, TIV, TI or even 911 to my knowledge. I plan on showing the entire build up from design to dyno and everything in between that we do to create a 2270 from A-Z. With the recent copycatting of my stuff the only safe way that some data can be safeguarded yet still covered in the video is that we will be basing the build up from a "2270 kit"..... We can still go over just as much, but simply won't share absolute specifics of the engine being built- However in the design portion of the video I will go over the things that one must consider when creating their own combination...

I plan to go over performance tuning as well and show dyno differences in real time from what a jet change or slight timing change can do and how to sense from your engine what it may need to make better power.

Basically the more you are willing to spend money wise, the more we will do detail wise. The video will not be dry and bland, but it will be up beat, humorous as well as informative and will feature many different shots of TIV engines in action on the street, on the dyno and on the track including in car shots and etc. I have many ides that will make this more than just an instructional video- Its a complete production that will even include skits and a lot of just plain funny stuff as well as getting down to serious business and making huge power....

All in all it's probably going to be two volumes on two different DVDs and will be at least 4 hours long between both of them.....

There will be more data in this video than any book that can be written, the viewer will be able to look over my shoulder as we do everything needed to assemble the engine including behind the scenes video of the machine work, balancing and even some head work..

I want to create the video that you guys want to see for the price you want to pay, but their has to be compromise somewhere. Hell I'd do the video for free if I could just to promote the TIV but the production cost and a professional's assistance that knows what he is doing is not cheap.... Thats why I need to know how far you will open the wallet..

So feel free to post your comments about the video here on this thread and make sure to cast your HONEST vote on the poll.

I look forward to this video and bringing myself into your living room or garage in a personal sort of way (again by the end of this summer at latest!

What I definately plan to include:
*design and correctly matching an engine to a set of optimum gearing
*detailed assembly that will pick up where the Bug Me video leaves off
*correctly setting deck height, the effects of compression and its correct use and how quench works and why efficiency is such an important thing
*CORRECTLY SETTING ROCKER GEOMETRY!
*Proper break in, tuning and troubleshooting of a fresh MassIVe Four and some tricks to keep your engine alive longer
*Recommended temperatures
*recommended accesories and "Junk thats just not needed"
*Some sneak peaks from cooling system testing and even a few shots of the worst and best systems out there and what makes the good ones good and the bad ones bad..

Plus much, much more- if it is anything like I plan it will simply blow your mind.

The video will not be 914 specific, not TI onversion specific but will cover the important parts of everything. The engine I will build will be equally at home in a 914 or a VW.
Twystd1
Jake, This may be a difficult question for some...

But the answer is easy for me.

I have a good idea what it costs to build a motor WRONG.

That usually costs me between 500 bucks to a couple of grand or much more. depending on what went wrong.

I never build anything close to stock specs. It's always a stroker with all the technology I can throw at it.

Therefore the cost of parts can be huge at times. Especially if I have to buy them twice because I blew something up.

Doesn't happen often. Yet it can and DOES happen. It happens to the best of us.

Therefore I am willing to pay a hundred bucks for two DVDs or CDs. No problem. It is money well spent when I consider the alternatives.

If it's 2 hours long. I paid you 50.00 per hour for expert advice.
If it's 4 hours long I paid you 25.00 per hour for expert advice.
That is reasonable.

Hell, YOU can't buy my proffesional time for that amount per hour.

And you are the only one I know that is stepping up to the plate to make a tutorial of engine assembly and HP tuning.

And you have REAL dyno experience with a REAL shop and your smart enough to build a 3 liter TIV that works and don't go boom.

I know of several other top notch TIV engine builders that are also very good at their craft. Yet they choose not to offer this.

So I am down for for a C note to you.

By the way. I signed up for a 914 DTM a long time ago. I tried to send you money last year for it but you said you weren't finished with the R&D yet. I spoke to SpunOne a while back and he said you are about ready to get them into production. Where am I at on the list?

I could use it by June or July if it is possible. Let me know about that also.

I still have that Colt Python serial number 001 waiting for ya if you still want to do some swapping. And if your lady doesn't bust your huevos for it... rolleyes.gif

So that's where I am at Jake. Now get the darn video done. I need it...!!!!

Regards,
Twystd1
smoke.gif smoke.gif
Jake Raby
Damn that Python sounds good... Hell yeah we'll do some trading! I buy atleast one weapon per month and nobody complains...LOL

Anyway the video is just what you mentioned. The idea behind the video is to make this engine more known about, make it easier to build the right way and get more cars on the road the right way!

As for the DTM- Read here www.aircooledtechnology.com/research.htm and you'll see it listed in my R&D library... I am making some changes to the design as we speak but it is going to be sweet with the new design, even simpler and smarter.. I am looking for ONE individual to install the first kit and give me a report on how well it fits their car and how well it works compared to stock- The perfect person would have full instruments and be willing to log some data for me..

I am making 20 of them in one run for those that signed up last year and will have 5 extras left over.. Selling this many will help offset the cost of the mold and R&D work. At that point the bean counter will crunch the numbers and see how we do profit wise on them and we'll make the decision on keeping them in stock or letting the mold collect dust.

BTW- My 10:1 2316 will not go over 190 on the oil temp and 300 on the heads after over 4,000 miles, head temps are rock solid on all 4 cylinders and it only varies by maybe 15-20 degrees on all 4 . I will have the datalogger installed in the 914 to gather the final bit of data by the end of next week.

I'd say it's two months out at this point..

Anyway- The video is going to kick serious ass. I really love shooting the video stuff!
chunger
Hello Jake,

Your 1st video was at a price point where I bought it just for gud 'ole information. At $80-$100, in my personal economy, I'd purchase the video definitely if I were going to build a performance engine, but not just for the heck of knowing.

I paid a good C-bill on video/books to learn how to build my 1911A1. I've spent probably ~$200 on information to build the house.

Personally, ~$40 = something to buy for fun just because
~ $100 = definite purchase if working on something that can go boom
~ $200 = would try to seek out alternative methods to find the info I need.

-'Chung
Eric Taylor
Jake,
I have to agree with Chunger. $100 would deffinatly be reasonable for me to buy when I go to build up one of your 2270 kits, especially since you're doing that in the video. No where else would I be able to find such a great guide for the build of the engine. However I would never even consider just buying that video for fun, like I did the bug me video. I currently have that video and enjoy watching it just because motor's are cool aktion035.gif , but it was only $35. If it had been a $100 the cool factor would be gone, but if I were building a 2270 I would hand you my credit card right now.
Eric

P.S.
This is DVD right? VHS would be a little different.

Mark Henry
Too cheap.

A video letting cheap bastards pick your brains.

I say fuch em, let them do their own research.

Sorry I'm a bit bitter this week...I think Jake knows what I'm talking about.

I can say this a engine with DTM shroud install is about $500 (plus DTM) from this shop...a sharpbbuilt 911 shroud is about 4X (plus shroud) the price.
Jake Raby
Mark...
I go there once a month on average....

Learn how to say no and they will listen...

BTW- Mark I need some SDS maps from ya... I'm ready to do some testing and need some baselines, even if they are a miles off it will make things faster for me..

Anyway- I know that at 100 bucks the volume would be much lower, but unlike the Bug me video not everyone would want one. There are a whole lot more guys out there with a stock TIV in a bus or 914 that need a rebuild than guys that want more power..

This is why I put this feeler out to see which direction I should go in with this. The Bug me video isn't worth more than the 36.95 it retails at because its entry level, newbie style and very simple, but it has helped get thousands of TIV engines all over the world asembled correctly and when it all boils down to it thats all I really give a damn about any way.... If I was a millionaire I'd do it for free and give them away in carbon fiber cases....
MattR
I would seriously consider dropping a c note for a video even though I dont intend on building a 2270 right now. The Bug Me video was so informative and well done I could see buying the new video just to get a better idea of how these engines work. Im not sure how many there are like me, but when they're ready, i'll probably be on the list to buy one!
bernbomb914
Jake I am on your list for the DTM I also have installed a cht guage witha 4 way switch so I know how hot each head is it is also a 2270 with 44 webers etc so if that is what you are looking for I am ready. also I would be willing to pay your top dollar for a kick ass dvd

Bernie
Twystd1
Jake, The Python is yours. I already stuck it in a box for you months ago. Has about 50 rounds throught it. (had to try it...ya know).

We will figure something out whenever your ready. I also have a Westach Quad CHT gauge and a EGT to boot. Now If I can just borrow an LM1 After I put this whole shebang together, I'm set

Just picked up a set of cramic lifters. Now for the machining and putting the engine together.

I am also going to need a Cam from you. Plus a few G of other stuff.

When you get closer to a 914 DTM delivery date. We will put this all together.

NOW... When are you going to take my C note and make a dam good video?
Regards,
Twystd1

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
scottb
put me down for one dvd set at $100-ish

don't know if this would work but what if you charged $100 or so for the video and if the client then bought a 2270 (or any other) engine kit from you within a year, a portion of the video cost is deducted from the cost of the kit? i would imagine that a few more folks would jump in, especially those already looking at getting one of your kits or even complete engines.
MecGen
Hi Guys
Jake...have you thought of pirate copies?...
Maybe I hang with the wrong crowd, but for 25$ to copy and sell for 5$ is not worth it. A 100$ video copied and sold for 50$ is worth it.
I am in the auto biz, it would be a concern for me. Maybe keep the jucy specs and pics on a PDF that can be encrypted...but I don't think this is what you want.
Just some input from the other side...
25$ is my vote, for above reasons.
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
ArtechnikA
a week at the Jerry Woods/Bruce Anderson 911 engine rebuild class is $600. you -do- get access to Bruce and Jerry for a week (plus lunches and such) and they do answer all your questions - even the ones you didn't know you needed to ask.

there *is* a 356 engine build video series done by 'The Maestro' Harry Pellow - i have the 5-VHS set and i didn't think twice about paying $100 for it.

i think at $100 you will have no trouble selling it. above $250 people will have to think hard about it, put it off, want it in a hurry when their engine dies, be in a hurry and not pay attention when it arrives...

copying is always an issue. maybe put a serial number on 'em and offer a limited amount of support with each one. or do the 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' trick - sprinkle disinformation throughout the video and document the real stuff on paper... i donno. to a certain extent, a video like that is a sales tool more than a product. if people buy engine kits because they watched the video, that'd probably more in the direction you want to take the business anyway - rather than being a video star.

OK - there ya go - since the video is a new product and therefore "found money" -- serial-number each one and offer the purchase price as a credit against any complete engine kit. if you've tracked the original purchaser's data, when the 'purchase credit' information doesn't match, or has already been used -- too bad!
Mark Henry
Jake you can have my MAPS, but you won't need them....Like it says "Simple Digital Systems".

The engine will start right up, set the timing, watch your WB and adjust your fuel values...your 85% done.
On the dyno that will take you about 10min.
Then you'll fart around with it for a couple of hours and change very little.

My controller lives a nice life in my trunk...I haven't used it in ages.
stevenhaas
I'm in for $100....
Bill Shaw
Jake,

Add me in for $100 as well.
Jake Raby
Thanks guys.... for the input.

I really want to make this a production that people will enjoy to watch as well as benefit from!
MarkG
I'd spend a $100 for a good DVD since I have never built a VW or a push-rod engine before (just 911 and L series Datsun engines).

Colt Python hey! I have a 6" that was my service revolver back in my cop days.....NEVER failed to qualify 300 60x with that sucker!! Best gun I've owned!!
jonwatts
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Apr 28 2005, 04:11 AM)
OK - there ya go - since the video is a new product and therefore "found money" -- serial-number each one and offer the purchase price as a credit against any complete engine kit. if you've tracked the original purchaser's data, when the 'purchase credit' information doesn't match, or has already been used -- too bad!

agree.gif The "money towards an engine kit" is a feel good offer than not too many will (realistically) cash in on so it's a win for you.

Jake Raby
The DVD would be included free on any engine kit, so it's all basically the same...

I'm not into trickery- No time for it!
anthony
Basically the more you are willing to spend money wise, the more we will do detail wise.

Have you considered that the cheaper the video is the more that you will sell?

At $19.99 I think you will sell a ton of videos even to guys who may have never thought of building their own engine. At $99.99 I think you will have much fewer buyers, people sharing the video, and bootlegging it. Really only those who are serious would buy it and then most of those will probably buy a kit anyway and get it for free.

You know how many Bug Me videos you've sold so you can project how many of these you might sell. Personally, I would recommend that you sell it as cheap as possible, get it in the hands of as many people as possible, and think of it as a marketing tool.

merrill
Jake,
From the amount of time you spent with me just talking about engine tin, I would pay whatever you asked. It is very obvious after speaking with you that the knowledge you have is priceless. Thank you for your time and I look forward to buying a dvd at a fair price cool.gif
Jake Raby
Thanks buddy....

No matter how hard I try I just go and go and on video its hard to control!
firstknight13
jake i'm in too i just can't resist a GOOD deal when i see it and my favorite word is free and to me 100 is free!!!!! clap.gif mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.