Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear Lube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sir Nick
Hey ya'll. I'm finally restoring my old 914-6 I've had for 35 years. Sorry, I got sidetracked by a few 911's and a 944. I've got the engine done and am considering installing a LSD in the trans. I'd like your recommendations for a LSD for street and the rare autocross? But my main question is for gear lube recommendations, both with and without LSD?
Mark Henry
To me you only need a LSD if you race a lot, very high HP or drive in the snow often.

IIRC the Quafe LSD is the best bang for the buck.
N_Jay
Years ago, Swepco was the best gear oil for porsche transmissions.
Not sure if there is something better now.
ConeDodger
Swepco agree.gif

Guard and Quaiffe both make great products. I would recommend a Torque biasing differential over an LSD for your stated street / autocross purposes.
Mark Henry
Swepco is ok and I swear by their 101 grease, but personally I don't believe the hype on the gear oil.
To me it's just average gear oil with a pretty blue dye and a high price tag. I have two jugs of it gathering dust on a shelf in the shop.

To me Kendall has always been a far superior gear oil, try Kendall NS-MP Gear Lube.

shades.gif
N_Jay
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 29 2016, 09:06 AM) *

Swepco is ok and I swear by their 101 grease, but personally I don't believe the hype on the gear oil.
To me it's just average gear oil with a pretty blue dye and a high price tag. I have two jugs of it gathering dust on a shelf in the shop.

To me Kendall has always been a far superior gear oil, try Kendall NS-MP Gear Lube.

shades.gif

When did they add blue dye? (Yes, My SWEPCO gear oil is that old!)
Mark Henry
QUOTE(N_Jay @ Dec 29 2016, 10:51 AM) *

When did they add blue dye? (Yes, My SWEPCO gear oil is that old!)

Don't know, over 10 years.
One thing I have been doing is adding 1/2 quart swepco to my gear oil so I can easily see if an oil leak is tranny or engine. smile.gif
johnhora
I've had good luck with Sta-Lube in 901 ZF LSD equipped transmissions:

Click to view attachment

You can get it online or at your local NAPA.

Used Swepco for may years in 911/914...good oil and the best for finding leaks...always a little purple spot under any transmission
using it....whether old or just rebuilt.... No weeping problems with the Sta-Lube

Used Redline in the race gear boxes....never a problem on hard worked 901 or 915 transmissions

Dave_Darling
Guard Transmission makes the best limited-slip diffs. For the track, the friction-based LSD is preferred. For autoX or the street, the torque-biasing one is generally preferred.

Be prepared to pay for the best if you want the best. GT isn't cheap.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.