Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '75 2.0 L fuel line sizes and availability
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Papermaker
Hi--

I'm replacing a set of home brewed SS FI lines I made in 1995 with a set I recently purchased from Rotary'14 (the new lines look great)! While making the change, I planned to replace the FI and tank to filter line hoses but I'm having trouble sourcing replacements. Can anyone recommend brands, sizes, and availability of replacement hoses?

Note: the hoses I used in '95 were Gates brand with the following IDs: FI hose 9/32 (7.1 mm) and fuel tank to filter 7/16" (11.1 mm). Looking at the current Gates Barricade catalog it looks like they no longer make those sizes.

What is the 914 world using today?

Thanks,

--Papermaker
TheCabinetmaker
We're using the proper size metric line rated for ethanol. Available at moist p car shops, bug supply house, Mercedes dealers, ...
Papermaker
Hi Cabinetmaker--

Thanks, but the nearest P-car dealers are 60 to 90 mi. away. I was hoping for specific brand, size and distributor info.

--Papermaker
mepstein
I go to flaps and get the right size fuel injection hose. Works for all the Porsche's at my shop.
Dave_Darling
Gates is a good brand, and they make hoses that will hold up to ethanol.

Sounds like the sizes you picked are reasonable, but if you can get the actual metric sizes it might be better. I believe that Tangerine Racing carries the Gates hoses.

--DD
Papermaker
Hi Mike--

I tried using several local auto parts stores but ran into problems. I want to use a premium brand because I don't want to do it again. The hoses I installed in '95 were Gates and I suppose they started failing some time during the last 5 - 10 years (the car has been siting since 2010.

Checking the Gates catalog and other major brands shows they no longer manufacture 7.1 mm (9/32") and 11.1 mm (7/16") is hard to find. Over the years I've visited Porsche dealerships many times and been disappointed so many times I've stopped trying. They really have no interesting in supporting the old cars.

Today's standardized FI fuel line choices are 6.35 mm (0.25") and 8 mm (0.3125"). The fuel tank to filter hoses available seem to be 9.2525 mm (3/8") and 12.7 mm (0.5").

I guess I'll give Stoddard's a call and see if they can help me.

--Papermaker
mepstein
So the Gates hoses lasted about 10 years but your going to use them again because you don't want to do the job again ???
Papermaker
Mike--

the car sat for several years. Not sure, but suspect that was a contributing factor. Can you suggest a better brand?

--John
ChrisFoley
The spec on those old Gates hoses was probably not adequate for FI use with fuel containing alcohol.
The hose I sell conforms to specification 30R-14.
The best diameter to use everywhere on your '75 is 7.9mm (5/16").
Dave_Darling
What about the large-diameter line to the fuel pump?

--DD
jmill
Hell yeah! piratenanner.gif Another World member in Wisconsin.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 31 2016, 01:29 PM) *

--DD

3/8 will fit, bit of a pain and you need strong hands.
I also know that Chris makes and uses a SS adaptor to step down the size to the 5/16", just as I have for years.

Remember all the hose before the pump can be regular hose because it's low pressure, only the hose after the pump and throughout the FI circuit has to be high pressure FI hose.

Chris is also correct about you wanting SAE 30R14 hose.
I will no longer use the so called german cloth braided VW hose from aircooled VW suppliers, I see that hose cracking at the cut ends in less than 1 year use.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 31 2016, 02:29 PM) *

--DD

I use 1/2" racing hose for the filter to late pump pump connection.
TheCabinetmaker
^ I did the same. Got it from the local speed shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.