Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Main Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74914LE
Has anyone seen one of the "OEM" Targa Main Seals that are available, to be able to tell me if it is 100% the same as an Original Porsche Seal? Just curious, since Original Seals are available from Porsche, is "OEM" 100% from the same mold/material? It looks like about a $100 price difference, and not sure the Porsche bag is worth that much it they are 100% the same.

Part No.- 91456303910

Thanks in advance for opinions! smile.gif
mepstein
I heard "oem" is URO brand in disguise.
JFG
I bought shed loads of seals from 914 rubber some good some not so good.

Having just fitted this same seal you are looking for I can say the one from 914 rubber is spot on. The fit and feel are really good. Nothing split, especially on the chunky right angle joints which are a weak spot.

Steve
That's good to know. I bought one from 914rubber years ago and it was horrible. You have to trim the chrome to make it fit. It also pulled away from the car when you removed the top.
walterolin
Mark's first run was a little rough. I sent mine back, he sent the new model and it was spot on. Skip the OEM.
Andyrew
I've had a OEM Porsche bagged targa seal that split about a month after install. its now about an inch short and pisses me off every time I look at it.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 29 2016, 10:52 AM) *

I heard "oem" is URO brand in disguise.

OEM is a much bigger brand than URO, but that doesn't mean they aren't buying the exact same things from the same Chinese manufacturer. AA repro stuff fits in here too.
carcus
Everything I got from 914 rubber was better than the worn OEM parts for what that is worth. I do not have a show car but just want the rubber to get the seals done. The front windshield targa seal was kinda tough, also putting all the seals on the targa took some strength to pull and get them on, but they are very good quality. Only rubber seal I did not get from 914 rubber was the front trunk seal and the quality I got sucked. It works but will probably need to replace that in a year.
porschetub
Mark has an updated seal on his website would be my next purchase with other parts
tomh
I'm installing my main targa seal I got from 914 rubber tomorrow, what's the preferred method of installing. Does anyone use soap to help it slide in or would that damage the material. So far the things I have purchased from Mark have been great.
Mikey914
Do the sides 1st. Then start in the middle and press on the top. The grip is tight, so if you have to use a flat screwdriver to open up about 1" to get started. You can also use soapy water to help it slide on. You really don't want to have to take off and reinstall. So don't stretch it (making one side have more material).
Patience as it is tight so it will not pull off.

MArk
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 30 2016, 01:26 PM) *

Do the sides 1st. Then start in the middle and press on the top. The grip is tight, so if you have to use a flat screwdriver to open up about 1" to get started. You can also use soapy water to help it slide on. You really don't want to have to take off and reinstall. So don't stretch it (making one side have more material).
Patience as it is tight so it will not pull off.

MArk

And be careful. There are some sharp edges on that flange that will open you up enough to require stitches! blink.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 29 2016, 03:17 PM) *

That's good to know. I bought one from 914rubber years ago and it was horrible. You have to trim the chrome to make it fit. It also pulled away from the car when you removed the top.

Yep...I had one from around 4 years ago with the same problem and wound up buying one from AA.

I understand the new ones from 914rubber are MUCH better.
colingreene
I have a newer one and im very happy with it.
914 Rubber Delivers in this case.
tomh
Just installed the 914 rubber main seal and it fit real nice. The grip is tight, takes a bit of time but the fit looks good.
74914LE
Thank you for the comments. Can anyone provide a photo of the seals they have installed? New Porsche / OEM / 914 Rubber / Automobile Atlanta

I would like to do a side by side compare on the available options. Specifically interested in the corners. I think this would be a great way to prove form/fit/function on what is available on the market. We all want the most durable solution, that is as close to the original as possible. Seals that are too large, hard to install, come unglued, and are improperly formed are not in the best interest of the 914 community. Prices are all over the place, and this will give us all a better idea on what we are getting for the money. I appreciate it if anyone could help out with photos from recent installs. Thanks!
tomh
I'll get a few picks up soon, I have used aftermarket and original and have found the real expensive original stuff is harder to install and doesn't work any better in most cases. The original seals are often light grey and have a white powdery substance on it that I can't get off. The 914 rubber stuff is a nice black and I feel little look nicer on my car.
Just my 2 cents.
Mikey914
We are in the process of putting up a new website that will have more details and pictures but I will not be able to do anything for a few days as far as getting pictures posted up here. I did see that "someone" has reproduced these (in China), and is marketing a foam rubber version of this seal. Lets just say look for a vendor that supplies a seal that is similar to OEM.

I have made several versions in the past. Including a strip of the profile seal that could be used to repair the upper section that was glued into the corners on your failing seal. My current version is pretty close to OEM.
bando6
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 29 2016, 12:17 PM) *

Half of my seal pulls away when removing the top also. mad.gif
Jett
I recently (this summer) installed the 914Rubber Targa Seal and although it went in perfectly, it was a bit tight when the Targa roof was installed. I left the roof attached for several weeks while occasionally removing by lifting the rear and then wiggling to remove. After a couple of months the Top no longer pulls the seal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.