Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Location of Porsche Crest on Hood
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gcrotvik
I realize Porsche never installed a hood crest on a production 914. However, I recall a garage thread some time back noting the location of the Porsche crest IF the factory would have included them with the production cars. What is that location?

Thank you!

Greg
Tom_T
Greg,

I'd suggest that you look at photos of the 2 914-8s & the pre-production promo 914-6s when Porsche did put badges on the 914s to eyeball the proper placement which they intended for it. You can use a known part like the headlight eyebrow or lid or the badge itself to "measure" the gap between the bottom point of the badge to front edge of the hood/deck-lid, then use math & a ruler on that part to come up with the actual gap measurement.

IIRC that thread was using the 911/912 recco'd placement of 8" back from the front edge of the hood, but it always looked to me that Porsche probably used 8" or so back from the front edge of the front bumper top pad instead, in order for it to look right.

If you google for images or look on the posts on here, you'll see that folks put them everywhere from a couple-a-three inches from the front edge of the hood panel, to mid-way of the headlight doors/eyebrows, to way up even with the top of the headlight doors hinge-point.

IMHO it looks best closer to the hood front edge (just above where the frame on the underside ends) - along the lines of what the factory did on the ones noted above.

It sounds from your recent posts, that you're making good progress for the upcoming 2017 Parade in Spokane! smilie_pokal.gif

Good Luck & Happy Holidays! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 30 2016, 10:29 AM) *

Greg,

I'd suggest that you look at photos of the 2 914-8s & the pre-production promo 914-6s when Porsche did put badges on the 914s to eyeball the proper placement which they intended for it. You can use a known part like the headlight eyebrow or lid or the badge itself to "measure" the gap between the bottom point of the badge to front edge of the hood/deck-lid, then use math & a ruler on that part to come up with the actual gap measurement.

IIRC that thread was using the 911/912 recco'd placement of 8" back from the front edge of the hood, but it always looked to me that Porsche probably used 8" or so back from the front edge of the front bumper top pad instead, in order for it to look right.

If you google for images or look on the posts on here, you'll see that folks put them everywhere from a couple-a-three inches from the front edge of the hood panel, to mid-way of the headlight doors/eyebrows, to way up even with the top of the headlight doors hinge-point.

IMHO it looks best closer to the hood front edge (just above where the frame on the underside ends) - along the lines of what the factory did on the ones noted above.

It sounds from your recent posts, that you're making good progress for the upcoming 2017 Parade in Spokane! smilie_pokal.gif

Good Luck & Happy Holidays! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom. Happy Holidays to you!

My 914 won't be ready for Parade 2017 so I'm planning on taking my Boxster or going with my brother in his C4S. I'm looking forward to it as it will be my first parade! I suspect you will be going?

Greg
stugray
If you are going for authenticity, then it belongs on the wall:

IPB Image

I removed mine and filled the damn holes when I repainted my hood.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 30 2016, 12:05 PM) *

If you are going for authenticity, then it belongs on the wall:

I removed mine and filled the damn holes when I repainted my hood.

I agree!!! My light ivory 74 will be bone stock. This is for a different project.
dlkawashima
Some members thoughts on alignment: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=276753

On the 914-8, looks like the pointy end of the crest is closely aligned with the headlight buckets eyebrows. Click image to super size ...
Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 30 2016, 02:44 PM) *

On the 914-8, looks like the pointy end of the crest is closely aligned with the headlight buckets eyebrows. Click image to super size ...

I too removed mine and filled the holes when it went in for repaint.

If you do add one I think the above alignment is about right. I never noticed the other 914 in the background with a hood badge until now and I have seen this pictures dozens of times......
Gmanscott55
Here is link and template I used from Peiican Parts website. Came out great on mine.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9..._hood_crest.htm

Gmanscott55
Pic of placement- 3 3/4 inches from bottom of hood to the bottom part of crest.

.Click to view attachment
socal1200r
Personally speaking, given a choice between the two, I think I'd rather have the PORSCHE rear lens between the tail lights than a badge on the hood. The hood looks fine without a badge, but that gap between the tail lights just doesn't look quite right to me.
Coondog
Never really though about it as every 914 I owned had one. I think I would remove it if I ever painted my car. Funny because PO had it installed in 1986 when he had car repainted from silver to white....... blink.gif

Click to view attachment
stevend914
...and make sure you install the correct colored bars (red vs. orange)
23e Heure
Excellent thread, glad I found this one, thanks guys.

My car will be getting holes drilled for a hood crest in a couple of weeks.

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Dec 31 2016, 06:24 PM) *

I dare to be different: One for each of my cars biggrin.gif

IPB Image

pete000
I pondered putting a crest on my 914, but if I ever do I would remove the pins and use adhesive tape. No Holes !
flat4guy
Mine was too low.......
IPB Image
raynekat
Now those are cool....I'd definitely put those on my lid. wink.gif

QUOTE(23e Heure @ Jan 5 2017, 11:02 AM) *

Excellent thread, glad I found this one, thanks guys.

My car will be getting holes drilled for a hood crest in a couple of weeks.

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Dec 31 2016, 06:24 PM) *

I dare to be different: One for each of my cars biggrin.gif

IPB Image

somd914
Agree with above line up reference posts.

I'm not into factory originality...

On the silver car:

Click to view attachment

And going with this one on the Ravenna green car:

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.