Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charcoal cannister
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IanStott
Was looking at a picture of the gas tanks and how they are different depending on the year, mine is a 74 not a 74 1/2, so mine should have a charcoal cannister but doesn't, is it a big deal? The small hose between the 2 fuel lines probably goes in the cannister, if no cannister what do you do with it?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Dave_Darling
The cannister is for reducing how much evaporated fuel gets out of the fuel tank. Some emissions tests cannot be passed without it (e.g., the visual inspection type). It is kind of nice to have, and can help if you're getting a fuel smell in the car and have replaced the fuel lines and you know they're not leaking.

The downside: A little bit of weight (not a meaningful amount for most of us), and a little cost to get it if you don't have one already.

If your car has the two large-ish lines running through the driver's side rocker panel, then the charcoal cannister was above the fuel tank. If it has the one small extra line running through the center tunnel, the cannister was in the engine bay.

If you don't have a cannister, plug the vacuum hoses up or route them so they make a closed loop.

--DD
Root_Werks
Sort of a hi-jack, but I have one I pulled from a running car not too long ago. PM me if you want it cheap. I would think you would want one on the car. dry.gif
IanStott
I do have that small line that goes thru the firewall at the same place as the 2 larger fuel lines, I'll search the engine compartment a little harder to see if a cannister is there. I wish I could master posting pics as I am proud of what I have done so far, and I would like to show before and afters!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
mattillac
i ditched my charcoal canister. a 30 year old canister probably isn't doing any good anyways. i routed the vacuum line directly to my "custom" intake tube using a brass fitting from the hardware store.
Rand
You can have mine for the cost of shipping. Personally, I love getting rid of stuff that isn't really necessary. Like Mattillac said, the charcoal isn't doing much anymore. If you don't have emissions testing issues, and you can clean it up without getting fuel odors, I think you're better off without it.
SGB
Still have it but it has been removed for 8 or 9 years. I had it off to access sumthin and noticed when I shook it around that the charcoal had apparently massed into one chunk that just clunked around like a rock. Is there any way to rehabilitate one? I think it does help reduce odor....
mikey
Not to hijack this thread but did the 914-6 have them?

There wasn't one on my car when I disassembled it but the fuel tank has the mounting tab. (I've seen other 6ers with them on the gas tank) Also, I only had 2 fuel lines running through the tunnel and none running along the driver's side rocker. What to I connect the canister up to?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.