Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heatpad location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gulf908
I want to install some Dynapad to help reduce the heat coming through into the cabin in my 1970 914-6.
Looking at the parts cd the heatpad on later 914s seems to be attatched to the motor side of the bulkhead.
As the seat back pad is coming out for some 'while you're there' jobs,I was thinking it would be an alternative to install it on the cabin side of the bulkhead.
I believe the Dynapad is 3/8 " thick.
Is there enough space to place the Dynapad between the seat back pad and the bulkhead ?

TIA
Dennis
snakemain
Yes. There is room to install heat/sound insulation behind the interior back pad.
Frankvw
Yes, that is possible. There is other stuff around besides dynamat. Sometimes people choose another brand/product because of the weight that dynamat can add. ( or because of price, since dynamat is expensive). But beware...some alternatives contain tar/asfalth and can cause some odor when it heats up. I am saying this since i see you are located in australia, and i guess some parts can be quiete warm there....
dynamat is a great product, but their are alternatives for your backpad solution.
Any car audio shop should be able to help out in this.
(Some people even use stuff from the DIY store, but remember the tar/asphalth comment above)
PS...nice car !!!
GeorgeRud
I don't believe the 914-6 ever had a sound pad in the engine compartment. I've never noticed any heat coming through the firewall either, so I'd perhaps check that your heater flaps are closing when the heat is off.

Then again, Illinois is probably cooler than Australia.
gandalf_025
Factory 6s did come with a thick sound/ heat pad behind the backpad inside the car.
I know at least the early ones did. So there is room behind there..
rgalla9146
All early cars >'72 ? came with a 1/4" thick rubber/asphalt pad glued onto the interior
side of the bulkhead.
porschetub
I've recently done repairs to my backpad,I had a sheet of under bonnet insulation left over from a previous project so I applied that after making templates to get the material to fit all the shapes and curves,I then covered all the joins with high temp silver insulation tape.
I have driven the car since and found there is a little less noise but can't comment on the heat inside the car as I didn't go far.
My factory insulation pad was in good condition so I didn't want to take it out,however I feel that any modern insulation /sound deadening would be more efficient for your needs,I did read somewhere that multiply layers are better than one single thicker one......fact or fiction dry.gif .
I have used a odorless tar sound deadening before(dynamat clone ) and not noticed any smell even in warm areas so I guess you need to choose the right product.
The material I have used is just over 3mm in thickness ,you would get 2 layers in there no problem with the factory material removed,good luck.
gulf908
Guys

thanks for the advice - I wouldnt have thought about the smell aspect.
what has precipitated this project is I retired a while ago and will be driving my -6 more during the day - its my only car - and it seems we are in for a long hot summer here in Sydney.
I recently had some perlon attatched under the top and I now dont have to wear a cap in the car on hot days.
The trimmer I use is very good but mine is the first 914 he has worked on.

thx
Dennis. smile.gif

maddin
Hi Dennis,
I have this back pad from 914 rubber which I won't use on my -6 conversion.
Let me know if you want it...I'll be in Sydney from the 14-16/01.
Cheers Marty

Back Pad 914 rubber
gulf908
Marty

thanks for the offer.
after re-reading some of the posts,I will be making a decision on the heatpad just after the back pad is removed so I cant say for sure which way I'll go - whether to keep whats there or replace depending on what we find.
where will you be staying in Sydney ?

thanks
Dennis smile.gif
gulf908
All

A progress report to keep you-all up to date
The seat back pad and seat came out quickly this morning and fortunately there was no corrosion nasties evident.
The existing sound pad attatched to the inside firewall was intact although obviously 46 years old.
It still had the RePa sticker dated March 1970 but it fell apart in my hands so no pic there.
The existing sound pad is being used as a template for the new heat pad which was being installed as I left the workshop.
Thanks for the advice again.
Some pics -

Cheers
Dennis. smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.