Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Small car, big problems. Sound familiar?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amfab
I am sure many share parts of my story

The car I bought was not as described.

It its my fault, because in my eagerness and excitement I didn’t inspect well enough.

It looked great. It was repainted with a decent job a few years ago. It drove just as I remember my ‘73 2.0 did that I had when I was 18. It was more solid feeling than the others I had driven in my search. The interior was in great shape, door gaps were good. There was no rust in either trunk. The hellhole had been repaired and it looked pretty good.

I bought it and drove it home 2600 miles. It was a great trip.

My mechanic tuned it up, looked it over said he thought it looked in good shape. This was encouraging, especially from a guy building a 914 racecar for himself.

I trusted—and still do—trust the guy from whom I bought it. He was very nice and I still think very honest. He had it for 5 years and drove it once or twice a month on nice days. He put about 5k miles on it in that time. It was sold to him as “restored.” He is just not mechanically inclined and bought it as a fun little weekend car.

Unfortunately, a lot was hidden behind welded-in panels, and undercoat, and sound insulation material.

I drove it for a few months, the car felt solid and ran great. I spent the last few months fixing up little things: the trunk pivots, radio, e-brake handle, etc. and started collecting parts for a 5-lug conversion, then I noticed a couple bubbles in the rocker panel, so I tried to jack it up…

You know the rest. Longs severely rotted, patched floor pans with rot etc. etc.

Now I am completely overwhelmed.

I have grinders, a bunch of air tools, a couple of welders, a sandblaster, some beefy jack stands, and a couple of floor jacks. So, I am gonna save it, or at least try.

I need a lot of help, especially moral support at this point.

Is there a best way I should go about posting questions for a project like this? Should I just make separate topics for each question or should I do one ongoing post? What is the etiquette for this?

Many pictures will be forthcoming. (I am letting the car air out right now from all the solvents I was using to get the tar and sound insulation out).

I know many of you have been through this before— I have been using all my spare time reading your threads. Thank you for the information so far, and in advance for the help

-Andrew
infraredcalvin
Sounds like there are some positives to the story, if you're willing and able, in the end you'll know exactly what you have, and have a sense of accomplishment to boot! There are many teeners in the So Cal area for at minimum moral support. Keep posting to this thread and absorb all the great insight and support from this board. Post pics, questions, etc, let er rip!
tygaboy
I'd suggest you start a build/resto/repair thread. People will get to know what you're up to and if they are like me, will follow and comment or provide answers when you ask.

Plus, there are lots of us with similar issues and I've found it useful to revisit threads that have done/are doing the same sorts of repairs as I am.

Just my $.02.

Best of luck with the car, whichever way you decide to post!
iankarr
Hang in there! It really isn't that bad. Sounds like the car is mechanically sorted and the exterior and interior components are good. Thousands of 914 owners have done the floorpans and longs before you and there are great vendors which make the necessary parts and tools. The 914World community will help you get through this. And, as others have said, you'll learn a lot and be back on the road sooner than you think. Way sooner, probably, than someone who needs to strip and repaint their car...
Shadowfax
Good for you for wanting to save it. Lots of good threads here dealing with rust and structural repair. If I were you, I'd start assessing what needs to be replaced and then visit Restoration Design. They are an awesome resource. Since you are in Cali you might also be able to find a decent roller if the work is too overwhelming on the current car.
amfab
Thanks for the encouragement,

Started a thread for the repairs

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=301894
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.