Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
green914
Just picked up the engine tines, and a few other parts. smile.gif
green914
Looking to pick up suspension parts in another two or three weeks.
snakemain
That's gonna look good with almost any other color! Looks like it'll really pop.
mb911
Is that purple? And the gas tank as well?

Looks great. I opted for yellow zinc on most of my parts..
green914
Yes it's purple. blink.gif huh.gif
mepstein
Cool, show car look.
Amphicar770
Looks great.

Can't tell from the pic but if you did the small pieces that go against cylinders on bottom, it will start melting, smoking, stinking. Had to strip those and use high temp paint.

I have always wondered if you can powder coat a fuel tank interior?? Guessing you just did the exterior?
Krieger
Was this in honor of Prince? biggrin.gif
Larmo63
Dang, all you need is a blacklight and some strippers.
Krieger
QUOTE(snakemain @ Dec 31 2016, 03:25 PM) *

That's gonna look good with almost any other color! Looks like it'll really pop.

agree.gif

cary
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 31 2016, 06:42 PM) *

Dang, all you need is a blacklight and some strippers.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
green914
"I have always wondered if you can powder coat a fuel tank interior?? Guessing you just did the exterior?"

The interior of the tank was sealed by Gas Tank Re-New, And then powder coated.
green914
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Dec 31 2016, 05:54 PM) *

Looks great.

Can't tell from the pic but if you did the small pieces that go against cylinders on bottom, it will start melting, smoking, stinking. Had to strip those and use high temp paint.

I have always wondered if you can powder coat a fuel tank interior?? Guessing you just did the exterior?

And Yes, I did the small pieces that go against the cylinders on the bottom. Lucky I have a spare set of engine tins I can use.

Thanks,
Jerry
stugray
How much$$??

I took JUST my 10 engine tins in to a local and he wanted $400.

I am painting them myself now.
forrestkhaag
A shop local to us in SoCal wants 100 buck for all tins on a 6.

Colorado is getting you for other "fees" rolled up in a 400 dollar price tag. Shop around or move the work to Arizona. At a place near our home in Scottsdale, they get 65 bucks for the same fine job in a variety of colors in an industrial grade power coat... WTF.gif
mepstein
Sometimes you have to shop around. I had a good powder coater. He would do a ton of stuff for ~ $100. He got more expensive and unreliable. Gotta find someone new.
mbseto
Wow, even the engine mount bar. Looks great, can't wait to see it on the car. Did you have some criteria to decide what to include?
malcolm2
I spy, with my little eye....... something PURPLE!
McMark
You PCed the alternator mounting bracket. Make sure the alternator body has a ground path. Either clean portions of that bracket, or add a ground cable from the alt to the engine/fan-housing.
green914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 3 2017, 06:53 AM) *

You PCed the alternator mounting bracket. Make sure the alternator body has a ground path. Either clean portions of that bracket, or add a ground cable from the alt to the engine/fan-housing.

I will take care of that. Any other idea.gif thoughts more than welcome.
Thanks,
Jerry
Amphicar770
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 1 2017, 08:41 PM) *

Sometimes you have to shop around. I had a good powder coater. He would do a ton of stuff for ~ $100. He got more expensive and unreliable. Gotta find someone new.

Same happened here. The first batch of stuff I took to the guy I was shocked at how low the price was. I thus brought him a second batch and did not even ask what it would cost. Shame on me, I was even more shocked when he handed me the bill for that batch which was wayyyyy higher than it should have been. Always get a quote up front.
Robnxious
Looks fantastic. Was that done here in town Jerry, and if so, who?
green914
QUOTE(Robnxious @ Jan 3 2017, 09:20 AM) *

Looks fantastic. Was that done here in town Jerry, and if so, who?

Yes, done in Sacramento by American Stripping Co.. I have used them for past projects, and been very happy with their work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.