Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: to freshing up 1995 3.6 engine 993
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
This winter I am going to pull my 3.6 engine out of my '95 993 cab. The engine has 90k on it and it has a "ticking" sound. I think it is a bad hydraulic lifter. While we are in there I am wondering what else I should do.

I will do a compression test and leak down test before pulling engine. That should tell me if new rings or valves need to be redone. Do I do a full top end tear down or do I work on just the heads and pistons that show some lack of compression or leak down?

What should be freshened up or replaced so I can get another 90k out of my car. I have had this car since 1997 when I bought it with 6k miles on it.

I am planning on getting a new exhaust and chip for it. From what I read there isn't a cheaper way of getting more horsepower out of it. I have read going 3.8 isn't really worthwhile.

any ideas welcome.

Thanks,
Buck
mb911
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Dec 31 2016, 03:59 PM) *

This winter I am going to pull my 3.6 engine out of my '95 993 cab. The engine has 90k on it and it has a "ticking" sound. I think it is a bad hydraulic lifter. While we are in there I am wondering what else I should do.

I will do a compression test and leak down test before pulling engine. That should tell me if new rings or valves need to be redone. Do I do a full top end tear down or do I work on just the heads and pistons that show some lack of compression or leak down?

What should be freshened up or replaced so I can get another 90k out of my car. I have had this car since 1997 when I bought it with 6k miles on it.

I am planning on getting a new exhaust and chip for it. From what I read there isn't a cheaper way of getting more horsepower out of it. I have read going 3.8 isn't really worthwhile.

any ideas welcome.

Thanks,
Buck

I would have the heads redone and that's about it. The bottom end should be good for another 100k.
SirAndy
Replace the belts inside the distributors. They are a wear item.
shades.gif
SirAndy
The engine has 90k on it and it has a "ticking" sound.

Does the ticking go away after a while?

Mine does that too when it sat for a while but it goes away when the engine has warmed up.
idea.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 31 2016, 07:10 PM) *

any ideas welcome.

Thanks,
Buck

I would have the heads redone and that's about it. The bottom end should be good for another 100k.

agree.gif
They often wear on the exhaust guides, intakes will likely be fine.
Steve
They notoriously leak oil. Oil return tubes and valve cover gaskets. Maybe cam chain cover gaskets too.
Steve
Check out p-car
http://p-car.com/diy/

I used this page a lot when I had my 993
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 31 2016, 05:00 PM) *

They notoriously leak oil. Oil return tubes and valve cover gaskets. Maybe cam chain cover gaskets too.

That would be part of the head rebuild.

My 964 leaked everywhere at 80k and it had been resealed at 60k.. The 3.6 is an interesting engine..
ClayPerrine
Replace the valve covers with aftermarket billet aluminum ones. They are notorious about warping. And they are cheaper than the factory ones too.

Also, the timing boxes and covers have been known to warp and leak. New ones are expensive at 800.00 a side, but replacing them is the only way to be sure they don't leak.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.