Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Top 3 Parts Vendors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer

I'm working on something and before I go too far I'm looking for some input from the group. Here is my question to you:

Who are your top 3 parts vendors that have everything (or most everything) that you need to keep your 914 on the road that also actively support the 914 community?

I'm having a hard time coming up with three simply because I am leery of AA (never dealt with them). But here is my list:

1. GPR
2. Pelican
3. ?

Mueller
HPH,
Pelican,
and GPR
Root_Werks
GPR
GPR
GPR
biggrin.gif

GPR
Pelican
Vertex? Cheap, little slow, but usually cheap.
ArtechnikA
actively support the 914 community

*that* narrows it down quite a bit...

on that basis, i'd hafta go with Rich Bontempi's High Performance House, even though i've never actually bought anything from there...

on the 'actually, personally useful' basis, it'd be a tossup between Performance Products, Paragon Products, and Stoddard.

my 914's have 2,0 flat-6's in them, and those guys have a good selection of the early 911 parts i need.

if you toss in the support factor, i guess it'd go to Paragon, because Jason has been incredibly helpful and does seem to work to find us the best available deal, even if the company doesn't make quite as big a deal of the 914 as it does some of the newer models in their national advertising. let's face it - there's a lot more margin in a $3000 993 Bilstein P9S kit than there is a pair of 914 rear dampers...
URY914
Home Depot biggrin.gif

Paul
SLITS
1. The Bird

2. Mid America

3. Any flippin' VW place
tat2dphreak
Pelican
aircooled.net (anything engine related anyway)
HPH

I haven't dealt with gpr yet, I'm sure I will in the future though....
mack914
PartsHeaven.....
ArtechnikA
oooh yeah.

which reminds me - Jim Breazeale at EASY.

big supporter on the 356 list...
jonwatts
I guess I'll let the dollars speak for themselves, in order of the amount of money spent:

- HPH
- Pelican
- EASY (with Paragon being a close tie)

I'd like to support GPR more but HPH is within driving distance and Pelican has a more complete online catalog (I don't like doing research by phone).

echocanyons
GPR
HPH
Pelican
ninefourteener
Ummmmm. Ebay!!! biggrin.gif

Otherwise, I've only ordered stuff from Tweeks (Mid America).... but they've always been good to me, had it to me quick, etc.
Allan
1. GPR
2. Pelican
3. Bart's Parts (VW)
Rusty
HPH
Paragon
Stoddards
Zims
jet1
Tweeks has been the most reliable for me so far. I also use ebay and Pelican.
type47
eurowebparts.com

i also get alot of stuff from busdepot.com because they're close.

(.... these because no one mentioned them. pelican, GPR,.....)

Aaron Cox
PP
GPR
Paragon

on my shit list
Aircooled.net
SGB
-914club classifieds
-Pelican
-Aircooled
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 28 2005, 02:49 PM)
PP
GPR
Paragon

on my shit list
Aircooled.net

what did AC.net do?!?! ohmy.gif

John was a great help to me!
MattR
Source (local vw shop)
pp
gpr and performance products in third
aveale
Did you say part vendors or

PARTS BENDERS - cause I am a good one of those!

Don't shoot me, but I have had good luck with AA.

I will look into this GPR group, as I have a list of stuff growing in my garage.

T

Dr. Roger
QUOTE (SGB @ Apr 28 2005, 12:01 PM)
re: avatar.

SGB:
I'm mezzamarized..... What? How did I get here?
jim912928
1. GPR
2. Pelican
3. Stoddard
4. mid america
guywan914
GPR
Restoration Design
Tangerine Racing
These are the people I have dealt with and can definately recommend.
greg.treadway
I vote for AutoAtlanta. 5% discount if you contact Greg directly and mention your club membership.
Brad Roberts
Something I think most of the people missed:

that also actively support the 914 community

Paul,

what did you mean by this ? So far.. only one has shown up to any events (AA/Treadway)

Yes some of the others have kicked in to support events, but "actively" ?

B
seanery
GPR
Paragon
Mid America

but also:
Engman
James Adams
Camp 914
Randal
Rich always has everything at HPH.

When they have the racing stuff I'm looking for: Summit

CB Performance has been good

Charles at LM Engineering.

Engine or related is of course Jake.

mikerose
GPR....... smilie_pokal.gif

Mike cool_shades.gif
Part Pricer
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 28 2005, 09:53 PM)
Something I think most of the people missed:

that also actively support the 914 community

Paul,

what did you mean by this ? So far.. only one has shown up to any events (AA/Treadway)

Yes some of the others have kicked in to support events, but "actively" ?

B

Well, believe it or not (this is going to sound like heresy here) the 914 community extends beyond this club. Yes, Greg has shown up and participated in the WCC, but I'm looking for more than that. I'm looking for vendors that have helped keep our cars on the road and have not been just a passive vendor.

I would say that Dave at GPR qualifies since he knows our cars extremely well, makes good sound recommendations, is customer-focused and has supported the 914 community well. GPR has also contributed to and sponsored events.

Pelican is the same. The tech articles are available to us when we need them. Wayne welcomes us invading his BBS whenever the club site goes down. And, they have sponsored DD in attending many 914-related events.

I've been clearing the way and I've got something that will "scratch the backs of the people that have scratched ours". I just want to make sure they are identified.
boxstr
CAMP 914 has sponsored events and been a Main sponsor for others. We have been the first to step up and contribute prizes, or funds for any and all of the 914 events that we have been asked to.
CAMP 914 doe's not have the vast parts inventory as the aft mentioned other BIG three, but then I havent seen all of them at the 914 specific events, AA did attend the WCC 2005.
To put it in to perspective, is bigger better. You decide.
CCLINAPRESWCC
greg.treadway
Buying from one vendor does not take anything away from the others and vice versa. AA has been in operation since 1978. I personally am a 914 enthusiast. I say be loyal to you car and keep it on the road and buy from all the vendors and see who you like. We all do different things well. I like all the 914 vendors and buy and sell to them all.

Number one priority: Keep your 914 going!!
seanery
The support given to run events like the Fall Foliage Classic from vendors like Craig Laughlin (Camp914), Mark Bland (Engman), James Adams (JWest Engineering), LN Engineering (CNavarro), 914 Parts & Appearance (morphenspectra) and many others has been very important to the success of the event. These folks step up with support, both $$ and parts donations that not only help to draw attendees, but to pay for food, drink, etc...

Please don't leave them off your list Paul.
tat2dphreak
I put aircooled and HPH on the list because they carry a lot more products for the 914... which was a criteria stated in the first post...

but I have bought MORE from other members and small vendors, and do so ANYTIME I can...

I have Eric's Brakes, a few things from Craig's CAMP(more to be bought soon), I've gotten stuff from James Adams and a lot from AMITY(morphenspectra) and I'll buy from any of these guys again!

I only buy from the big vendors when the small vendors don't have what I want... and used will not cut it(i.e. clutch kit, master cylinder) ... the big vendors keep our car on the road, the small vendors make it WORTH keeping on the road! they are the ones that help make this club worth while...

beerchug.gif
Part Pricer
QUOTE (seanery @ Apr 29 2005, 10:54 AM)
The support given to run events like the Fall Foliage Classic from vendors like Craig Laughlin (Camp914), Mark Bland (Engman), James Adams (JWest Engineering), LN Engineering (CNavarro), 914 Parts & Appearance (morphenspectra) and many others has been very important to the success of the event. These folks step up with support, both $$ and parts donations that not only help to draw attendees, but to pay for food, drink, etc...

Please don't leave them off your list Paul.

Sean,

Thanks to your comments and some of the others expressed by others here, I have slightly modifed my approach. I've made some changes to the preprocessor that I'm working on and I should be able to highlight the "little guy" when appropriate.

I'm glad that you made me rethink this.

Brad Roberts
Well, believe it or not (this is going to sound like heresy here) the 914 community extends beyond this club.

I would guess this is the largest 914 community.

But then I have to quantify what makes a "community" Does 5 people posting to a email group make a community ? Does having your front page of your BBS sit idle for more than 30 days make a community ?

These are questions I have been asking myself.

I would also like to know "how to" get everyone together instead of all the small splinter groups.

B
Rusty
Back on topic...

There are lots of good vendors out there. It really depends what you're looking for. I could have doubled the size of my little list.

If I'm looking for the most obscure 914 part... Stoddards will be my first phone call. Their factory connections and stockpile of parts are pretty significant. Besides, I've been to Stoddards - they are class personified. If I need to pick up the phone and order a part I need priority mailed same day - Rich at HPH has shown total willingness to help me out and is fair with shipping prices. If I have suspension concerns, Jason at Paragon is the man. Zims always treated me right when I was ordering parts for my 944 back in the old days. If I'm in Texas, I enjoy going there for stuff. AA has treated me right, especially when it comes to best price/matching on large orders.

It all depends on what you want, what's important to you, etc, etc. There are vendors that I don't care to deal with, but that's more a function of how I was treated when I talked to them.

-Rusty smoke.gif
J P Stein
[QUOTE=Brad Roberts,Apr 29 2005, 09:08 AM] [QUOTE].

I would also like to know "how to" get everyone together instead of all the small splinter groups.

B [/QUOTE]
1) Arrange some time off with my employer(with pay would be nice biggrin.gif )
2) Pay tow money
3) Free room & board for a week....& covered parking
4) free track or AX time
5) hit the lotto to pay for the above for 3000 guys. Maybe this should be #1 laugh.gif

BTW: I buy from whoever has the shit I need.....cept for AA
Dominic
1. EBS Racing
2. GPR
3. The Type 4 store
Brando
1. Porsche
2. Worlpac
3. IMC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.