Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shifter blues!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frankieshooz
OK...I know this topic has been explored, written about, pondered on etc...but I still really have not found a definitive answer.... SO if any of you genius' out there have a better answer or SOLUTION please expound..
As we all know, in stock form our little cars are unique, fun and fantastic driving machines...they are also (unfortunately) SHIFTING NIGHTMARES!!!! This car is so close to perfect until you get to the transmission/driveline. What is up with that?
I can no longer shift my car into first or reverse while the car is running. I have to literally turn off ignition, put the car into gear, and then start her back up again to get going. Fine when I'm on the highway not so good in town when I come to a stop. SOOOO what gives?!!
bushings? clutch tube? synchros? sliders? clutch? This is driving (and not smoothly) me nuts. Why has no one figured out how to mate (Blasphemy?) a Miata (or the like) transmission to our fine little air cooled gem...do any one of the aftermarket products actually work (looking at shift linkage kit from Tangerine Racing) is the stock transmission worth saving? keeping? or even fixable? Help......looking at my car is no longer enough I want to drive through the canyons shifting smoothly, wind blowing thru my receding hairline, with a hot blonde (my dog) enjoying a Sunday drive together, instead my right bicep getting a workout...
ndfrigi
Happy New Year!

I want to share my experienced with my 75 1.8. When I first able to drive mine last 2011, I have no 1st gear (popping out) for more than a year driving it but I'm getting issue downshifting to 2nd gear (grinding). Tried replacing all bushings along the shifter from engine firewall all the to way to the transmission console. Well, there is an improvement but still no 1st gear and still grinding downshifting to 2nd gear. Then I was able to replaced my transmission from my spare one and yes I was able to have 1st gear working but still have the 2nd gear problem. Checked again all my bushings but still didn't fix the 2nd gear grinding. Then next, I was able to buy a used transmission (rebuilt tranny and seller said it is a perfect working transmission, well I just trusted the seller about it) and after installing the transmission, all gears are working and didn't do any adjustment on the shift lever.

About the stock transmission? I believed it is a very well sorted transmission as long everything is working well. Not sure if you already check or replace all your shifter bushings from shifter lever all the way to tranny console. If everything is in proper condition, maybe your transmission needs rebuilt and definitely Dr. Evil (transmission expert) can help you rebuilt it.

Just sharing!
sixaddict
not sure you have gone through this but clutch cable can stretch or be close to breaking where it exits firewall...Track car will sometimes do this...Adjust/replace cable and fixed....PS you will trash 1st gear if you force it evilgrin.gif
mlindner
Could it be, 1st gear slider and synchro is really gone......if so, that is on the outer end of trany and can be easily replaced. Best, Mark
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(frankieshooz @ Jan 1 2017, 10:23 PM) *

I can no longer shift my car into first or reverse while the car is running. I have to literally turn off ignition, put the car into gear, and then start her back up again to get going. Fine when I'm on the highway not so good in town when I come to a stop. SOOOO what gives?!!

Clutch. Adjust it so the free-play (measured by pulling the pedal forward against the spring in the pedal cluster) is in spec. If 1st/rev still grinds, it is likely that the sliders/dog teeth have been damaged by driving with a mis-adjusted clutch. Repairs for that are very possible, but can be expensive depending on exactly what needs to be replaced and if you are paying for the labor.

Make sure that the trans end of the cable is double-nutted; I have found that Nyloc nuts loosen up after a little while in this application. And single regular nuts will slowly back off and leave you in this same situation again.

If you have the cable end double-nutted, and it still goes out of adjustment, pull the carpet off the center tunnel and look inside for the clutch cable tube. See if the cable moves side to side when you push the pedal, and also check where the cable comes through the firewall.

Shifting can be made pretty decent. But it will never be Miata-precise, the linkage is just too long.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.