Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black outside door handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tbox56
I am looking for a way to black out my exterior door handles, but don't want it to look tacky next week, so rattle can is out of the question.

I've heard of "Black Chrome" but the information out on the inter-webs is shaky at best, and I can't find anyone locally who knows anything about it, or can do it.

I have thought about powder coating, but figured I should get some input from the community before I did anything. Has anyone been down this road before?

Thanks,
Thomas
Mark Henry
First slap.gif get your head out of the 80's !

2nd you would have to disassemble the whole handle, remove the chrome and then powder coat, regular paints won't stand up. Anything else will look like crap once it starts to wear.
JFG
Toyed with the idea for mine but left them chrome in the end.

One of the best solutions I found would be

https://plastidip.com

Mark Henry
Dip is great stuff, but it won't hold up for long on the handles.

But it could be used temporary and then stripped off...... when you see what a mistake you are making. shades.gif happy11.gif
JmuRiz
PMS did one, very cool skinny fender build.
Mark Henry
meh....dechromed it then used chrome bumpers laugh.gif
tbox56
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 2 2017, 11:59 AM) *

First slap.gif get your head out of the 80's !

That's why i want to black them lol-2.gif

I already have them disassembled, and I know a chrome shop that is willing to strip them for a reasonable price, I'm thinking powder coat is the best option, I would need to keep it off the back where the slider rides.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 2 2017, 11:12 AM) *

F'glass painted silver
tbox56
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 2 2017, 12:12 PM) *

Body colored bumpers, Nordic Gold, It should look really good, IMHO. I should be able to find black lock caps also.

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 2 2017, 12:09 PM)

Any idea what they used to do that?
tbox56
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 2 2017, 12:09 PM) *

Never mind, Found the build thread, DuPont 2 stage paint. I wonder how it has held up. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.