Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 restoration help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
OK, it looks like the PO left some rust when they painted the car! fighting19.gif Well, I am contemplating replacing the front fenders and doing this project the right way! I need any info or pictures on removing and replacing the front fenders. Do you just cut off the old ones smooth out the lip and mount the replacements? I have to start somewhere! smash.gif

Jeff
JWest
I have a couple of fenders that have been removed - I can take pics if it will help you see where the seams are.

But basically you are correct - cut, trim, weld.
Jeffs9146
Any info or pictures would help!

Thanks James!

Jeff
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Jeffs74~914 @ Jun 27 2003, 08:20 AM)
I have to start somewhere! smash.gif

Jeff

Why don't you start by replacing that faded antenna ball.
You can get a cool one at Jack in the Box for 99 cents. clown.gif
Jeffs9146
lol laugh.gif

happy11.gif devil.gif gunner.gif lol2.gif mad.gif unsure.gif wacko.gif blink.gif barf.gif driving.gif icon14.gif

Which one should I get??

Jeff
Bleyseng
How bad are the rest of the fenders? Geez, looks like you could just cut and weld in a little piece of metal to fix that instead of replacing the fenders.
Geoff
vortrex
would be interesting to dip that car and see what you come up with.
Jeffs9146
I don't know how much filler bondo they put in it and when I started grinding it went deeper than 1". So I wouldnt be able to protect it inside from the rust that may have already started farther down the fender. The rears look ok but the front both look like they filled holes in the same spots!

Yes, I thought about dipping it!

Jeff
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Jeffs74~914 @ Jun 27 2003, 08:42 AM)
Which one should I get??

Jeff

I did a search on eBay and there were 1566 different ones for sale.
I refined the search to "Porsche Antenna Ball" and this was the only match.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2421302501
Bleyseng
Check the fenders and cowl with a small magnet to find the bondo spots. Or look at the fenders from underneath to locate bad repairs.

Geoff
L8Apex
haha. magnet trick. If you did that on my car, it will never stick to it. Too much bondo!
Jeffs9146
Nice balls Vegas! lol That would be perfect! I think I will hold out for a real one sitting next to me!!

The flares are fiberglass so there is lots of body work. I tried the magnet and it wasn't as bad as I thought but it has been bondoed from the inside in that fender also.

Jeff
Jeffs9146
Decided to jump in and see if there was any rust under the rockers!! Surprise, not a trace yet!
rolling.gif
Jeff
ChrisFoley
Now that's what I like to see for an inner rocker panel. However, just to be sure, it is wise to tap on the lower part of the rocker with a pointed hammer to look for thin spots. It is possible for them to rot from the inside out without any visible evidence.
The other hole is a fairly common rust problem area, and a tough spot to cure rust because of the shape underneath, ie. no access from the back side. I suggest patching it again instead of contemplating fender replacement, especially since you have flares already on the car.
Jeffs9146
I tapped the rocker and it feels and sounds solid as a rock!

I ground the fender more and did find the edge of the metal but the bondo is deep! and the metal is fairly rotten. I think I will try to cut out a 3"-4" square and get a better idea of the damage before I make my decision to replace it!

I would still like to see some pictures of what the car looks like without the fenders attached so I can get some idea of what I am in for!

Thanks for your feedback!

Jeff
Gint
Hey Jeff! 'Grats!

I've been mostly away from the board this week. I saw the pic in the Members 914 Pictures thread. You found a /6 eh? How much? Where? You know the drill.

I don't know of many pics of 914 fenders. I have seen a few pics of 914 with the fenders removed. Let me look through some old links.

I wouldn't go diggin too far for rust unless you're ready to really get into it. Drive the car and enjoy it for a while first.
Gint
This site has some good pics:

914/6 resto link
urbanskater
I've been haviong the same problems, except in different regions of the car. What I normally do is take a dremel tool, with a sanding stone for oxidized metal sand it down till the metal is all brand new and shiny. Once its shiny i apply a light coat of rust protection/killer, to seal it or get any small spots i missed. Then, of course it will be uneven, so I go and to a local store and buy this stuff called all metal(you have to mix it right or it will come off) and sand it down to the normal shape of the body. Now of course if it goes all the way throiugh you might want to take the whole, cut and weld trip.
Jeffs9146
Thanks Gint! Those pics are helpful but nothing close up of the whole fender bead.

Yep I finally did it! #9140432344

This is the guy with the "914-6 with full race package" thread earlier. He wanted $25,000! I thought, I have to see this car, because it was in Pacifica. When I looked at it originally I told him maybe $8,000-$12,000 for the right person. He called me the next day and said he was purchasing a house and needed the money. If I came by today and paid him $10,000 he would take it. I said that was too much for me to get involved but I would make the trip for $7000. He took it and I picked the car up that evening.

Full Race Package Thread

urbanskater

My problem with that methode of repair is that it wont address the rust lower down in the fender or the stuff on the inside of the patched area. You know it must be messed up in there!! Well I have plenty of time to figure it out, so keep the thoughts comming!

Jeff
Gint
I said that was too much for me to get involved but I would make the trip for $7000.

Score!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.