Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hi/Lo Idle Working Opposite
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Been having this problem of high idle (1200 - 1400) can't find vacuum leaks what with all the replacement stuff I've done.
I did find if I depress & hlold the gas 1/8th of an inch until I feel a "click" the idle goes down to normal (900 - 1000). idea.gif

I thought by re-adjusting the TPS I would cure this.... NOT!

Anyone know what is causing this?

CHT checks out ok (fairly new) & don't know why it would have any bearing on this.

I have a different throttle body on the car but the original one did this too. I can make this happen with my foot on the gas peddal or by pushing the throttle arm with my finger in the engine bay. Move it slightly & the RPM's go down. Release it & they go back up. Slack is in the cable... been thinking about taking all the slack out until the car idles where I want it huh.gif

.......b
ArtechnikA
my *guess* is that you're right to suspect it's in the TPS.

unless you're on the idle contact, the ECU will not be controlling the idle with the mixture adjust-screw circuit. there has to be a way to know (electrically) if you're on the idle contact or not, and there should be a way to mechanically set the idle stop at the TPS.

you might be able to get away with no slack in the linkage if you had solid engine and transmission mounts, otherwise every little bit of torque rock will dither the throttle and i think that'd get undriveable in a hurry...
SirAndy
also, your AUX air valve could be stuck, try blocking it off and see if that helps ...

wink.gif Andy
Bruce Allert
ArtechnikA Posted on Apr 28 2005, 11:23 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my *guess* is that you're right to suspect it's in the TPS.

you might be able to get away with no slack in the linkage if you had solid engine and transmission mounts, otherwise every little bit of torque rock will dither the throttle and i think that'd get undriveable in a hurry...  

Very good thinking... the engine & tranny are on stock mounts so there would definetly be some rockin goin on. I need to get my glasses on & look really hard at what's going on.

SirAndy Posted on Apr 28 2005, 11:26 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
also, your AUX air valve could be stuck, try blocking it off and see if that helps ...

Andy, I have checked the AAR several times & it's closing tight.

It's a really strange situation or, rather, how the throttle body is making the situation work in reverse... give slight throttle & idle goes down wacko.gif

.........b

Bruce Allert
beer.gif U P D A T E beer.gif

I changed out the 003 CHT (fairly new one) with the older 012 (suggested by Brad Anders) and it runs smoother. Still has that strange lowering of the idle when I depress the gas an 1/8th of an inch but it's better running overall.

I tried moving the stop in the TPS (the nub that stops the arm) so it advanced the position of the arm forward an 1/8th thinking this would put the position of idle in it's right spot... it did nothing sad.gif I then unplugged the TPS and it still did the lower idle thing when moving the gas an 1/8th so it's not the TPS.

This is strange blink.gif

.........b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.