Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: distributor shaft end play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian_Boss
Coming out of lurk mode since I bought another 914. I bought the car (71 1.7) non-running and it's my first fuel injected 914 so it should be an education to get it going.

Question is, how much end play (axial play) should the distributor shaft have and what sets the clearance? I'm troubleshooting a no spark condition.

Thanks
tat2dphreak
glad to see another DFW'r on!! come to the breakfast saturday if you can!

sorry that I don't know the answer to your question
mihai914
I don't have a spec for you, but I believe a good distributor should have close to nothing play in the shaft.

But it should not keep the car from running, did you change the points, even if they look good they can be bad, check all connections to the coil.

Mihai
Mueller
excessive radial play should have more of an impact on the points than axial play.....switching to electronic ignition greatly reduces the problems due to shaft wear.

Brian_Boss
I know it would be pretty hard for axial play to make the car not run. At this stage I'm trying to decide whether or not to toss this piece and get a used or rebuilt dizzy.

The current one has several issues including sticky mechanical advance, rusty points cam surface and only one screw holding the vacuum can on.

Also, the part number on the housing ends in 019. Is this the correct distributor for a 1.7?

Thanks.

Wayne - I doubt I will get the car running by this weekend but I would to come out there in whatever is running that day.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Brian_Boss @ Apr 28 2005, 02:57 PM)
I know it would be pretty hard for axial play to make the car not run. At this stage I'm trying to decide whether or not to toss this piece and get a used or rebuilt dizzy.

The current one has several issues including sticky mechanical advance, rusty points cam surface and only one screw holding the vacuum can on.

Also, the part number on the housing ends in 019. Is this the correct distributor for a 1.7?

Thanks.

Wayne - I doubt I will get the car running by this weekend but I would to come out there in whatever is running that day.

hell my car's on jackstands still too!! laugh.gif

the chrysler will get me there though...

be sure and let spare time toys know, he's heading up the reservations!
spare time toys
He is on the updated list. wink.gif
beemie96
I just went through the 'non-start' issue, and what did it for me was testing the coil with the points closed and with them open. Once I did that and verified that it all worked, I discovered that the points werent set right. Also, cleaning them made a huge difference in the voltage at the coil.

My threads on this:

help from the list on my 'spark' questions

got it started
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.