Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Hand Lever Interference with Appearance Group Console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkb944t
I installed the throttle hand lever last night and then tried to test fit the appearance group console tonight. I found that the throttle lever is too far forward to work as designed with the console.

Click to view attachment

Has anyone run into this situation before and found a solution?

I am considering turning the throttle lever around 180 degrees but I am not sure yet if this would work correctly or not. Too tired tonight to figure anything out but was hopeful someone had dealt with this already.

Jeff B
Mikey914
Interesting. As the consul was originally fro the later cars it was never really an "issue".
Looks like one of my consuls. If so I'd be willing to work with you to make a custom one.
Mark
Dave_Darling
The Six was the only 914 with a hand throttle. The center console available on the Six was the "deposit box" type, and did not extend back to the shifter. So late console and the and throttle were never meant to go together.

Take Mark up on his offer; it will probably get you the nicest and cleanest solution possible.

--DD
jkb944t
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 3 2017, 08:38 PM) *

Interesting. As the consul was originally fro the later cars it was never really an "issue".
Looks like one of my consuls. If so I'd be willing to work with you to make a custom one.
Mark

Mark, You are correct that it is one of your consuls that I got just after Thanksgiving from you along with your throttle lever kit. I will definitely take you up on the custom offer once I have a better look at what options I have for modifying the lever travel.

Thanks, Jeff B
Mikey914
I'm thinking modifying the consul is the best option. I have a 75 with carbs so might as well prototype on mine.
wes
I'm all ears to see the salutation.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 4 2017, 05:51 AM) *

I'm thinking modifying the consul is the best option. I have a 75 with carbs so might as well prototype on mine.

popcorn[1].gif

I have the same issue (but factory Appearance Group console and carbs).
jkb944t
Last night I rotated the hand throttle 180 degrees to see if that helped. It helped some but still would have interference with the vertical gauge board.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then I tried shifting the vertical gauge board on the console forward at the bottom and it looks like this combination might work. I would just need to move the vertical gauge board support forward and then make a new longer version of the horizontal board.

Click to view attachment

I still need to do some more test fitting to determine the exact length increase of the horizontal board that covers the shifter.

Jeff B
ChrisFoley
Tangerine Racing Hand Throttle Kit
idea.gif
wes
So is the tangerine Racing one different?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(wes @ Jan 5 2017, 12:50 PM) *

It functions identically to the original, but mounts in a different place on the tunnel,
thus eliminating interference with the console.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 5 2017, 09:44 AM) *

It functions identically to the original, but mounts in a different place on the tunnel,

Hmm, that one looks like it might work in my '66 912. I have one of Mark's on my '74 w/carbs and wanted one for my 912 but it would have to occupy the same space as the heater lever. There's no reason yours won't fit a 912 is there, Chris?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Jan 5 2017, 01:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 5 2017, 09:44 AM) *

Hmm, that one looks like it might work in my '66 912. I have one of Mark's on my '74 w/carbs and wanted one for my 912 but it would have to occupy the same space as the heater lever. There's no reason yours won't fit a 912 is there, Chris?

I don't know enough about the 912 tunnel to answer.
smj
Long term, I'd be interested in a solution to allow a later console on an factory -6 with original hand throttle. Not ready for it today, there's a cassette+EQ hung below the dash...
mark04usa
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 3 2017, 11:35 PM) *

The Six was the only 914 with a hand throttle.
--DD

The 914/4 with Sportomatic option (a rare beast) also had the hand throttle. driving.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jan 5 2017, 01:02 PM) *

The 914/4 with Sportomatic option (a rare beast) also had the hand throttle. driving.gif

As far as series production goes, it was a non-existent beast. There were rumors that some prototype existed, but it was likely crushed decades ago.

--DD
bdstone914
How about a,syraight lever like is ised on a 911 hand throttle?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.