Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spare tire hold down bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
Are there different length spare tire hold down bolts? Mine doesn't seem to secure the alloy wheel fully in place even with the plate flipped over.....

bradtho
I've wondered the same thing as I have the same issue.
raynekat
What size tires are on the spares?
Frankvw
yes, I thought I did read on the forum that there are different sizes bolts.
I did a search and yes....see in this post:
See http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=296579&hl=
914Sixer
Over the years 924,944 and 911 bolts have been used to secure the spare tire. This could be part of the problem. The bolts from these cars is longer.
mepstein
Tire is probably wider than stock.
Cal
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 4 2017, 07:58 AM) *

Tire is probably wider than stock.

All the tires are stock size and width 165S15.

Ansbacher
Can you add a couple of washers as spacers?
Mike Bellis
I cut mine down and machined the tip to a point. Fits fine now.
bradtho
so these came from the factory this way? seems strange that so many wouldn't be correct length to secure the spare
malcolm2
one does look longer than the other.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Years ago I cut out the "nut" piece from a JY car. I have been meaning to weld it in my car, but never have.

I guess I am saying I don't use a hold down, is that a big deal?
brant
I don't know this for certain...

but always assumed that with a steel wheel spare the longer bolt would work just fine

and so many of these cars came with steel wheels (sometimes placed there by the dealer even) that I assumed the dealers changed the bolt to work with the wheel and narrow tire they were selling

today, everyone puts a 5th alloy wheel into the well that has a much different tire than came on these cars stock

I assumed that was the reason the stock bolts often don't work.
pete000
FYI: The early cars had a different version a wing nut style bolt.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jan 4 2017, 03:40 PM) *

FYI: The early cars had a different version a wing nut style bolt.

Correct.........here be a pic of an OEM fastening bolt for a 1970
914Next
Cal,

Here is a pic of my original bolt and plate for my '73. Does yours bolt appear longer?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Cal - I found one in my stash. If you want it, pm me your address. I'll ship it out in the am. No charge, it's an extra. Mark.
pbanders
My car has a 5-lug conversion and 15x8 Fuchs all round. But for 30 years, I've had the same crappy spare my PO left me, so I recently bought a 15x7 cookie cutter and a 215/60-15 for a real spare. However, the old hold-down bolt wasn't long enough, so I extended it by going to ACE and buying a coupler and a bolt with the same thread pitch. Cut down the bolt to the right length, put on the coupler, and voila. Cost me under $2.
bdstone914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 4 2017, 07:16 PM) *

Cal - I found one in my stash. If you want it, pm me your address. I'll ship it out in the am. No charge, it's an extra. Mark.

That early bolt is the shorter version. What is the length of the bolt you have? Might be a 924 or 944 bolt.
Bruce
Cal
QUOTE(914Next @ Jan 4 2017, 08:08 PM) *

Cal,

Here is a pic of my original bolt and plate for my '73. Does yours bolt appear longer?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the photo Steve. Well, after looking at mine again it appears that the metal washer on the bolt has just moved and shifted up the shaft. I'm surprised that it wasn't welded or anchored better to the bolt. I'll see if I can find a new one.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.