Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder/case seal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Keith914
My recently rebuilt Type IV is leaking oil between the cylinders and the case. This engine is now a 2.4 L (was 1.7) with no gaskets or shims between the cylinders and the case -- common practice. So what is the best sealant and best method of application?
McMark
I use Loctite 518 there. Applied with an acid brush. If it squeezes out the sides, you used WAY too much.
colingreene
that^
that said i know fat uses 1211
injunmort
hylamar blue
iankarr
old tried and true permatex aviation. Jake uses it in his video, but that was admittedly a long time ago wink.gif.
IronHillRestorations
I used the lower cylinder sealing rings on the few type IV's I've built. Could be the sealing surface of the case has dropped a little, I could see where sealant would be beneficial.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jan 4 2017, 08:35 PM) *

Could be the sealing surface of the case has dropped a little...

Every engine I build I now see the deck out .002-.005.

These are 40+ year old cases shades.gif
forrestkhaag
Yamabond 4 is my engine-builder pal's choice and notes that in his race experience, it holds up in cylinder to case applications that see 10K rpms regularly. This goo is a silicone based liquid gasket that fills gaps on a flange surface and prevents leaks. When cured, this product forms a rubber-like body that resists heat and seals joints subjected to high temperature. It is gear and engine oil resistant, Yamabond 4 Motorsports sets in 60 minutes so you have time to work with it if chasing rings etc.

beerchug.gif
Keith914
Thanks for all the advice. Yamabond it will be beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jan 5 2017, 04:14 PM) *

Yamabond 4 is my engine-builder pal's choice

Yamabond 4 is the same thing as Threebond 1215, might be 1211, both of which are RTV.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.