Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Future WCC activity poll
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
At the 1st WCC we did an autocross. This year we got to play on a race track. Which did you like better? What would you rather do in the future? No promises either way. Just trying to get a feel to help future planners.
merrill
Now that is forward thinking ohmy.gif If people think Reno over Vegas, we could pursue either track or AX, or both aktion035.gif
Jenny
I voted AX. I think there are enough newbies that attend these events that AX teaches them plenty without going in over their heads. It's a good stepping stone from daily driver/garage queen to any sort of competitive driving. Of course, I'm biased since I didn't do the track event this year (those track fees kill ya!)

Jen
Mike D.
In the "old clubs" (I know some of you have herd me say that before) we also used to have parking lot games with our cars. Like, "Stop on a Dime" contest, or "Blindfolded back up into a space" contest.

It might be fun to try and resurect some of these on one of the non track days, and because we never leave the parking lot you can do them while drinking. biggrin.gif

-Mike D.
merrill
In the Reno area there are a few good places for races clap.gif We could do a track day at Fernley $150. per person for the day. We could check into 2 different AX locations, one in Stead which is just N of Reno, the other at Squaw Valley just W of Reno in the BEAUTIFUL mountains! (read very close to home). Could both be achievable?
Jenny
Dad Brad has some stories like that. Driving an AX blindfolded with a navigator, doing a course backwards with a trailer hitched to your van, etc... I think these require two things: Big balls, and shitty car. biggrin.gif

Jen
Andyrew
Once you go track, you never go back.

I wouldnt mind a autox day for the morning, and a track day for the night.

it would be cool.... Run either or run both... Park on the track for the morning and set up cones... and park in the parking lot in the evening and run the track...

Just an idea.
Demick
Originally, I didn't think track time was even feasible for our little club. Howard proved me wrong. Streets of Willow was a blast and I'd take that over an autocross in a second. However, not many tracks are as well suited to a large beginner group. Track costs, insurance, safety are all big concerns. The organizers have to consider all of this stuff. I'd pretty much be happy with whatever type of driving event that can be organized.

I was actually thinking that it might be fun to do drag races. Obviously these aren't drag racing cars (most of them that is), but it would be pretty fun to do some head-to-head drag racing. Fun for bragging rights too. Probably cheaper and much safer to rent a drag strip than a track too.

Demick
Andyrew
Drag racing sounds like fun!

I should have my cv's and such ready by then for such a grueling event....

I might even get a NOS setup just in case!! muha ha...

SirAndy
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Apr 28 2005, 12:02 PM)
What would you rather do in the future?

i'd rather bring my *own* car instead of breaking someone elses (sorry Andy huh.gif ) ...

the track was fun, the AX was fun too, so i'm kind of on the fence.
if we do a track day again, we need to take lap-times ...

driving.gif Andy
Andyrew
Yes, lap times would have been nice....

I got in the habit of taking the car easy on the straights and certain places, and focusing on others very hard.....

Having a timed lap would have pushed me much harder...

Andrew
Howard
Let's just all build R/C cars. Or race lawnmowers or rental cars. It's the full throttle guys! Ya don't need to keep score.
drew365
Having a timed lap would have pushed me much harder...

That was why we didn't have a timer for this event. That and I couldn't find one. wink.gif
MattR
QUOTE (Howard @ Apr 28 2005, 03:44 PM)
Let's just all build R/C cars.

biggrin.gif

Finially something I could win at

(been racing since i was 12, been paid to do it for the last few years)

My vote is for a track day. Autox is cool, but they are held almost every weekend. Hopefully I'll have a car by then for the track screwy.gif
smrz914
I've done one of each. I liked the track time better. I like the pace but not the fees. I wouldn't be adverse to an AX though.
LvSteveH
AX can be done on a regular basis by just about everyone, but getting on a big track once a year should be something to look forward to and save up for. Obviously the fees can add up, but I think it would be worth it, especially if it is timed!

biggrin.gif
ThinAir
I'll take whatever the organizers of the next event can put together. I've never had the chance to run my teener on any kind of course. Getting to take some laps at a place like Laguna Seca or Willow Springs sounds really cool for someone like me that enjoys watching ALMS on TV, but I'm sure that AX is a blast as well. Either way, you'll get nothing but thanks from me.
Verruckt
QUOTE (Howard @ Apr 28 2005, 05:44 PM)
Let's just all build R/C cars. Or race lawnmowers....

That sounds like an awesome and fun idea. That is, until Raby shows up with a one liter, dtm'd Briggs and Stratton. rolleyes.gif lol2.gif
Bleyseng
I think a AX is a great WCC event although track time is gud!
CptTripps
QUOTE (MattR @ Apr 28 2005, 08:02 PM)
been racing since i was 12, been paid to do it for the last few years

For who? I've got lots of friends in the RC industry...
PatW
Autocross. (With or with out second driver holding a throttle cable) biggrin.gif
Track day.
Blindfolded parking
Drag race.

Maybe wishfull thinking but, screwy.gif sounds like a series of events to me. wavey.gif do them all and may the best driver win. smile.gif
dekman
Have done several runways and parking lot AX's... but there's nothing better than "a real banked race track"! However, getting together with all you guys(and gals) was the most fun! Hey....how about Vegas...cheap hotels and food(and big parking lots for whatever), Las Vegas Motor speedway(track), gambling, indoor skydiving(safe), several amusement parks, cheap air fares to get there(for the Europeans), driving trips to Lake Mead/Hoover dam/etc. ... and all within several miles of each other. Just a thought.......... driving.gif
MattR
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Apr 28 2005, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (MattR @ Apr 28 2005, 08:02 PM)
been racing since i was 12, been paid to do it for the last few years

For who? I've got lots of friends in the RC industry...

PTI racing. Im a designer/engineer/racer. We're a new company as of ~2 years ago. We probably know the same people... its a small world
McMark
I voted AX. That track was a little overwhelming for me. I should have grabbed an instructor. Of course I plan on attending a lot more AX this season, so hopefully next time a track is available I'll be more prepared.

I really like the idea of drag racing. That would be fun.
nebreitling
track time is always a blast, and i'll always join in, but AX is definitely more approachable to newbies, thus it has my vote.

that said, the streets at willow was perfect, and very well run.

btw i agree about the 'no timed laps' policy. keeps everyone cool; nothing to prove; staying within their known limits.

there are countless other track events out there for those who really want to push harder (like me!).

my 02
Howard
And while we're at it, how important was the social agenda? The catering, meetings, facility rental, karaoke etc. Was that as big or bigger deal than the track/AX?
J P Stein
Timed laps with other cars on the course is "racing". Your auto insurance disappears...including liability. Even DEs are iffy. You get one "incident" and they'll prolly cancel you....from what I've heard.
GWN7
QUOTE (Howard @ Apr 30 2005, 08:17 AM)
And while we're at it, how important was the social agenda? The catering, meetings, facility rental, karaoke etc. Was that as big or bigger deal than the track/AX?

The best part of 05 was the parking lot GT's. (and car repair)

I stayed out of the karaoke because I sing like a wounded seal (when your 4 yr old puts his hand over your mouth and says "Dad your ruining the song" you know you have no future in music). biggrin.gif

The catering was great because it was one less thing to worry about (ok, have to pack a lunch because were going somewhere), but it would have worked just as well if we went to a resturant (even tho past experiance has shown even tho given lots of time that a group is coming some resturants can't deal with a large group decending on them enmass). The In & Out trailer worked great because they are set up to handle a large crowd.

Another option to feed large crowds is a BBQ trailer. There are small caters who will travel to your location and feed the group (pig roasts, burgers, dogs). There is even a fire dept in the Dallas area that has a old ladder truck made into a catering truck with beer dispencers (yes I know that beer & tracks don't mix). wink.gif

See you in Portland beerchug.gif
Trekkor
I personally run 10 plus a/x events a year.
So the track time was a real treat.

If there is track time at the next WCC, I will 95% be there.
Without the track, I would have missed this year.

I like the idea of promoting something you can't/don't do every weekend.

I'll drive 1000 miles for track time wacko.gif
A/X- 150 miles...
Drag Race- 20 miles

KT
mike_the_man
I'm fine with either. I have yet to AutoX the teener, or track it. I would maybe prefer the trak idea a little more, just because we don't really have access to one up here in Saskatchewan, but assuming my 914 wil make it to Portland, I'm willing to run whatever there is to run.

As far as the social stuff, that was my main reason for coming to the WCC. I had a great time at the Karoke party, although it ended way too early. Also, the In and Out Burger trailor was a great idea. Having a few catered meals was really great for me. It offset the cost a bit, and it was damn good food!

markb
I attend these functions for the social part. The track time was gravy. Howard, the catering, etc was done very well. I didn't notice a single glich, which is how it should be. I know many are heavy into AX & track, but that's not what brings me to these events. It's the people.
ArtechnikA
the Reno Hilton has a decent go-kart track, BTW ...

i know i can probably fix anything i can break at an AX before having to make the 2800-mi drive back home. this is not always the case at a highspeed track event... (BTDT with both...)
merrill
The Reno Hilton has 2 count that TWO go-cart tracks ohmy.gif One of them is a slick track. Every time my wife and i go, we LOAO for the whole first session. Then we LOAO for the next 2 and go home grinning from ear to ear. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.