Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The chrome bumper blues...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
On the way to the GG bridge, what do I see traveling towards the front of my 914 at 120 mph but a giant, shard-like piece of metal! ohmy.gif

Nothing to do but cringe. Pulled over and now have an inch-long ding in what was a clean, really nice bumper. mad.gif

It's never been rechromed and looked great, too. I can live with the scratch, but the ding will bug me every time I look at the thing. Anyone know if the paintless magicians can work with our front bumpers or is the metal too thick?

thanks,

pete
Andyrew
Its pretty thick... I'll tell ya that.

I tried to fix a bumper I had.. and the darn thing wouldnt do anything, no matter how much hammer I put to it.. But this was on a reinforced part...

Its possible..

Hammer and dolly might work, Heat shrinking the metal might work... Might mess up the chrome though..

Jenny
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Apr 28 2005, 01:56 PM)
no matter how much hammer I put to it..

Seriously? huh.gif That's how body work is done? with a BFH smash.gif I always thought there was gentle persuasion involved.

Pete, give Scott Yeaman's shop a call to get an estimate (650) 328-8169

Jen
Andyrew
It was a the end of the bumper, passanger side.. The bumper was hit their and it colapsed in a little bit, I wanted to see if I could get it to go back to normal, but the darn thing just wouldnt move! It had two flaps on the inside that were crunched a little as well, but its like 3 times stronger than regular steel, and just plain wouldnt move... lol
horizontally-opposed
Thanks Jen and Andrew... I'll give Scott a call.

Luckily, this is at the center of the bumper, in its thinest part. But I think that it's still a lot thicker/harder steel than the 914's body panels... sad.gif

Just wish we had a dent wizard who loved 914s...

pete
mikey
I think Scott uses Faith Bumper Service in Santa Clara.

Faith Bumper Service
1085 Di Giulio Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-986-1226
Fax: 408-986-1983

They told me they have a flat rate for 914 bumpers - about $375 to rechrome one bumper, IIRC. But they are picky as to what they'll work on. I thought bumper guys could work wonders with even badly dented bumpers. I brought what I thought was a decent early rear bumper to them with minor waviness and no real dents. They didn't want to do it, so I brought to where I had my body work done in Fresno.
mihai914
You should go to a chroming shop, not a bumper shop because they will send it to the chrome shop anyway.

When I had my bumper done, it had a good dent and they took it out, I think they use a press or english wheel? The guy told me that they could make the bumper straight if I wanted to.

I hope the scratch isn't too deep because it will start rusting in no time.

As a reference it cost me $200 CAN, to have the thing fixed and chromed and the guy new that it came from a Porsche, couldn't pull the old VW trick...

Mihai
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.