Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: fair market value for '59 356?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Co-workers deceased brother-in-law left a once diy'd restoration to his kid that has zero interest in the car, supposedly ran a few years ago and hasn't run in a bit, stored inside.

Trying to get pictures and more info. Co-worker said it was super clean and a nice driver and I believe him, no financial gain for him with the sale, he just wants to see it go to someone that will appreciate it and the wife and kid could use some money as most of us do.

Hagerty online quote seemed sort of useless since I could only find one model (356A) on their site.

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 4 2017, 08:14 PM) *

Co-workers deceased brother-in-law left a once diy'd restoration to his kid that has zero interest in the car, supposedly ran a few years ago and hasn't run in a bit, stored inside.

Trying to get pictures and more info. Co-worker said it was super clean and a nice driver and I believe him, no financial gain for him with the sale, he just wants to see it go to someone that will appreciate it and the wife and kid could use some money as most of us do.

Hagerty online quote seemed sort of useless since I could only find one model (356A) on their site.

Pics, VIN, and engine number would go a long way. Without that the range is probably $25,000-55,000 depending on a variety of factors.
Mueller
Thanks, I'll ask for those items.

These are not really car people so the easiest method to find the VIN and engine number would be nice. I have the feeling I will have to walk them thru it.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 4 2017, 08:48 PM) *

Thanks, I'll ask for those items.

These are not really car people so the easiest method to find the VIN and engine number would be nice. I have the feeling I will have to walk them thru it.

If you want to email me direct I can send you pics of where to look and what to look for.
adam@unobtanium-inc.com
mb911
My dad's 64sc sold 6 years ago for 42k and it had a recent engine rebuild nice interior but externally was kind of a mess and needed to be bare metaled.. So not sure if that helps you at all.
Frankvw
a driving complete 356 starts FROM 50K euro in Europe, for that money of course you will not get a sorted out great driver, it will not be a 1959 and will need work, but that is obvious for 50K (around here that is). I know in Holland a 356 nice driver 1959 for sale, not restored but looking great for 100K. It all depends on what they have for sale. Between 50K and 100K in Holland for a driving 356.

mangrum
Go to the Porsche 356 Registry Classified site. Lots of discussion about cars for sale and their values: porsche356registry.org/classifieds
jim912928
get an issue of Excellence magazines market research pricing by model and year...they focus specific issues on specific models...but a good sources for that by model by year.
Mark Henry
Several years ago I sold a 59 (for a friend) that although numbers matching had severe cancer. It was up for sale on the bird with asking $11k. I got several lowball offers ranging from $1000 telling me it was a pile of scrap to $4-5k Then all of a sudden I had 3 serious lookers and in short order it was sold for $10K.

Then hell broke lose with a couple guys begging me for the car, offering me more money, wanted me to break the deal (I wouldn't but gone anyways) and/or the new owners contact info. This was all a few years before prices skyrocketed.

Research the price, be reasonable, but stick to your guns at least for a while. Figure out the wish price but also the realistic value.

Hagerty has an app that will give you the insurance (replacement) value, but it will be way over the real selling value. Go to the pelicanparts FS forum and look at selling prices, also join the 356 registry. If your not in a rush and do your homework then you will get the best price.

Tom_T
QUOTE(mangrum @ Jan 5 2017, 06:13 AM) *

Go to the Porsche 356 Registry Classified site. Lots of discussion about cars for sale and their values: porsche356registry.org/classifieds

agree.gif

Just what I was going to suggest. The `50's ones are generally selling for more, so maybe try to contact a member on there for help, & that's probably where your friend should list it.

Also try your local PCA Region for 356 owners there to contact for input, as there are a bunch up in the Bay Area.

PS - Panorama magazine & the PCA website probably has some 356s listed now too.

Excellence hasn't kept up on their pricing guides for some time now. So you're better off to go to the Hagerty Classic Car website's values section, but have you & your buddy fully read grading definitions of their price ranges (Excellent, Good, etc.), then very objectively rate his 356 by those rating levels. The most common mistake is folks always overrate their cars, so you'll need to be his reality check.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Wyvern
Hi ... I am in Concord (and the VP of Diablo PCA the local region) I am happy to help spread the word and help with info if I can .
As mentioned ... Photos, numbers will really help.
Unobtanium-inc
Most of the standard price guides don't work unless a car is running and driving. I run into this alot with people where their car doesn't fit on a price guide because it hasn't run in years. Completed auctions on ebay is a good indicator because it goes back several months, also the samba is good because there are always a good variety of project cars on there.
Mueller
QUOTE(Wyvern @ Jan 5 2017, 10:38 AM) *

Hi ... I am in Concord (and the VP of Diablo PCA the local region) I am happy to help spread the word and help with info if I can .

Thanks,

This might be a difficult one, co-worker talked to his sister-in-law..."car has sentimental value" which means it could sit in the garage wasting away for years before something positive happens sad.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 5 2017, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Wyvern @ Jan 5 2017, 10:38 AM) *

Thanks,

This might be a difficult one, co-worker talked to his sister-in-law..."car has sentimental value" which means it could sit in the garage wasting away for years before something positive happens sad.gif

Those are hard, the only thing worse is when someone dies and multiple family members have to agree. I have a guy who wants to sell me his dad's Speedster, his one sister says ok, the other sister says no. So I wait.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.