Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB 914 and need some experienced help please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Konasubs
Well I'm in my 50's and my last full car project was a ground up 68 datsun 2000 roadster in 1989. I had a chance to buy a 914 25 years ago and someone told me to shy away because of the cvd's.....well now that most imports have them that was lousy advise ....so friends my name is Dave and I live up in chico but I know there are a couple of nice examples in the LA so Cal market. I don't trust 3rd party sellers so I am wondering if one of you lives in this area and can do some recon with your experience with these cars are give me the low down. I would be willing to PayPal so gas and lunch money for your trouble....I hope this isn't being unreasonable. Your thoughts are welcome....TX in advance and I hope to have the right car in my garage someday soon. Regards all....Dave
mepstein
I would learn about these cars and do your own recon.
steuspeed
Buy the nicest car you can find/afford. The 73/74 2.0 is the most desirable. 75 and up you get the big bumpers. The early bumpers will bolt right on, but figure ~$800 for each end (bumper+rubber bumper top). Prices vary on condition. Check for rust in the longs under the doors if possible. Tight door gaps are tells. Rust in the hell hole which is down under the battery. There may be emission issues in CA? Maybe not in Chico? Check 914rubber site and skim items for ideas on replacement prices. I would budget a good driver around $8-12K.

`
Cairo94507
welcome.png Please do some intense reading here so you know what it is you will be looking for and be able to make a sound decision. When you find a car, post pics and details and I am sure you will get some responses. Also, if you ask, after you have done your initial screening, someone may pop up as available to go check it out. Don't be impulsive -be informed. Cheers. beerchug.gif
Shadowfax
welcome.png
cvd - cardiovascular disease?
Agree with Mark to check them out on your own, if possible. Fun little cars and well worth a look, even if the one you find might need a little work
welder.gif driving.gif
Konasubs
QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Jan 5 2017, 10:25 PM) *

welcome.png
cvd - cardiovascular disease?
Agree with Mark to check them out on your own, if possible. Fun little cars and well worth a look, even if the one you find might need a little work
welder.gif driving.gif

Well live 800 miles from 4 examples.....was hoping a local could chk out ....doing recon from that far away isn't possible when I own a biz....TX for input from those who gv me suggested years...constant velocity...I meant CV not cvd....sorry for that....
Steve
Keep your eye on the garage forum. There are lots of get togethers in the Bay Area plus swap meets. This is where you can meet other 914 nuts and find cars for sale much closer to you. Otherwise if you find a so cal car that looks good, post a ppi wanted in the garage. Lots of so cal guys that will check it out if the location is convenient for them.
Konasubs
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 6 2017, 09:27 AM) *

Keep your eye on the garage forum. There are lots of get togethers in the Bay Area plus swap meets. This is where you can meet other 914 nuts and find cars for sale much closer to you. Otherwise if you find a so cal car that looks good, post a ppi wanted in the garage. Lots of so cal guys that will check it out if the location is convenient for them.

thanks steve for the suggestion
76-914
If you find something you like post in the Garage and ask for someone near the car to do a PPI and make whatever offers you feel reasonable. It's done here all the time. Hint: If the seller won't show you detailed pic's of the Hell Hole area, Battery tray or the Longs, beneath the cat etc, etc then move on to the next one. welcome.png Kent
EdwardBlume
Cast a wide net and look daily. Be patient for a good deal, and buy as much as you can. These cars will even you out one way or another.
Krieger
Sac is not that far from you. Check out Craigs List.
mtndawg
Hi Dave, I'm in the Folsom area and have had very good luck locating nice cars in Stockton, Tahoe and Auburn. 3 cars in the last 8 years which had very little rust (the enemy). There's A LOT of junk out there for sale that's way overpriced, so be careful. PM me if you want to talk.
Claus Graf
Check for rust and loose nuts in the engine compartment. lol-2.gif
iankarr
The classifieds section here is a great place to look. Many of those cars and members are "known" to the community. 99% of members are honest to a fault. And buy buying from them helps you keep things in the family.

Other than that...knowledge is power. Read through the forums and learn as much as you can. The best, most accurate thing I've ever heard is that there's ALWAYS more rust than you can see. Buy the best, most solid car you can afford. You'll be buying someone else's restoration work at pennies on the dollar.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Ian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.