Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No, this is not another dumb tranny question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
I think i've found a trans. shop in the bay area. They came highly regarded anyway...

I asked them what they thought about building up a 901. They asked what kind of motor was going in it. Told 'em. They said it ain't going to hold up.

I asked, "What's a really tough trans?" The said a 091 bus trans. 6 rib to be exact. They said they had not heard of anyone doing a 914 conversion with a 091 tranny.
The did say the 091 trans is very tough and would more than likely hold up. They suggested I look furthur because if it's possible, it would be a good solution for the ft. lbs. i'm going to be creating. As opposed to the 915/930 option which would still put me up into the "Porsche" price range.

It offers thicker, deeper gears and wider bearings. 4 speed is fine. And they have a great selection of gear sets at a fraction of the cost of Porsche gears.

So I put this thought out to the mighty 914club members in hopes of creating another reliable 914 hybrid daiy driver. smilie_pokal.gif

Wadda' U think? smile.gif
ArtechnikA
well - as long as you'll be retaining a *few* VW parts in the car, i guess it's all right...

the questions are as always:

1) how you goinna shift it?
2) can you get an adapter plate and a clutch?
3) what are you going to do for axles?
4) can you flip the R&P or run it inverted, 'cause 4 gears reverse is silly?
5) can you get tall enough ratios?
Mueller
1st question:

is there an adapter plate/flywheel combo available for it if it uses a different bolt pattern than the 901???
(Kennedy should know)

I "think" that after 30 years of people putting SBC into 914's someone would have gone down this path if it was feasible wacko.gif

Let us know what you find out.....

Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 28 2005, 02:37 PM)
1st question:

is there an adapter plate/flywheel combo available for it if it uses a different bolt pattern than the 901???
(Kennedy should know)

I "think" that after 30 years of people putting SBC into 914's someone would have gone down this path if it was feasible wacko.gif

Absolutely. smile.gif
Now it's time to call Kennedy.... biggrin.gif
jwalters
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Apr 28 2005, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 28 2005, 02:37 PM)
1st question:

(Kennedy should know)

I "think" that after 30 years of people putting SBC into 914's someone would have gone down this path if it was feasible  :wacko:

Absolutely. smile.gif
Now it's time to call Kennedy.... biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif With the exceptiopn of CV hookup--it is a direct bolt in--as for shifting, the JAMAR sand mid engine shifter is highly adaptable, and only like 150 bucks--CB Performance has em in stock--

Remember guys, which engine did the "BUS" have???? A T4..................
Mueller
Remember guys, which engine did the "BUS" have???? A T4..................

that little piece of trivia is normally in the portion of my brain called "don't know, don't care" smile.gif

So can the R&P be flipped or not? If not can you turn the tranny upside down (I'm sure you can do this)

Type 4
The Bus gearbox ring gear cant be flipped over.
The only way it would work is to be run the gearbox upside down.
The also like to have the pinon break off at the shaft.
Dr. Roger
Just got off the phone with Bret at Kennedy. Hesays a flipped 091 wil drop the engine 5".

Also he says after the 901 mods (not using 1st gear) their every bit of a 091.

He suggests going 915 w/aftermarket linkage....
Mueller
not too sure about dropping the engine 5", you could just raise the trunk floor instead...........

as for the rest, I have no idea.....

915 is still big bucks........

someone mentioned a 930 gear box was in the classifieds already converted for use in 914 V8 car.... 5 grand ...pricey but aren't you refiniancing the house laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.